overall

RATINGS: 2191   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56   IBU: 55   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Our IPA recalls a time when ales shipped from England to India were highly hopped to preserve their distinct taste during the long journey. The result, quite simply a hop lover’s dream. And this classic ale adds a fruity aroma, set off by a dry malt middle, to ensure that the long hop finish is one you’ll remember.

criley2's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
criley2 (40) - Portland, Maine, USA - NOV 13, 2012
Exactly what I’m looking for in an ipa. Deliciously hoppy but not to heavy so it’s extremely drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
lownote (267) - USA - JUL 27, 2015
Really aromatic. Floral and citrusy hops. Gold with a nice white head from bottle into a tulip glass. Unfortunately the flavor is just bitter. Being a beer not terribly malty, it’s not a great balance and on the thinner side. Way too bitter to be sessionable for me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
HippieFee (155) - - JUL 26, 2015
Bottle - Lots of floral notes on the palate. Taste is not very hoppy but subtle. Not a very dry beer or bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
lesifflebiere (1472) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 26, 2015
Boisson légèrement cuivrée, avec une mousse rare, et un nez de houblons fleuris et abondants. Texture mince. La bouche est dans les mêmes tons, le tapis de malt étant bien présent mais ne servant que de toile de fond pour les houblons, qui sont eux puissants mais relativement accessibles. Il en résulte une American IPA tout ce qu’il y a de plus classique, mais au-dessus de la moyenne de par son équilibre et le choix judicieux de ses houblons. Savoureuse.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
markducommun (387) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 25, 2015
Golden clear color, white head. Pine resin, light citrus. Bitter, biscuity malt back. Lighter body, fair bit of carbonation. Good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bonkiedeaap (428) - Leerdam, NETHERLANDS - JUL 25, 2015
Bottle from Albert Heijn. The beer is golden/yellow colored and has a stable white head, with average carbonation. The aroma is hoppy and fruity, with tones of tropical fruits, grapefruits and melon. The taste is medium sweet and medium bodied, and tones from the aroma are present. The finish goes from the sweetness into a pleasant hoppy bitterness which diminishes over time. Nice and solid IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
overtheline (83) - Inverness, SCOTLAND - JUL 24, 2015
355ml bottle pours clear light amber with decent white head displaying good retention. A lot of treacley malt on the nose along with some pine and a bit of tropical fruit. Taste kind of follows but the hops overtake the malt. It’s a solid IPA with a nice balance, never too far away from the malt floor. Slightly thin but otherwise not much to fault. Good, not remarkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
DutchMark (251) - NETHERLANDS - JUL 24, 2015
Ok ipa. Very accessible easy to drink. Flavor is nice floral citrussy hops and also a bit malty sweet. quite average.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
peponi (783) - Krakow, POLAND - JUL 23, 2015
Aroma: citrus and herbal notes. Appearance: golden color with white head. Taste: medium bitterness (heather and herbs), some citrus notes, thin malty backbone, rather dry and watery. Palate: low body and medium carbonation, bitter finish. Overall: Quite average beer, nothing special.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
VertBaconStrips (2179) - Asshat, Alberta, CANADA - JUL 23, 2015
Love the fact that the label is still fronting Chicago yet the box clearly shows that the was probably made right here in Edmonton on the freeway where my girls always comment on the awful smell. Good thing I bought it at Superstore for six unmatching buttons and a possum that was wedged into the grill of my ’84 Lada. I felt like I was in a back alley in that store - total shit hole in the beer aisle. Of course, like always, just as I’m about to do a serious take on a beer my cat saunters downstairs to spill his fluids. Maybe I should move the box from on top of the computer table. Initial cautious huffs put this brew up as standard fare but that first taste really crinkled my brow. After a while I came to understand this is not the American ipa i had hoped and instead settled into an English version with some extra sharp emptiness. Fairly plain aroma that tips a bit to the mucky side. What does that mean? I’m not telling you. Caramel, pine that meets acidic qwalitees, dryness, unsweetened grapefrootz and I’m out of beer. The only solution to a quandary such as this is to open another. I’m so stuck inbetween knowing this is a sessionable get fucked up on beer and hating it because it’s just boring and it’s not my style of IPA and tasting a shot of subpar piny caramel and smelling my fingers and discovering I’ve got onion bag from working in the yard. I really am not sure where I’m at - I think I am actually enjoying it cuz it’s drinkable but I’m just such a spoiled hop diva now from drinking challenging excellence yet there is no way this 12 pack will last beyond a handful of days. Is this what I accept now now that my fridge stalwart Tree Hophead has been reformulated and consistently disappoints? Maybe I am sad because this is cheaper and may actually be an upgrade? Maybe it’s because after the very first sip I went straight to the case and searched for a BB date after the former stated crinkling. I have a fridge full of decaying roma tomatoes.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
tightslice (429) - Redwood City, California, USA - JUL 21, 2015
On tap at The Old Pro in Palo Alto, CA. Taste is very light / session IPA. Not great but also not completely offensive either.