overall

RATINGS: 2443   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
"I really wanted to do something special for our 1000th batch at the original brewpub. Goose Island could have thrown a party. But we did something better. We brewed a beer. A really big batch of stout-so big the malt was coming out of the top of the mash tun. After fermentation we brought in some bourbon barrels to age the stout. One hundred and fifty days later, Bourbon County Stout was born-A liquid as dark and dense as a black hole with a thick foam the color of bourbon barrels. The nose is a mix of charred oak, vanilla,carmel and smoke. One sip has more flavor than your average case of beer. It overpowers anything in the room. People have even said that itís a great cigar beer, but I havenít yet tried a cigar that would stand up to it." Brewmaster Greg Hall;
IBUís 60-High Color - Midnight
Was 11% abv,
2007 and 2008 - 13% abv
2011 - 14.5% abv
2012 - 15% abv
2013 - 14.9% abv

Editorís Note: Baudoinia Fulton & Wood Series offering (And the Low Storage entry from FoBAB 2012) is simply Bourbon County Stout aged in the same barrels. It has been alted as it offers no different recipe or barrel type simply the presence of a distillers fungus on the barrels that adds no distinct characteristic to the beer from the fungus itself except for possible oxygen exposure changes. While Brewers Intent indicates that they consider it a new beer, no true distinction aside from this oxidation amount and possible aging time differences seperates the beers. Itís essentially a single barrel Bourbon County version something we have always treated as regular Bourbon County Stout in the past.

WickerBrew (311) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 2, 2007
Got the 2007 release this week and it blew my socks off. Best beer I have ever had, hands down no contest. Its a sticky, thick, sweetish crazy combination. The bourbon taste is obvious, very oaky. I have never had some of the other high powered midwestern stouts, but if they are better than this I will be shocked.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
valpoaj (631) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - NOV 1, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2007 2006 vintage; huge thanks to my buddy Russ for holding onto this one till I could get back to Chicago. Pour is pitch black; a bit thin, and has the thinnest of a dark tan head; almost non-existent. Aroma has strong hints of bourbon, vanilla and lighter hints of milk chocolate and brown sugar. Very heavy mouthfeel, the first thing that comes to mind is íAmazingí! Iíd wager that about 4 out of 5 times I go after a beer Iíve been yearning to try, I leave disappointed, but not this time! This sludge almost does the opposite of what I expected...hits up hard early with the bourbon, vanilla, smoky/tobacco and dark chocolate flavors and mellows just beautifully mid-drink, turning very soft with light chocolate flavor, sugary malts, and a beautiful, mellow warming at the end. Do yourself a favor...just hold some of this on the tongue for a bit and enjoy the beauty! Dare I say this is the first heavily hyped and desired brew that has actually exceeded my expectations. Minimal burn, especially for an 11% ABV and wow, what a wonderful sipper...damn near a perfect 5, but still leaving some room for improvement

Re-rate: 2007 vintage...much livelier, stronger bourbon presence, especially on palate. Tobacco notes more pronounced. Alcohol much stronger presence. Beer still excellent, but not the íoh my Godí I had with the one-year-aged 2006. Leaving current ratings pact as I plan to re-rate again in future after 2007 vintage ages for a year

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
kreepindeth (404) - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA - OCT 31, 2007
Pours black with a rocky tan head. Aroma of vanilla, bourbon, and wood. Mouthfeel stings like a cigar and finishes like a whisky. Flavors of tobacco, whiskey, vanilla, oak, and bittersweet cocoa.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Indra (2616) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - OCT 23, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2009 12oz. bottle, July 2006 vintage. Luscious aroma of rich dark chocolate, bittersweet cocoa powder, creamy milk chocolate, sweet vanilla, roasty espresso, plum, toffee, aged, burnt sugars and bourbon-soaked wood. A tempting prelude to what lies ahead. Thickly opaque ebony color with a light brown head forming a ring around the walls of the snifter. Flavor is satisfyingly powerful and robust, with layers of rich chocolate, dark caramel sweetness and maple sugar blended with unfathomable depths of roasty malt, dried fruits, and, towards the incredibly long finish, a brief glimpse of spicy hop bitterness, lingering cola and earthy bourbon barrel accents. Warming, exceedingly smooth, enveloping mouthfeel, body is vast and full. Nicely complex, almost luxurious in nature. Very impressive indeed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheBeerOrg (2145) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - OCT 20, 2007
Pours deep black and extremely dense with a fully receding dark brown head. Aroma of dark chocolate, bourbon, soy sauce, truffles, and tobacco. Taste is sweet with dark malts and a hint of the bourbon. Notes of chocolate, plums, licorice, and coffee. Mouthfeel is full bodied, creamy and oily with soft carbonation. Very nice, but Iím missing the bourbon.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 19, 2007
I am not a huge fan of bourbon-y beers (yet I love bourbon), but this one appealed to me. Its flavor is bourbon-y but also smokey and roasty and definitely complicated. Mouthfeel was about right...what I expected from this. The beer was viscous, but not over-the-top the way I found Sam Adams Triple Bock to be. I have a friend whoís a huge fan of beer, and while I find hoppy and sour to be more appealing beer flavors, I can certainly understand the appeal of this beer.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
mmcdowell3 (13) - USA - OCT 15, 2007
Good light aroma of bourbon, but not a very drinkable brew. No head at all?And the overbearing bourbon flavor didnt allow any of the rest of the beer through.. The only reason it got a 2 was for the label. .. thatís it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - OCT 14, 2007
Thanks to MikeTD. Black as night pour, no head. Aroma is bourbon all the way. Flavor is bourbon huge, still getting my coconut bourbon taste. Just an onslaught of bourbon very unbalanced. The chocolate and roasted barley are there as it warms but the flavor is very limited. Just a one-dimensional bourbon aged beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jbird73 (10) - orlando, Florida, USA - OCT 11, 2007
combination of choclate and bourbon to the nose hits me first then, very dark with a slight tan head. the bourbon flavor tends to dominate the palate.an interesting finish though

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Theis (13389) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - OCT 11, 2007
Bottle # 081605 Batch 1247 (Sune). Black beige head. Lots of bourbon, vanilla, coconut, coffee, chokolate, soft and smooth mouthfeeling, raisins, burned, schwartzbrot. Light sharp finish (Alcho-burn) Faboulos !!!!!!!