overall

RATINGS: 2445   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
"I really wanted to do something special for our 1000th batch at the original brewpub. Goose Island could have thrown a party. But we did something better. We brewed a beer. A really big batch of stout-so big the malt was coming out of the top of the mash tun. After fermentation we brought in some bourbon barrels to age the stout. One hundred and fifty days later, Bourbon County Stout was born-A liquid as dark and dense as a black hole with a thick foam the color of bourbon barrels. The nose is a mix of charred oak, vanilla,carmel and smoke. One sip has more flavor than your average case of beer. It overpowers anything in the room. People have even said that itís a great cigar beer, but I havenít yet tried a cigar that would stand up to it." Brewmaster Greg Hall;
IBUís 60-High Color - Midnight
Was 11% abv,
2007 and 2008 - 13% abv
2011 - 14.5% abv
2012 - 15% abv
2013 - 14.9% abv

Editorís Note: Baudoinia Fulton & Wood Series offering (And the Low Storage entry from FoBAB 2012) is simply Bourbon County Stout aged in the same barrels. It has been alted as it offers no different recipe or barrel type simply the presence of a distillers fungus on the barrels that adds no distinct characteristic to the beer from the fungus itself except for possible oxygen exposure changes. While Brewers Intent indicates that they consider it a new beer, no true distinction aside from this oxidation amount and possible aging time differences seperates the beers. Itís essentially a single barrel Bourbon County version something we have always treated as regular Bourbon County Stout in the past.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
csbosox (1223) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - APR 26, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 16, 2005 12oz bottle, bottled 010105. Served @ 47.5į in my NB worthy glass. Pours dark black and thick with a cappicino colored head. The head justs hangs out on the side of the glass when you take a drink. The aroma started when I popped the cap, and when I stuck my nose into the beer I was left with aromas of chocolately malt, vanilla, oak, bourbon, citrusy fruits and to a lesser extent, dark fruits. Real nice nose! The taste is big, dark malt, oak, bourbon (not overpowering), citrus, and maybe a touch of coffee. This is tasty stuff, reminds me of Dark Lord. The mouthfeel is HUGE, it is really thick stuff. I know it has a 4+ score, which sits it in the 98%, but it might actually be underrated, this is one of the best imperial stouts I have ever had and I usually am pretty picky about bourbon aged beers, it is way too easy to overdo the bourbon flavors. This son of a bitch is so BIG that the bourbon adds flavor without overpowering. Near the end, at 56.5į, the bourbon is more apparent, but still not overpowering. Very, very nice. You should aim for the current bottling according to CaptainCougarís review of this and the older bottling. RERATE: New batch, was able to drive to my local liquor store and get, thats exciting! Bottled 08.16.05. Served at 57.6į in a NB worthy glass. Iím sure the appearance is the same as last time. That bourbon is in the mose, lets hope it isnít overpowering in the taste, that was one of the things I LOVED about the last one. Aroma is large, chocolately malt with oak, vanilla, alcohol, coffee, a bright fruitness, maybe a bit of pine. The inital taste is chocolately malt, coffee, oak, vanilla followed by a rush of alcohol and bourbon flavors along with some fruity bitterness and astringent coffee. The bourbon is in this beer, it is very strong, in fact, but the sheer size of this beer, combined with its other strong flavors, is able to contain it. This beer is a mouthfull and leaves a definate burn in the mouth. The body is large but the alcohol really cuts through it. I seem to remember that the alcohol is accentuated as this beer warms, probably will try it again straight from the cellar on a cold winter day. I would have rated it 9/5/8/4/18, 4.4

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - APR 26, 2005
Poured deep black with a minimal brown head. Oily and leaves a brown film on the glass. Aroma of bourbon, alcohol, and chocolate. Flavor of bourbon (bordering too much), with roasted malt hidden underneath. Plenty of alcohol as well. Very warming. Full body.

StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 25, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 27, 2005 2005 bottle, consumed December 2005.
In my new Goose Island Brewmasters Reserve glass, nonetheless, which I picked up last weekend for this special pilgrimage. Deep, dark black liquidity and a beautiful dark, creamy tan head that sits on the surface and moves down the sides of the glass with elegant frothy ripples. A little thinner on the pour than last yearís batch, but still opaque in the glass. Aroma and flavor are uncannily consistent with last yearís batch. Perhaps a touch more caramel nougats in the aroma, and vanilla via nose and mouth, but I think itís just been my evolution as a beer rater and my appreciation for what Greg Hall and the rest of the Goose Island team has accomplished with this beer. Flavor dimensions resound with familiar echos and predominantly pull from dark chocolate truffles basking in bourbon. Authoritative with every nuance. The bourbonís not a little pick-me-up, itís the leading lady and she daunts the shit out of you, yet masochistically, I donít think I could ever get enough of her.

