RATINGS: 891   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Specialty Belgian malts create a deep garnet color and a truly rich old European flavor in our classic Christmas Ale. And the generous amount of crystal hops adds that extra spicy aroma to your pint, perfect for a wintry night. Our Christmas Ale brings good tidings and joy to each Holiday Season. A two-time Gold Medal Winner in the World Beer Championships.

The original Goose Island Christmas Ale clocked in at 5.7% ABV. There was no 2010 vintage. The 2011 vintage saw a bump to 6.2% ABV but no new entry. The 2012 vintage was bumped up further to 7.5% ABV.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
avrv99 (17) - USA - NOV 10, 2002
not a bad brew at all...usually only drink one or two a year, and I always tell myself I should get more. High quality, I especially like the finish, very smooth; a quality product like most of what Goose Island makes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Racegoer (354) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - NOV 8, 2002
spicy aroma hits you,pours to a nice looking deep amber color in this glass.Mint,spice cake,sage is strong here,Pine hops,.Nice choice for the Christmas season.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jaymobrown (1783) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 8, 2002
Medium brown ale. Strong hops dominate most of the way. Noticable malt and syrup flavors. The sweetness tries to break through, but the hops still reign.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 7, 2002
Draught. A light brown color not too unlike Newcastle. The aroma was certainly of fresh pine trees. The flavor was dominated by sweet, nutty malts and generous spices. A nice hop kick to the finish and you have one tasty, easy drinking beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - NOV 2, 2002
Well its good, but not what I expected. Its more like an IPA cause of the very hopsy somewhat bitter, yet rich flavor. I wanted something a little less bitter. But it really has character. But not the type I’m thinking of for a Christmas Ale. I’m thinking of something with the alcohol level this stuff has, but a little sweeter, like Samuel Adams Winter Lager, which I passed over to buy this stuff. I wish I had stuck with the Samuel Adams Winter Lager to warm me on this cold night. But I can tell this is a quality brew, just a bit off of from my type.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Terminus (3409) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 31, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2004 A unique flavor that is full of hops and a bitter-sweetness that is hard to describe. A great winter beer. ruby red appearance, minimal off white head-nose is spice-wonderful! taste is huge malts up front followed by a crystal hop bite in the middle. Is that a smoke finish i detect? kinda feels like it. regardless, a great beer!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerguy101 (5340) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 23, 2002
Medium red color, medium head. Roasted malts, hoppy and slightly spicy. Full flavored, complex taste. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is smooth and clean. Aftertaste is slightly malty and sweet. Very nice beer. Slightly sweeter and a little spicier than the 2000 vintage.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - SEP 20, 2002
Ahhhhhhhhhh......Christmas beer. Makes you wish summer was a year-round season. How in the hell do you assclowns rate this so high? This would keep Frosty the Snowman warm in an ice arena. Spice is one of the things little girls are made of and it shouldn’t go in a beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 16, 2002
A great Christmas gift by my inlaws. Thank you

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeM500 (1908) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - MAY 13, 2002
Dark color, identical to the glass of Pepsi that sat next to it. Sweet chocolate syrup aroma, with a bit of hay or dried grass mixed in. The taste was malty sweet, the middle was a bit creamy and the hop and alcohol finished it up nicely. I’ve had these put away since December ’01 and bottle conditioned, they stayed super fresh!