overall

RATINGS: 2634   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.25   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
"I really wanted to do something special for our 1000th batch at the original brewpub. Goose Island could have thrown a party. But we did something better. We brewed a beer. A really big batch of stout-so big the malt was coming out of the top of the mash tun. After fermentation we brought in some bourbon barrels to age the stout. One hundred and fifty days later, Bourbon County Stout was born-A liquid as dark and dense as a black hole with a thick foam the color of bourbon barrels. The nose is a mix of charred oak, vanilla,carmel and smoke. One sip has more flavor than your average case of beer. It overpowers anything in the room. People have even said that itís a great cigar beer, but I havenít yet tried a cigar that would stand up to it." Brewmaster Greg Hall;
IBUís 60-High Color - Midnight
Was 11% abv,
2007 and 2008 - 13% abv
2011 - 14.5% abv
2012 - 15% abv
2013 - 14.9% abv
2014 - 14.4% abv

Editorís Note: Baudoinia Fulton & Wood Series offering (And the Low Storage entry from FoBAB 2012) is simply Bourbon County Stout aged in the same barrels. It has been alted as it offers no different recipe or barrel type simply the presence of a distillers fungus on the barrels that adds no distinct characteristic to the beer from the fungus itself except for possible oxygen exposure changes. While Brewers Intent indicates that they consider it a new beer, no true distinction aside from this oxidation amount and possible aging time differences seperates the beers. Itís essentially a single barrel Bourbon County version something we have always treated as regular Bourbon County Stout in the past.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
joekinty (263) - rockledge, Florida, USA - AUG 23, 2008
thanks mcbackus what a great stout great barrell notes in this dark dark beer chocolate and woods dominate flavor is great taste and aroma match perfectly not much better than this

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DTM (798) - Winters, California, USA - AUG 20, 2008
Bottle aquired in a trade with StFun. Poured black with absolutely no head. Smelled of a mint chocolate and bourbon. Tasted of chocolate and the tasted lingered at the back of my throat. I was very impressed. This beer would be great on a cold winter night. I was very surprised that the ABV was 13%!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DasGrau (18) - Topeka, Kansas, USA - AUG 20, 2008
This stuff pours like syrup and is ultra dark. It sort of smells like dark chocolate and a little whiskey warmed up together. WOW! it tastes like it smells. I will have one of these instead of dessert, please. Awesome.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dwaggs2 (1297) - Jefferson City, Missouri, USA - AUG 19, 2008
2007 Bottle. Pours a thick black color with a small thick creamy head. Smell is of bourbon and oak. Taste is very bourbon. Also in the taste is caramel. Very thick beer, you can taste the alcohol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
slimchill (1044) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 19, 2008
2007 Bottle. Bourbon and oak in the nose, light fruit and some chocolate deeper down. Inky ruby-black, still with no head. Very bourbon-heavy, but balanced with some roasty/smoky tones and chocolate. Amazing palate, chewy and engulfing. A bit boozy, but in good taste, appropriately emphasizing the bourbon flavors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
HonkeyBra (3730) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - AUG 19, 2008
2006 vintage. Pours jet black with a small brown head. Aroma is sharp from the strong suggestion of bourbon, with hints of chocolate, soy, and oak. Taste is heavy on the bourbon, with dark chocolate, vanilla, caramel, marshmallow, and maple syrup notes. Lots of alcohol make it a slow drinker, but at 11% that is to be expected. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Finish is long. This is the most impressive of the Goose Island reserve series and is ultimately very worthy of its high rating. Great beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
timfoolery (1124) - California, USA - AUG 18, 2008
Poured almost syrupy black with absolutely no head (like marriage). The aroma, but more-so the flavor, was overwhelmingly sweet and malty. The coffee flavors were put on hold for huge chocolate tones and BOURBON (duh), whereas DTM thought the aroma was more mint-chocolate. I agreed, and we continued to get worked in Halo, while maintaining the zen atmosphere (at least, until the beer was gone...).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
carruthm (1401) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 17, 2008
black with dark tan thick head
complez malts and coffee aroma
rich dark chocolate with a bourbon edge in the finish. Lots of chocolate.
lightly bitter with some chocolatey elements.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
fredandboboflo (1570) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 17, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 20, 2009 Bottle, 2007. So after 700+ ratings, I canít really add to anything others have said. Itís a bourbony beer whose bourbon is less overpowering than many others and whose base stout is better and shows through slightly more than in others. I enjoyed it greatly but I really fail to understand how a beer so dominated by BOURBON could be rated one of the top 50 BEERS out of tens of thousands. Maybe some day Iíll learn. 6-4-8-4-15/3.7

Rerate from multiple 2008 bottles. So I guess you could say Iíve learned now, and this has become one of my favorite beers. For a slow sipper and powerfully bourbony beer, this has to be one of the smoothest out there. No tannic woody notes, instead rich, lovely bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, caramel, molasses, pleasant, warming, sweet alcohol, not at all out of place, very much in place in fact. All in all, leaves nothing to be desired. While still a mood beer for me, one that I find myself increasingly in the mood for.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
LilBeerDoctor (3527) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 15, 2008
Bottle, 2007. Pours black with a small dark tan/red head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of bourbon. Flavor of bourbon, alcohol sweetness. I can tell that this is a better bourbon barrel aged beer than a lot of other BBA beers, but I can’t actually taste any of the underlying stout. I suppose it’s less bourbony than other beers, but it is definitely dominated by the bourbon. And I don’t want my beer to taste like bourbon, I want it to taste like beer. Also the 13% makes it extremely difficult to drink. Suffice it to say, I didn’t care for this bourbon bomb.