Goose Island Economy Ale
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.33/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.94   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 171   ABV: 5.7%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Thorpe429 (5011) - , Illinois, USA - NOV 23, 2010
Had this on tap at the Wrigleyville location on 02.28.09 before going to "Beer" at Metropolitan Brewery, which was excellent, btw. I’m listing this as an English Brown, as I believe this is what the menu referred to it as--I should be back soon to check. A: A little dark for the style, but not nearly as dark as the Extremely Naughty Goose that I had along with this in a sampler. Decent head--although hard to tell in the smallish sample glasses. S: The smell fairly typical of the style, perhaps a bit more burnt. Maybe a bit more molasses and less nut when compared with Goose’s Nut Brown Ale. T: Quite good. Again, similar to their other brown ales, but a bit stronger (I wish I had written down the ABV as well). There were darker flavors--maybe molasses and raisins/plum, and not as much of the lighter caramel, toffee-type flavors. M: Smoothe, mild carbonation. Nothing exceptional, though. D: Definitely drinkable--wish I had a full glass. I liked it quite a bit more than the Nut Brown Ale. I’d recommend getting this in the sampler flight along with their other browns, particularly the Extremely Naughty Goose.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
BBB63 (6087) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - APR 4, 2009
Tap at GI Wrigleyville and served in standard pint glass: Medium brown with reddish highlights, small creamy tan head and good lace. The aroma is walnut, caramel, molasses, light prune, dusty yeast and mineral water. The taste is smooth sweet malts with a touch of fruity twang, minimal bitterness and finished with a hint of coffee and nuts. The mouth feel is a tad watery and boringly dry. Very average brown ale, honestly just as I would have expected.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
chicagodri (1683) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 14, 2009
On tap @ GI Wrigley. Solid beer for the price of $4. After the Stimulus Ale (which I liked better), we had the Economy Ale. Pours brown with an off white head. Some dark fruit in the flavor, caramel, and molasses. Mild aroma though. I was really close to blending the Stimulus and the Economy Ale together, because that is what you are supposed to do right?