I waited nearly a year to have this one again, and now after doing so, I feel absolutely certain that this beer has attained perfection, which was something I was hesitant to exclaim in my early rating days, but something that definitely warrants declaring now.

2004 bottle, consumed April 2005.
Thick and black; dense. Minimal amoeba shaped head. Aroma is... holy bourbon, Mother of... Some molasses, charred oak and alcohol wafts. Flavor is... my Lord, rich rich rich. Velvety chocolate. Smooth vanilla, bourbon and oak. Tastes like a white chocolate truffle filled with Irish cream liquor. So thick. So smooth. Divine execution of malts and hops. A fine beer in every sense. Finish is mocha-laden and cotes the palate like wax. This one could easily replace any meal of the day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sloth (2483) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - APR 24, 2005
Makes a quiet entrance. Pours a small brown head that falls as quickly as it appeared. Satin black brew. Whisky up front in the nose with light roast and vanilla notes. Full body, large. Sweet malts, whisky, chocolate, licorice, lightly smokey and raisiny. An almost dry finish, warm, chocolatey, roastesque. A little rough around the edges but thats OK. Thanks Tom!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 21, 2005
12 oz bottle pours a thick jet black with a small brown head that doesnít last long with not much lacing either. Aromas of coconut, cake, chocolate and bourbon. Coconut, cookie, vanilla, chocolate, bourbon and coffee flavors. Full bodied with a oily thick mouthfeel, finishes sweet. This is a really amazing stout.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
StoutCat (89) - North Laurel, Maryland, USA - APR 18, 2005
Dark brown pour, almost completely opaque. Thin beige head nicely tops off the beer during pour, but dissapates quickly. Smells tantilizingly of bourbon, with its distinctive choclate and molasses essence. Beer is thick, almost chewable, and follows through on its aromatic promises with lots of chocolate and thick molasses taste. Wonderful beer, one of my favorites.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 13, 2005
Looks: solid black, thick, unyielding, with a solid slab of cocoa-tan foam resting well above. Smell: whiskey, charcoal, leather and molasses, rich and twisted with further flickers of carob and anise,...heady and delirious. Entices one to taste... On the tongue: thick and full, all the way, slick, tasty, but...damn, this is a doozy! Wow, one taste, and it sticks and lingers...oooh, la, la, la...and, every taste lasts a long time, it stands so thick on the palate and in the memory, that one neednít return so soon. but, who can resist? I taste again, and itís thicker and richer than before...amazing! A bona-fide runner up to Dark Lord, for thickest and chewiest IS....and so slick with the whiskey effect, which Iím especially susceptible to...I need a case of this, not one 12 ounce bottle. Thereís too much flavor here tosit in so small a vessell.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dorwart (2374) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - APR 9, 2005
Thin dark brown head of very fine bubbles. Almost no carbonation but who cares with an aroma like this. Spectacular! A light whisky note along with vanilla, milk, oak, alcohol and roasted grains. Color is black. Silky smooth and powerful in the mouth. Big alcohol presence. Loads of chewy malts (very thick), more whisky, oak, vanilla and burnt grains. Complex aroma and flavor. Finish is creamy and smooth. Thick and coats the mouth. Nice alcohol warming as it goes down. A GREAT imperial stout that reminds me of Weyerbacher Heresy. A BIG thanks to Drnk_McDermott for this jem.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
LilKem (1213) - Marietta, Ohio, USA - APR 8, 2005
Thanks to Rudolf for bringin this to SD and sharing while I was out there (yes, I am still trying to catch up on the ratings from weeks ago.) This had good aroma, chocolatey, nugat-ty, and carmel undertones. This was a pleasure to drink. I only wish I didnít have cheetos on the palate when I tried it. lol. But serious, it had a thick good bodied mouthfeel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerandrugby (210) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 29, 2005
draft (cask) Wrigleyville Chicago. I was excited to see that this beer was on cask at the brewpub. A lucky find I think! Poured (drawn) a dark rick black with a tan head. Intense sweet aroma of heavy malt, roasted, bourbon, and chocolate. Inintial sweet roasted chocolate, licorice, malty, taste that rolled slowly across the palate to reveal an oaky bourbon flavor with a nice dose of hops to even things out. Great mouthfeel, very very nice beer! Itís really too bad we cannot get Goose Island products here in Tennessee. One of my favorite beers I have tasted! I would like to taste it bottled...I think the cask aging is a boost to the flavor. If you live in Chicago rush over to the brewery to try this beer!