Goose Island Maple Bacon Stout
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 14   MEAN: 3.14/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Burtonís Maplewood Farm Maple Bacon Stout Dark stout brewed with rich maple syrup and finished with Swan Creek farm BACON.

3Faveryrogue's rating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
3Faveryrogue (181) - Aslip, Illinois, USA - APR 19, 2010
Maple Bacon Stout. $8 snifter. On tap @ Clybourn. Heard that this was actually "infused" with bacon. No smoked malts. Served very cold. [A] A weak maple aroma. Iím not sure I really sensed any bacon here. Maple. Malts. Some faint roast and chocolate. [A] Black into snifter. By the time my server had returned to the table, there was no head. Served with a floppy piece of bacon dangling on my glass, that was probably sitting in a cooler all day. Not tasty. Nor attractive. Kitschy. And yes. A nice film of spotty grease sitting atop my beer. I could have enjoyed this plenty "sans swine". [F] I got the maple. Not a very flavorful profile otherwise. Cold. But no detectable java. Light chocolate. I wasnít impressed. [P] Maybe this beer lets off more subtle characteristics very warm, but for the sake of the palate, this was not a very exciting brew. No hoppiness. Not as flavorful as expected. And pretty boring in the mouth. Low carbonation. Fairly smooth, slick. [O] This was described on the menu as a "great breakfast beer". Whatever. Throw some pork rinds in a Guinness and Iíd be more satisfied then I was with this. It could have used some smoked malt. Luckily, the BB Extra Naughty Goose redeemed my evening. But $10 for that snifter, among other things Goose Island has been doing, really leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
chaz01 (190) - Miamisburg, Ohio, USA - MAY 2, 2010
Served in a snifter glass at a recent visit to Clybourn for Sunday brunch. What else goes well with your brunch than a maple bacon stout? Thick dark black in color with a thin brown head. Some smokiness, but not as much as the name of the beer would imply. A little sour tartness in the taste with some sweetness from the maple. Dark fruit flavors with plums and figs. Medium bodied with a roasted coffee finish. Worth a try, but not something Iíd want to pick up again. Other beers I think would pair better with my brunch than a heavy stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JaBier (4887) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - MAY 1, 2010
Sample at Goose Island Clybourn. Pours black with a medium tan head. Roasty aroma with a bacony smoke, but not as much as expected. Sweet maple and chocolate flavor with plenty of roast and a semi-smoky finish. I kind of liked this. Iím not a big fan of beers that have so much hammy/smoke flavor that they mask everything else. This one definitely has enough of that to not be described as subtle, but all the other notes and flavors come through as well. Well done.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
chicagodri (1683) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2010
How could a bacon stout not be the best beer in the world, I mean címon...Bacon! Yeah, unfortunately I was disappointed since I went in with high expectations. Pours black with a thin head. Light aroma and the flavor was thin. Light smoke flavor, but could have used a whole lot more and I didnít really notice anything I thought of as bacon. Only slightly sweet also...light on the maple syrup. Save you money.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hopscotch (9163) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - MAY 1, 2010
GrowlerÖ Pours very dark and sits black in my glass; canít see through it even when held up to the south Florida sun Ė maybe some copper highlights around the sides of the glass. No head, but the growlerís been open a while. The bouquet is kind of acidic, chocolaty and thereís just a hint of smoke. Medium to full-bodied and velvety with soft carbonation. Sweet maple flavor with traces of smoke, dark fruit and minerals. Bland, mildly bitter, lightly roasted finish. Growler courtesy of Maltzilla!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
j12601 (6603) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - APR 29, 2010
On tap at Goose Island Clybourn. Pours black, with a medium sized soapy white head. Smoky, but light, very light roast. Very faint maple, but Iím looking for it, not sure if Iíd pick it up without knowing it was there. Medium bodied, smoky, smooth, roasty, sweet and maply. The big question though, whereís the bacon? The smoke does pick up a little bit while it warms, and the beer is certainly good. But I was expecting more deep smoke.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
sebletitje (6700) - Enghien, BELGIUM - APR 21, 2010
growler @ Miami Fandango í10 gathering. Cheers to Diego for the share. dark brown, mocha head. Aroma has light notes of smoked malts, maple aspect is light, roasted and coffee, mocha nose. Flavors, very similar to the aroma, I detect some nice smoked malt with faint maple syrup, chocolate, roasted finish with hints of coffee. Superbly malty/mocha mouthfeel with just a tad of smoke in the finish. Not sure why this is not a smoked beer rather than stout. Enjoyed this one a lot. I do pick some smoke, but I am not sure if thatís what was intended with the bacon or if they had actually meat flavoring in the beer. Anyways, I just didnít get much of the meat aspect as much as it was more smoked.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
holdenn (2080) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 21, 2010
On tap at GI Cly. Pours a dark black with minimal head and a small slab of bacon. Light nose roasted malts. Thin coffee and roasted malt flavors. Lighly sweet but no paletable recognition of bacon or maple syrup. I guess thatís why thereís a chunk of meat on my glass.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MeadMe (1307) - Riverview, Florida, USA - APR 18, 2010
Thanks to Diego for bringing this rare treat. A: pours a dark brown hue with a small tan head. No real retention or lace. S: Aromas of roasted malt, candied malt, and chocolate. T: Roasty with a mild maple sweetness. Mild chocolate, with no sign of bacon at all. M: Medium in body, smooth. D: Just okay. Darn, my first bacon beer and I am left saying whereís the bacon?

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BeerBunker (709) - Burbank, Illinois, USA - APR 18, 2010
On tap at GI Clybourn. Garnished with bacon. I love America. Pours black with no head, but a nasty bacon film on top. Aroma is of malt, bacon, chocolate, and maple syrup. Taste is muted by the bacon flavor, so that killed it. Taste is of chocolate, malt, and, maple syrup. Lingering taste of bacon and chocolate. Had a slight hint of brown sugar to it. Mouthfeel is sticky and greasy. I couldnít wait for this one to be done. You canít win everytime.