Goose Island Marisa
     click to upload

Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 2/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.64   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
KickInChalice (860) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 28, 2012
From notes. First reviewed 12/3/2010. Had on tap at the BA Monthly Meeting. This was the first beer I sampled, and let’s just say it made everything I tried after taste better by comparison. It starts out looking nice enough. A bit darker color than the golden color I am used to seeing in a saison, and a bit hazy. A nice fluffy white head forms out of the tap, and it leaves a web of lace down the glass. Wow, tart lemon just overpowers the aroma. Actually, not really lemon, but more like lemon extract or a lemon cleaner. The sorachi ace hops and tea come through as well. It smelled nice at first, but with each whiff I like it less. This is really the ultimate in processed flavors. I trust that they did make it with natural ingredients, but it tastes like extracts and chemicals were used for flavoring. The pale malt is noticeable up front, but I barely get any rye, either flavor or dryness, before a ton of tart chemical lemon, tea, and Sorachi Ace come through. None of these flavors really add to the flavor or complement each other. I tried to finish the glass, simply for the novelty of it, but it was pretty hard. It feels all right, although a bit thick for a saison. Crisp carbonation, a bit of a creamy feel as well. Too sticky though, and the combination of lemon and the sorachi hops really give me an unwelcome puckering sensation. This just was not very good. It did not have any real personality, more like just a bunch of disjointed concepts thrown together in a mop bucket.