Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - Rare

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 379   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.4   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
From Greg Hall:
"BCS rare, I’m excited. Brewed in 2008, aged for 24 months in 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle Barrels. These are the very best smelling barrels I’ve come across in 18 years of barrel aging beer. Barrels were originally filled with spirit in 1985. We have 50 bourbon barrels aging, it will be a one time bottling, it will not be repeated."

Belize2000 (23) - Loon Lake, Washington, USA - MAR 15, 2012
Bourbon County Stout by Goose Inland Bottled on 10-9-2009 #1936 13% abv My sister saved this one to share with me I must say it was the best Bourbon barrel aged stout I ever had and I wont more. Very dark brown or light black color, very little head, Strong notes of caramel, bourbon, and molasses, chocolate, Taste bourbon Carmel sweet malts very smooth diffidently alcohol taste. Thank You Goose Inland

Titusd84 (6) - Woodridge, Illinois, USA - MAR 16, 2012 does not count
Hands down the best beer I have ever had. Period end of review. Oh well just for fun, the aroma is incredible two years of sitting in a bourbon barrel will do that. The appearence is pitch black darkness. The taste is money huge bourbon lots of sweetness. For how boozy it smells it is incredibly smooth. Overall as I said the best beer I have ever had.

TheGuy (653) - Illinois, USA - JUN 10, 2012
I can’t believe I have never rated this one yet, this brew is exceptional one of the best BA brews in the world,if you haven’t had it yet it sucks to be you I’m so thankful that between me and a close friend we will be drinking this one for years to come,and each time it will be like I died and gone to heaven.

ICEatALAMO (909) - Troy, Michigan, USA - JUN 2, 2013
Bottle. Finally a beer that has lived up to the hype. The pour is dark with some head. The aroma is blissful, not overpowering bourbon, but enough to warm your nose. The taste is the smoothest beer I have ever had. Never had it fresh, but the bourbon is mellow, but has tons of flavor. Finishes perfectly smooth. Can’t say enough about this beer, finally a 5.0!

shigadeyo (2973) - Harrison, Ohio, USA - AUG 2, 2013

Bottled on 11/19/2010 ~ Bottle Number 2975 ~ 1986-2009 Pappy Van Winkle Barrel

7/28/2011: Goose Island RARE Bourbon County Stout... Aroma: AWESOME! (but difficult to describe)... Vanilla, raisin, plum, high-end bourbon, black licorice, tobacco. Appearance: Deep, dark ruby-brown color, OPAQUE; fleeting dark brown-colored brown; oozing golden bubbles. Flavor: F-ing A! WOW! This beer is truly light years beyond the "regular" BCS... rich, deep, robust caramel tobacco; chewy, but muted black licorice; smooth, subtle VANILLA, a splash of red wine/port; roasted almond; really great refined bourbon alcohol and slight burn through the finish. Palate: Full body; silky SMOOTH and mellow; milky texture. Overall: Insanely good! #1 or #2 overall for me! Is there any more I need to say?! Yes, yes I do... This beer is WAY beyond what I expected. There was a lot of talk that this wasn’t overly distinguishable from the regular BCS, but there is no comparison. This is a PHENOMENAL beer.

1 pint fl. oz. bottle (13% Alcohol by Volume) shared by alexsdad06. Thanks a lot, Brad. I appreciate it! Rating #318 for this beer.

merc7186 (1957) - North Tonawanda, New York, USA - OCT 9, 2013
I had this beer poured from a bomber (#3554) into a snifter glass. A: Dark Opaque Hue, Passes No Light, Mild Head Ring, No Lacing S: Vanilla, Bourbon T: Smoothe Bourbon, Vanilla M: Mild Carbonation, Full Bodied, Smooth Mild Booziness Overall, yep, the real deal.

timfoolery (1124) - California, USA - AUG 17, 2013
Bottle from a T25 trade last year. Aroma of sweet bourbon, root beer barrels, plum, molasses, and caramel. Flavor really capture the exquisite Pappy bourbon and the root beer barrels. Some might say a hint of licorice. Appearance shows flat, but this one definitely has some hidden carbonation. Palate is wonderful. It's dancing on my tongue. I want to make ice blocks and skate on it, then thaw it in the Winter and drink it. Incredible beer! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

vvesside (256) - California, USA - AUG 20, 2013
Bottle shared with timfoolery. Amazing beer! I did not think that Rare could be that much better than the regular bourbon county stout. Boy was I wrong. It was like having super smooth bourbon, the best chocolate cake you’ve ever had, a couple candy rootbeer barrels, and a regular bourbon county stout somehow transformed into this one amazing beer.. Wow. Thanks Tim!!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dctriman (57) - USA - SEP 12, 2013
Really lucky to try this one at the Meridian Pint Goose Island migration week in Washington, D.C. Very tasty. Great flavor. This and King Hengry were the best of the night.

Marheb (1943) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 25, 2013
Une version plus onctueuse avec un bourbon plus complexe et mieux intégré que la régulière. Je suis vraiment surpris par leur différence, pas la distance qui les sépare mais plutôt la nature de leur spécificité. Les notes de chocolat sont beaucoup plus profondes, comme si je buvais un mi-cuit de chocolat noir. Je suis encore ému par ce nectar, même quelques semaines plus tard. La bouteille dans mon cellier va couler pour une occasion très spéciale, ai-je vraiment le choix.