overall

RATINGS: 2426   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
"I really wanted to do something special for our 1000th batch at the original brewpub. Goose Island could have thrown a party. But we did something better. We brewed a beer. A really big batch of stout-so big the malt was coming out of the top of the mash tun. After fermentation we brought in some bourbon barrels to age the stout. One hundred and fifty days later, Bourbon County Stout was born-A liquid as dark and dense as a black hole with a thick foam the color of bourbon barrels. The nose is a mix of charred oak, vanilla,carmel and smoke. One sip has more flavor than your average case of beer. It overpowers anything in the room. People have even said that itís a great cigar beer, but I havenít yet tried a cigar that would stand up to it." Brewmaster Greg Hall;
IBUís 60-High Color - Midnight
Was 11% abv,
2007 and 2008 - 13% abv
2011 - 14.5% abv
2012 - 15% abv
2013 - 14.9% abv

Editorís Note: Baudoinia Fulton & Wood Series offering (And the Low Storage entry from FoBAB 2012) is simply Bourbon County Stout aged in the same barrels. It has been alted as it offers no different recipe or barrel type simply the presence of a distillers fungus on the barrels that adds no distinct characteristic to the beer from the fungus itself except for possible oxygen exposure changes. While Brewers Intent indicates that they consider it a new beer, no true distinction aside from this oxidation amount and possible aging time differences seperates the beers. Itís essentially a single barrel Bourbon County version something we have always treated as regular Bourbon County Stout in the past.

kdm1984's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
kdm1984 (634) - Missouri, USA - NOV 13, 2012
Pours pitch black with small head that dies quickly; no lacing. Aroma is mega-super-duper - I could literally smell this about half a foot away after I poured it. Up close, itís vanilla, bourbon, the best dark chocolate aroma I have ever encountered, licorice, booze, and maybe even a bit of fruit. Taste: @*#&! This is ... WOW! *@&#! I do not even know how to describe right now. Let me try now that I have settled down. Bourbon, dark chocolate, vanilla, booze, more bourbon, more dark chocolate. Greatest mouthfeel ever - not thin at all, but not thick - just silky and enveloping. Flavor lingers for ... I feel like I am going to taste this another 20 years. Demands to be savored slowly, and good thing, because that ABV sure is high. &*@#! This is the most flavorful beer I have ever had, and everything works together so well. Founders Breakfast Stout was great, yeah, but this...this is just in another dimension.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bastarda (55) - Freiburg, GERMANY - JUL 28, 2014
shared@2nd D/F/CH TriStateTasting, courtesy of bartlebier, thank you! aromas of oak barrels, dried plums, chocolate; taste with components of melted dark chocolate, raisins, bourbon, with a distinct finish of coffee and malt-coffee notes. Alcohol very well hidden. Wonderful!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jaghana (3764) - Strasbourg (France), FRANCE - JUL 25, 2014
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2014 Bottle 33cl @2ndTSRB, a dark beer with low head. Nose is on dark chocolate, oxidised, fig and prune, very nice. Aroma is very nice on dark chocolate, fig, sweet candied prune, round caramel, vinous, oak, vanilla, tannic, creamy, very complex, licorice. Exceptional brew, delicious, very long aftertaste on dark chocolate and fig notes, the kind of beer I like most.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Luk_ (93) - Quebec, CANADA - JUL 22, 2014
Bottle 2013 vintage. Pours a dark black with receding dark brown head. Aroma is intense bourbon characteristics such as vanilla, wood and coconut. Some dark chocolate and tobacco, bourbon, vanilla. Taste is huge: dark chocolate, ashy, tobacco. Very rich and mouthcoating. Reconforting alcohol burn.Truly, a classic.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
eRock_2013 (210) - South Carolina, USA - JUL 22, 2014
Enjoying this brew in honor of my lovely girlfriend's birthday, this barrel aged stout is absolutely delicious, exceeding my already high expectations. This was a random gift from a friend of a friend, and am I thankful to have tried this! 2013 vintage bottle pours a ridiculous dark black color with some dark tan head, looks like liquid dark chocolate. Aroma likewise is of chocolate but also vanilla, red fruit, and of course bourbon whiskey. Taste is amazing, fresh dark chocolate, oak, roasted malt. Finishes with a sweet caramel/toffee, almost like I took a bite out of a chocolate bar. Also bourbon accents like I just took a shot of Jack Daniels too. Just awesome, the only subtraction is for the boozy/alcohol bite that I would rather not have, but it's not overpowering. Oh and the mouthfeel/texture is perfectly full-bodied, smooth, and rich. I'll never be a stout fan but this is among the greatest beers I've ever tasted! If I ever find it again I'll be sure to buy and keep in stock for special occasions! Great dessert beer too.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bigda83 (131) - Jamestown, New York, USA - JUL 21, 2014
Draft at Blue Monk. Wow, what an amzing beer. Poured a deep black and had a medium beige head. Aroma really hits you with with bourbon, oak, chocolate, alcohol, and vanilla. Taste follows the nose pretty well. Itís a sipper, but I found myself wanting to drink it faster because it was so good. This was my first bourbon county offering from GI and hopefully I will get to try more.

gendeftinwolf (1) - - JUL 18, 2014 does not count
This beer is simply amazing.I would walk 500 miles.... Climb the highest mountains... All for this one. But seriously, this isnít for beginners. It has a heavy flavor and drinks so smooth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
HonusWagner (1331) - Florida, USA - JUL 13, 2014
Sweet with flavors of bourbon, toffee, light cocoa. Kinda straightforward and not particularly my thing past having its flavors in the right places. Certainly a good beer without obvious flaws, but also not exciting for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Madsen1635 (222) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 12, 2014
Bottle. Black pour with no significant head. Wild beer. Aroma has coffee toffee and malt. Fresh taste with complexity.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
puboflyons (2077) - Allenstown, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 7, 2014
From the 12 fl. oz 2013 batch bottle. The pour is jet black and completely blocks any light from getting through. The aroma is mostly of chocolate malts but the bourbon liquor really cuts to the quick and rips through my nose. Dark fruit and yeast. The body is as full as it can be and chewy like gum. The bourbon on the nose is not as powerful in the taste but that hard liquor bite really canít be avoided along with the sweet chocolate and long bitter finale. Everyone loves this one and I canít argue with them and it probably gets my highest rating in the seven years Iíve been on Rate Beer. If the booze was mellower Iíd give it 5 out of 5.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rouhlas (79) - GREECE - JUL 4, 2014
355 ml bottle, 2009 vintage, at home. Black color with small beige-brown head. Aroma is bourbon, wood, roasted malt, chocolate, vanilla, raisins and alcohol. Taste begins sweet, it becomes bitter and it is almost like the aroma with flavors of bourbon, chocolate and vanilla. Full body with creamy feel, soft carbonation and bitter alcoholic finish. Very good! The first BCBS that I tried was 2008 vintage at Mikkeller bar (Viktoriagade) 1 hour after I had woken up and before going to Sparta Hallen for the second day of CBC 2012. That was perfect! The best BCBS I íve had so far. I tried vintage 2012 just after it was released and the bourbon and alcohol was too much! So I think that this beer becomes much better after some years!