overall

RATINGS: 2628   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.25   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
"I really wanted to do something special for our 1000th batch at the original brewpub. Goose Island could have thrown a party. But we did something better. We brewed a beer. A really big batch of stout-so big the malt was coming out of the top of the mash tun. After fermentation we brought in some bourbon barrels to age the stout. One hundred and fifty days later, Bourbon County Stout was born-A liquid as dark and dense as a black hole with a thick foam the color of bourbon barrels. The nose is a mix of charred oak, vanilla,carmel and smoke. One sip has more flavor than your average case of beer. It overpowers anything in the room. People have even said that itís a great cigar beer, but I havenít yet tried a cigar that would stand up to it." Brewmaster Greg Hall;
IBUís 60-High Color - Midnight
Was 11% abv,
2007 and 2008 - 13% abv
2011 - 14.5% abv
2012 - 15% abv
2013 - 14.9% abv
2014 - 14.4% abv

Editorís Note: Baudoinia Fulton & Wood Series offering (And the Low Storage entry from FoBAB 2012) is simply Bourbon County Stout aged in the same barrels. It has been alted as it offers no different recipe or barrel type simply the presence of a distillers fungus on the barrels that adds no distinct characteristic to the beer from the fungus itself except for possible oxygen exposure changes. While Brewers Intent indicates that they consider it a new beer, no true distinction aside from this oxidation amount and possible aging time differences seperates the beers. Itís essentially a single barrel Bourbon County version something we have always treated as regular Bourbon County Stout in the past.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TheRealBastard (145) - The-No, California, USA - FEB 5, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2008 This is really really good. Always sounded good to me and I finally got my hands on some. I ended up getting 3 bottles of it, between two people (James and Hank thanks!) and it was amazing. I will always trade for this beer. Nose is bourbon, taste is all bourbon with a tiny bit of coffee and chocolate flavors. Mainly bourbon, if you dislike bourbon donít even bother with this one. Save it for me please. If I could buy this on a regular basis it would easily become my top priority at the liquor store. You cannot be a puss to drink this. For any rating out there below a 4 is probably because they dislike bourbon. So take my rating as a warning so another bottle is not wasted on those unworthy! This should never move out of the 100 percentile IMO.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RblWthACoz (964) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - FEB 5, 2008
I pop the cap and a whiff of mystery just hits my nose, and the bottle is a foot from my face. Pours pitch black with just a very small amount of tan head on the top. Nose hints of vanilla. A nice little tease for the senses really. Flavor is thick and complex. Vanilla, thick malts, and a load of body just come together. Thick liquid feel and a low carbonation still feel nice. Drinkable? This is more an interesting sipper. Something to ponder, and probably something that could use a few more years to mellow and chill.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
nearbeer (4123) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 3, 2008
12 oz. 2007 vintage. Pitch black with a thick and creamy two-finger head that settles into a soapy halo. Aroma is a freshly crumbled Baby Ruth in a just-emptied bourbon glass. Flavor starts with espresso, chocolate, caramel, vanilla and oak, then adds some charry wood, tobacco, and alcohol for the slightly smoky and balanced finish. Heavy body is velvety smooth and coats your teeth and tongue nicely. Tingly, warming alcohol afterwards. What a dessert!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BOLTZ7555 (2960) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JAN 31, 2008
Iíll give this one points for bold, unique, and original...pitch black brew with absolutely no head, this beer is all vanilla, campfire, símores, and hard-alcohol. Bourbon is heavy on the palate and unmistakeable. If you are a fan, you will definitely be a fan of this. I can understand why some rate this poorly, although the craftsmanship here is remarkable. If you enjoy Coors, Bud, or Michelob...DONíT TRY THIS!!! It mellows with warmth...this is a very nice stout!!!!

afterglow (1047) - Florida, USA - JAN 31, 2008
2007 Bottle. Pours black with a small brown head that leaves some lacing. Aroma of heavy bourbon, roasted malt, coffee, caramel, vanilla, and oak. Taste is the same as aroma with heavy emphasis on the bourbon and alcohol. Medium full mouthfeel with a moderated amount of bitterness and very noticable alcohol but never hot. Very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BigBeer45 (1319) - Michigan, USA - JAN 30, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2012 2012 Bottle, this beer had a black pour, the pour looked thick, syrupy like, there was a thin dark tan colored head that receded to a patch of bubbles in the center of the beer and a small ring, this beer was too dark to see through but I saw some bubbles flowing up the sides of the glass and there was a dime size mound of bubbles on top of the beer, there was some spots and small fingers of lacing that flowed off the glass, there was no sediment in the bottle, the aroma was bourbon alcohol with a bit of a bite on the nostrils, vanilla, chocolate liquor, roasted malt, faint chocolate, the bourbon was dominant on the nose, everything else took a backseat to the bourbon, the flavor was big bourbon alcohol and sweetness, chocolate, some roasted malt, vanilla, chocolate cake sweetness, very sweet on the mouth, the mouth feel was thick and syrupy like, it coated the tongue and gave a alcohol bite that tingles the nostrils, this beer was very bourbon and very sweet, a bit too much sweetness for me to enjoy, maybe, I hope this version of BCS calms down with aging, I can only take small sips of this drink, way too sweet to drink more than a small glass, I would only enjoy this in small quantity on a cold Winter day, I liked the 13% alc. BCS much more, glad I have a few older bottles in my stash.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
CP (124) - USA - JAN 29, 2008
It says Bourbon on the label and this "beer" is certainly that. It is a brutal beer because of its ABV. The alcohol is not hidden, its pretty up front and in your face. Other flavors are apparent when held on the palate but the strong bourbon aftertaste is always there. This beer will be a one and done for me, unless I can share a bottle. Trust me..poor this one in a shot glass...its pretty much just bourbon.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Drink4Satan (676) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JAN 27, 2008
Pours like motor oil with a late forming, minimal brown head with no retention. Itís got legs and is so thick that it stains the glass and creates a mirror finish of the surface. The nose is rich complex, with chocolate dipped cherries, vanilla and wood from the cask, with a whisper of bourbon. The flavour is smokey, sweet and earthy with bourbon, charred wood, hop bitterness, star anise, rich chocolate, hints of bourbon and nougat. The booze comes through with a nice warming in the finish. The palate is silky smooth and softly carbonated. Long finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Tilley4 (218) - Huron, Tennessee, USA - JAN 27, 2008
Bottle courtesy of Gregis. Jet black motor oil pour with absolutely no head at all. Looks like used motor oil swirling around in my DFH pint glass. Overwhelming aroma of bourbon to this one. Maybe some chocolate lingering somewhere in the background but this is definitely all good olí Kentucky Bourbon. Iím amazed at how smooth and tasty this beer is. This is what all barrel aged stouts should strive to acheive. The bourbon taste is definitely prevalent but itís as smooth as a babyís behind. Some roasted malts and chocolate are there too but itís mostly smooth ass bourbon. This one is definitely a sipper as it burns going down but itís a wonderful brew. I couldnít have more than one at a time but I donít know that I would want more than one. This is an amazing beer...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
emerica56 (600) - Bristol, Rhode Island, USA - JAN 27, 2008
This is an amazain barrel aged stout. I have never had any thing that has smelled so much like burbon before having this beer. The color is so dark and there is no head at all. The aroma is extreamly strong filled with burbon,wood,and chocolate. As it warmed up and i took a sip my mought was filled with chocolate burbon bitterness which was so awesome. I realy like the creamy smooth texture on the tounge as i sip on it. Also the cherry vanilla in the after taste is amazing followed by the chocolate woodyness. If beers could be in te 110 percentile then this one would definitly be there.