overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 1755   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.24   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 129   ABV: 4.3%
Inspired by visits to English country pubs, Honkerís Ale combines a fruity hop aroma with a rich malt middle to create a perfectly balanced beer. Immensely drinkable, Honkerís Ale is not only the beer you can trust but one youíll look forward to time and again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JUL 30, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2008 My old rating was 3.0, but I’ve been drinking this a lot on tap lately and I just really like it as a summer beer, so I’m upping the rating a bit as I drink it at Ray’s. nice. deep golden color. Medium thick malts, not too sweet. Nice citrusy hops for balance and finish. substantial enough to stand above macros and some micros too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
007lund (92) - Ann Arbor, USA - JUL 28, 2002
The malt overpowers the hops, making for a sweeter ale. Aroma is too fruity. I wouldnít want more than one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
nstal (237) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 22, 2002
The first Goose Island beer I tried, and its a very good one. Noticably more hops and malt than the blonde ale, as well as an attractive appearance.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 18, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 6, 2014 Unimpressive clear reddish amber color. Fizzy. This had a spicy, very carbonated nose, which then led into a bit of a stale, heavy hop taste. Beer is very unbalanced and ends with a touch on the lighter side, with some fruity notes. Did they forget the malt? 5/2/4/2/8

No they did not forget the malt. Wow, old ratings are pretty funny. While I wont go out of my way to drink this, if itís a macro-oriented bar, I will happily drink this and enjoy it. Light in hop flavor, fairly dry. Not going to knock your socks off, but certainly drinkable and clean.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
davidoc (113) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 2, 2002
This isnít one of my favorite Goose Island brews. Honestly, the Honkerís Ale tastes a bit like it has geese in it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jaymobrown (1652) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 2, 2002
Golden-amber color with a medium, creamy head. Strong taste of hops, but little else to enjoy. As someone from the Chicago-area, Iím partial to this brew in comparison to the American standards and pils that the city usually drinks. A no thrills ale that is good to drink.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Beloved Beer (278) - California, USA - JUN 26, 2002
I liked it alot but there is only so much you can do with an ale. After a while you really got to know your stuff to make major judgements on different types of ales. I...well I just drink the stuff. I canít tell you the strain of hops used.

1.1
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
olympian (107) - USA - JUN 21, 2002
It makes me very sad to say that Goose Island is the *only* craft brewer in North American whoís products uniformly disappoint me. The family resemblance from one Goose Island product to another is very consistent - like Bellís of Kalamazoo, but nowhere near as good. First sip - you know itís from Goose Island. Moreís the pity, because that family resemblance I can only describe as ímalt with floor mop squeezinís added to ití. It tastes *musty!* Iíve actually tried the Honkerís Ale several times - no dice. I really wanted to find something to love in Goose Island - I consider the American craft brewers to be íbeer Messiahsí - but it consistently comes in dead last across my tongue. Try Bellís Amber or Sam Adams Boston Ale, and see if you really think this is better.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - JUN 19, 2002
Another beer I had at a gathering. I found the beer to be quite a nice beer that would do well if your trying to get your friends to break from the Bud/Miller brigade. I havenít tried some of the other Goose Island beers, but if this is any indication, they would be worth a try

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
NJBeerman013 (1045) - Hamilton Twp., New Jersey, USA - JUN 17, 2002
I was in Chicago so I had to sample the local íflavorí. Pretty good stuff. You have t0get it at Oven Grinderís in town with a Pizza Pot Pie. On the beer, nice hop aroma and zing. Dark amber in color... nice stuff.