overall

RATINGS: 1889   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63/5   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Bottle conditioned.
Ingredients: Water, Styrian and Saaz Hops, 2-Row Barley and Caramel Malt, Yeast and Granulated Beet Sugar.
Matilda is made with a rare yeast that suggests a fruity and spicy flavor. There is complex maltiness balanced with a profuse amount of hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 31, 2009
I swear Iíd had this before having a glass at Romanís this week, but apparently I am confusing Matilda with memories of Pere Jacques. And Iím glad I corrected this situation, because where I found Pere Jacques to be pretty mediocre and boring, I found this beer to be considerably more enjoyable and interesting. This beer pours a light golden color with a pretty minimal head. At Romanís, it was served in a long-stemmed glass reminiscent of a martini glass (what I donít know about glassware could fill a library). Aroma was a touch fruity and spicy. Flavor offered a rich sweetness paired nicely with a touch of very-Belgian-y maltiness. There was also considerable fruitiness, full mouthfeel, and yeastiness that was also reminiscent to Belgian beers Iíve had (like fresh Tripel Karmelet). Mouthfeel was pretty rich. This is really a very good beer and I would recommend it. I had it on tap at Romanís in Milwaukee.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ilherps (248) - Carbondale, Illinois, USA - JAN 31, 2009
Very fruity and spicy indeed. A yeasty citrus on the nose, with flavors of lemon, pineapple, cotton candy, and some other various green flavors, also subtle caramel. Flavors are similar, very good Belgian.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
RichardW (1813) - Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND - JAN 22, 2009
08 bottle. Amber hue, with an off-white, thin head. Full bodied with a rich aftertaste. Great attempt at creating a Belgian style ale, Citrus-y, orange peel flavour and aroma, with just a hint of creaminess.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
weaselkenievil (1608) - Cheshire, ENGLAND - JAN 21, 2009
Bottle from god knows where, York perhaps? I really liked this one. A good stab at a Belgian from our US brothers, well done lads. Amber with a thin white head. Sweet smell, candy floss perhaps, icing, Belgian yeast and citrus perhaps? I donít know, Iím a drinker not a rater. And taste is similar blah blah blah. I liked it. I will drink again if I can get it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
grandridge (224) - Port Clinton, Ohio, USA - JAN 18, 2009
2007 bottle. Giant head with some rockiness, pours golden brown with sediment. Aroma is the standard belgian yeast with some slight fruity sweetness that I canít put my finger on. Citrus maybe? Also some slight spice character deep in the aroma. Flavor is more fruit than in the aroma, definite citrus and tropical fruits. Yeast and is in there typical of a belgian. Some spice I canít put my finger on. Finish is a little dry and pretty refreshing making it very drinkable (Iím almost halfway done with this bottle) All in all another quality brew from GI.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
OD40oz (774) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - JAN 18, 2009
After having the Bourbon County Stout I had a piss hardon to try this brew. Pours a hazy amber orange with a quickly diminishing, off-white head. Citrusy smell full of hops. Initially it tasted slightly sour like many belgian ales but changed to a complex grassy, hoppy taste and finished again with the belgian ale taste. Long lasting finish. Very complex beer. I liked it but not near as much as the Bourbon County Stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Pawola22 (3262) - Plainfield, Illinois, USA - JAN 17, 2009
12oz bottle. Pours a cloudy amber orange with a small, dense, off-white head that leaves a moderate lace. Aroma is pretty mellow. Some funky spicing, orange citrus, sweet malts, an herbal hop character, and a bit of yeast. Flavor is malty sweet with some citrus and yeast bite leading to a finish that is pretty dry and spicy. Some pepper in the finish and coriander as well. Theres some kind of funky hop presence giving it an almost soap-like taste too. Palate is pretty medium to full with a real mellow tartness. Overall, not bad, but I think I was expecting more. A little too dull and mellow for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TeamTrappist (832) - jericho, New York, USA - JAN 15, 2009
Tap at Sunswick. Poured a clear amber with a thin white head. Spicy and yeasty nose. Nice belgian style triple. Had some sweetness, and some alcohol bite, but not too noticeable. It also seemed to have some wheat notes. Bold strong flavor like a chimay white with more spice and kick,flavor wise that is.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pipper (325) - Ohio, USA - JAN 11, 2009
Really enjoyed this beer. Nice balance/complexity of sweet, citrus and spicy undertones. Each sip gave me a slight dry kick in the palate making me thirsty for another sip.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jmichael (640) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 8, 2009
good stuff, I love american belgian aleís, definitly the grounding of a good belgian with a twist, fun stuff.