overall

RATINGS: 2373   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.24   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
"I really wanted to do something special for our 1000th batch at the original brewpub. Goose Island could have thrown a party. But we did something better. We brewed a beer. A really big batch of stout-so big the malt was coming out of the top of the mash tun. After fermentation we brought in some bourbon barrels to age the stout. One hundred and fifty days later, Bourbon County Stout was born-A liquid as dark and dense as a black hole with a thick foam the color of bourbon barrels. The nose is a mix of charred oak, vanilla,carmel and smoke. One sip has more flavor than your average case of beer. It overpowers anything in the room. People have even said that itís a great cigar beer, but I havenít yet tried a cigar that would stand up to it." Brewmaster Greg Hall;
IBUís 60-High Color - Midnight
Was 11% abv,
2007 and 2008 - 13% abv
2011 - 14.5% abv
2012 - 15% abv
2013 - 14.9% abv

Editorís Note: Baudoinia Fulton & Wood Series offering (And the Low Storage entry from FoBAB 2012) is simply Bourbon County Stout aged in the same barrels. It has been alted as it offers no different recipe or barrel type simply the presence of a distillers fungus on the barrels that adds no distinct characteristic to the beer from the fungus itself except for possible oxygen exposure changes. While Brewers Intent indicates that they consider it a new beer, no true distinction aside from this oxidation amount and possible aging time differences seperates the beers. Itís essentially a single barrel Bourbon County version something we have always treated as regular Bourbon County Stout in the past.

StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 25, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 27, 2005 2005 bottle, consumed December 2005.
In my new Goose Island Brewmasters Reserve glass, nonetheless, which I picked up last weekend for this special pilgrimage. Deep, dark black liquidity and a beautiful dark, creamy tan head that sits on the surface and moves down the sides of the glass with elegant frothy ripples. A little thinner on the pour than last yearís batch, but still opaque in the glass. Aroma and flavor are uncannily consistent with last yearís batch. Perhaps a touch more caramel nougats in the aroma, and vanilla via nose and mouth, but I think itís just been my evolution as a beer rater and my appreciation for what Greg Hall and the rest of the Goose Island team has accomplished with this beer. Flavor dimensions resound with familiar echos and predominantly pull from dark chocolate truffles basking in bourbon. Authoritative with every nuance. The bourbonís not a little pick-me-up, itís the leading lady and she daunts the shit out of you, yet masochistically, I donít think I could ever get enough of her.

I waited nearly a year to have this one again, and now after doing so, I feel absolutely certain that this beer has attained perfection, which was something I was hesitant to exclaim in my early rating days, but something that definitely warrants declaring now.

2004 bottle, consumed April 2005.
Thick and black; dense. Minimal amoeba shaped head. Aroma is... holy bourbon, Mother of... Some molasses, charred oak and alcohol wafts. Flavor is... my Lord, rich rich rich. Velvety chocolate. Smooth vanilla, bourbon and oak. Tastes like a white chocolate truffle filled with Irish cream liquor. So thick. So smooth. Divine execution of malts and hops. A fine beer in every sense. Finish is mocha-laden and cotes the palate like wax. This one could easily replace any meal of the day.

railcat1 (676) - Hammond, Indiana, USA - MAR 13, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 23, 2006 another great find at local store.i had heard about it and happen to find it .strong bourbon aftertaste but done well and is very easy to drink.dark thick and a very good sipping beer but was worth the price.try it if you like this type of barrel aged beer.

DeppityBob (28) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - JUN 2, 2006
Simply astounding. I have one bottle left and I am saving it to celebrate when my nephew and I open our own business. Itís that good.

emacgee (3871) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - DEC 24, 2006
Obtained in trade with brewblackhole (many thanks). Pours the blackest of black brews, allows absolutely no light penetration. The darkness is complete, like oil. The head is nonexistent, with brown patches showing up in places. Leaves a brown creamy film over the glass. The aroma is very sweet and very complex. Oak, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, alcohol. Absolutely complete and perfect aroma and appearance. The flavor is also extremely complex. There is so much going on in this beer that its overwhelming. Chocolate, molasses, alcohol, vanilla, oak. Amazing. The palate, is full, thick, velevety, smooth. The finish is full and warm. An amazing beer.

WickerBrew (311) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 2, 2007
Got the 2007 release this week and it blew my socks off. Best beer I have ever had, hands down no contest. Its a sticky, thick, sweetish crazy combination. The bourbon taste is obvious, very oaky. I have never had some of the other high powered midwestern stouts, but if they are better than this I will be shocked.

drpimento (2098) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 7, 2007
B-I-N-G-O_! HMFA This is over the top. Having this at the beertasting and it is divine! Luscious. Thick and rich. So much going on take forever to describe it all. Aroma, color, body, head, finish are unequaled. Damn fine.

rlgk (9387) - GŲteborg/JŲnkŲping, SWEDEN - MAR 3, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2013 Rerate 2013-03-22. I just have to give this beer top score. Drinking it together with Bells Expedition Stout and they are equally good. Old rating from 2008: 4,8.Bottle. Pitch black, brown head. Bourbon aroma, malty, vanilla, whiskty, vinous, smoked, tar, viol, licorice, milky and creamy notes, roasted and with oak notes. Bourbon flavor, oak, wood, vanilla, tar, sweetish, some almond, oily, tarmilky smoked and rather roasted, almost burnt notes. Whisky finish that lasts forever and also brings some bitterness. 13 percent and no alcohol showing. I love it!

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - MAR 7, 2008
Thanks footy for number 1100. Pours a thick, black oily substance w/ a modest head and minial lacing. Strong aromas of dark chocolate pudding, vanilla. Nice! Full nectar like heavy cream w/ soft residual effers. A huge chocolate malt backbone w/ defined Bourbon basting. Deep roasted coffee bean and freshly cooked chocolate pudding all wrapped together w/ a stinging asprin bittering. This stuff is amazing. Itís chunky, chewy, warming, and very generous. This brew is decadent and filling. Huge roast, brownies, vanilla, sweet yet balanced. Trump visual.

TheGuy (653) - Illinois, USA - JUL 8, 2008
UPDATED: APR 13, 2011 Pours black and thick with a nose from bourbon,vanilla, chocolate,and coffee,with a tan and brown head the taste is off the hook of all the fore mentioned ingredients the mouth feel is velvety smooth and AMAZING with each sip and sniff Iím in beer geek heaven each time I have this beer I ask my self, self is there any thing better out there and the anwser is NO this is the beast BA RIS in the world bar none

roguemonk (9) - Orland Park, Illinois, USA - OCT 19, 2008 does not count
Probably my favorite annual offering. Had a mini vertical 2007-2008. Both were different but extremely delicious. Perfection in a glass. Dark chocolate, caramel with wrapped in a beautiful robe of bourbon. A truly inspired beer...Also recently had the Blueberry Bourbon County Stout at the brewpub...Mind expanding!