Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 1634   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.83/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Like the digits suggest, itís a beer thatís densely populated with flavor and loaded with character. We donít filter it, so none of its life and soul is stripped away. The first thing you notice is the hazy, cloudy appearance. Thatís how you know itís unfiltered. What hits you next is the spicy aroma of Cascade hops, followed by the crispy, fruity ale flavor delivered in a smooth, creamy body, the result of blending barley malt with torrified wheat. Itís not like any other Goose Island Beer, but no less that youíd expect.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Cartoonkhaki (1254) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 23, 2010
Yellowish with a small white head. The aroma is weak with light fruit hints and a bit of malt. Flavour is mild like the aroma. Watery palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Bragesnak (5394) - Aarhus, DENMARK - AUG 22, 2010
From Voldby, DK. Bottled, 180810. Yellow with white head. Aroma of wheat, citrus and spices. Flavor with some fruit notes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
JStax (5469) - Devola/Marietta, Ohio, USA - AUG 18, 2010
UPDATED: MAY 5, 2011 I enjoyed this beer a great deal. I ordered a 32 ounce cup of this on tap at an Avett Brothers concert and had a good deal of it gone before I could even get back to where I was standing for the show. Appearance is a hazy yellow. Taste was like a yeasty bread and the palate was banana nut bread. Great beer that I would love to try when Iím sober.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
rags2rags (149) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 15, 2010
On tap at Winking Lizard. Yellow pour with a surprisingly thin head. Weak aroma of wheat and citrus. Flavor doesnít take the aromas much further. Watery mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Nothing worth seeking out.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
maeib (8749) - Wootton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - AUG 15, 2010
Bottled. A hazy straw coloured beer with a white head. A wheaty yeasty aroma with a bit of fizzy fruit and a bit of orange. Middle of the road fruity wheaty flavours. Just an average beer but itís a boring style.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
rubbishystuff (2334) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 14, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 27, 2015 I get what Goose was going for. Something good for summer, low flavor that was easy drinking. It has succeeded in terms of it is very popular. And I am sure it is good at what it is trying to be. However this is not my kind of thing at all. It has just enough flavor to and just enough watery-ness to confuse the taste buds and make me fussy. It is exactly what I donít like about wheat ales. Serving: Bottle

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
porterhenson (13) - Illinois, USA - AUG 13, 2010
The color is ok and the aroma decent but when I put this beer to my lips and drink all I can think of is cold dishwater or dirty taps. I am a big fan of Goose Island otherwise with their other brews but this one always dissapoints.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
TheGent (656) - , Massachusetts, USA - AUG 10, 2010
Little let down by goose island. This as a pale yellow Hefe with some boring citrus and spice hotes. Needed a lemon wedge to make this most interesting. Guess it a decent middle of the road beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
larsniclas (6725) - Billdal, SWEDEN - AUG 5, 2010
Sampled at SBWF09 Hazy golden. white head. Light fruity and cereal aroma. Thin body with some citrus.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 1, 2010
Much like Rock Bottom, my Goose Island tasters were an impressive display of 5oz mini-nonic glasses. In my 5oz mini-nonic taster rested the hazy golden-straw depths of the 312 Urban Wheat, while atop her visage rested a fluffy white head. Her nose is lemon zest freshly squeezed over soft loaves of white and wheat bread while a whiff of coriander and white pepper drifts on by. A wheat beer, and rightfully named as such, I am glad to see she doesnít try to claim a German heritage that is not hers to claim. Mixed in with the lemon zest is a pleasing pith and skin bitterness. Light and refreshing, without further ado I put her palate to the test. Soft lemon cream and white breads caress my tongue and mouth, gliding across with supple finesse. Lemon soothes front and middle while white and wheat breads fill her middle and finish. Speaking of her finish, it is clean with little lingering esters to speak of, just a sense of brightness and lemon skin. Coriander and white pepper play in the background, mischief makers that they are, making fast friends with the lemon zest prevalent throughout her whole palate. Clean, refreshing, and even invigorating, I am proud to say I took home a screaming canary yellow 312 Urban Wheat t-shirt to mark the occasion.

This is what American wheat beers do best, and also why they are recognized as a style separate from Belgian Wits and German Hefeweizens. If more American craft brewers would recognize this, the possibilities they would create for their own wheat beers would be endless. In the meantime, Goose Island is ahead of the game.