Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - Rare

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 394   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.4   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
From Greg Hall:
"BCS rare, Iím excited. Brewed in 2008, aged for 24 months in 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle Barrels. These are the very best smelling barrels Iíve come across in 18 years of barrel aging beer. Barrels were originally filled with spirit in 1985. We have 50 bourbon barrels aging, it will be a one time bottling, it will not be repeated."

Belize2000 (23) - Loon Lake, Washington, USA - MAR 15, 2012
Bourbon County Stout by Goose Inland Bottled on 10-9-2009 #1936 13% abv My sister saved this one to share with me I must say it was the best Bourbon barrel aged stout I ever had and I wont more. Very dark brown or light black color, very little head, Strong notes of caramel, bourbon, and molasses, chocolate, Taste bourbon Carmel sweet malts very smooth diffidently alcohol taste. Thank You Goose Inland

Titusd84 (6) - Woodridge, Illinois, USA - MAR 16, 2012 does not count
Hands down the best beer I have ever had. Period end of review. Oh well just for fun, the aroma is incredible two years of sitting in a bourbon barrel will do that. The appearence is pitch black darkness. The taste is money huge bourbon lots of sweetness. For how boozy it smells it is incredibly smooth. Overall as I said the best beer I have ever had.

TheGuy (653) - Illinois, USA - JUN 10, 2012
I canít believe I have never rated this one yet, this brew is exceptional one of the best BA brews in the world,if you havenít had it yet it sucks to be you Iím so thankful that between me and a close friend we will be drinking this one for years to come,and each time it will be like I died and gone to heaven.

ICEatALAMO (990) - Troy, Michigan, USA - JUN 2, 2013
Bottle. Finally a beer that has lived up to the hype. The pour is dark with some head. The aroma is blissful, not overpowering bourbon, but enough to warm your nose. The taste is the smoothest beer I have ever had. Never had it fresh, but the bourbon is mellow, but has tons of flavor. Finishes perfectly smooth. Canít say enough about this beer, finally a 5.0!

shigadeyo (3075) - Harrison, Ohio, USA - AUG 2, 2013

Bottled on 11/19/2010 ~ Bottle Number 2975 ~ 1986-2009 Pappy Van Winkle Barrel

7/28/2011: Goose Island RARE Bourbon County Stout... Aroma: AWESOME! (but difficult to describe)... Vanilla, raisin, plum, high-end bourbon, black licorice, tobacco. Appearance: Deep, dark ruby-brown color, OPAQUE; fleeting dark brown-colored brown; oozing golden bubbles. Flavor: F-ing A! WOW! This beer is truly light years beyond the "regular" BCS... rich, deep, robust caramel tobacco; chewy, but muted black licorice; smooth, subtle VANILLA, a splash of red wine/port; roasted almond; really great refined bourbon alcohol and slight burn through the finish. Palate: Full body; silky SMOOTH and mellow; milky texture. Overall: Insanely good! #1 or #2 overall for me! Is there any more I need to say?! Yes, yes I do... This beer is WAY beyond what I expected. There was a lot of talk that this wasnít overly distinguishable from the regular BCS, but there is no comparison. This is a PHENOMENAL beer.

1 pint fl. oz. bottle (13% Alcohol by Volume) shared by alexsdad06. Thanks a lot, Brad. I appreciate it! Rating #318 for this beer.

merc7186 (2241) - North Tonawanda, New York, USA - OCT 9, 2013
I had this beer poured from a bomber (#3554) into a snifter glass. A: Dark Opaque Hue, Passes No Light, Mild Head Ring, No Lacing S: Vanilla, Bourbon T: Smoothe Bourbon, Vanilla M: Mild Carbonation, Full Bodied, Smooth Mild Booziness Overall, yep, the real deal.

Hogfather (65) - Thessaloniki, GREECE - SEP 28, 2014
I know it's not the best thing to do to overrate beers, but that was the best beer I've had so far. So complex and so simple at the same time. Black colour with dark tanned head. Aroma of chocolate, coffee and vanilla, wood and bourbon. Taste pretty much the same. Can't really describe it. Wish I had another one!

scooter131313 (22) - - NOV 24, 2014
A top-3 beer! A great stout. I can hardly wait for my next bottle to fill a tall and frosty glass. :-) ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hombrepalo (1852) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 25, 2010
Milestone #1000. What better way to cross into beer god status but with my favorite brewery, home town beer, and now my #1 beer. An honor to have made it this far into craft beer appreciation. The Rare beer bottled # 8,252... Dark thick creamy pour into a snifter glass, with some brown thin head like the original BCS. Aromas of chocolate, bourbon, vanilla and oak. Taste is phenomenal, outstanding chocolate & bourbon taste well balanced and long lasting (10-20 seconds after taste). Mouthfeel is the richest beer Iíve ever had, twice as much as the original BCS. Finish is smooth and lasting. Overall well balance and a gem. Earns the title of the best beer Iíve ever had and worth the hype. The quality of this piece of work doesnít have a price tag, well worth it for me and deserving of the $42 price.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
iamqueensblvd (247) - , Iowa, USA - DEC 26, 2010
Fortunately this beer lived up to its hype. Gorgeous and bountiful nose of bourbon and sweet vanilla upon opening. Pours a gorgeous black with nice tan head. Thick but not off-putting mouthfeel. Initial hints of bourbon transitioning into a slightly burnt coffee taste finally ending with those sweet hints of vanilla. pleasant flavors linger for a minute on the palate. Very delicious beer.