overall

RATINGS: 1712   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Bottle conditioned.
Ingredients: Water, Styrian and Saaz Hops, 2-Row Barley and Caramel Malt, Yeast and Granulated Beet Sugar.
Matilda is made with a rare yeast that suggests a fruity and spicy flavor. There is complex maltiness balanced with a profuse amount of hops.

thornecb (4404) - Marblehead, Massachusetts, USA - APR 12, 2007
Pours bright amber into a trappist glass. Funky brett aromas. Sharp up front turns full and peppery with a lasting sour yeast finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - APR 3, 2007
12 oz bottle - 2006: Pours a clear light amber color with big creamy off white head. Aroma has notes of honey, pear, apricot, herbal hops, bit of red wine vinegar and lactic tartness. Flavor has a fair amount of slightly chewy malt, bit of light caramel, note of honey and lemon, slight vinegary tartness. Finish is balanced, with a fairly notable bitterness. A decenet brew, an attempt to do a bretty beer, but doesnít quite do it as nicely as some.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
kkearn (1165) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 1, 2007
12oz bottle, 2006 vintage. I read the label, and figured it was appropriate to use an Orval chalice. Thin white head atop a orange brown body. Beautiful brett aroma with some apple and grass nuances. Yeast, pepper and candi sugar are most notable flavors, with a bit of bitterness building towards the end. Dry and oily on the tongue. Really delicious.

bleeng (1523) - Houston nowhere near Beersel, Texas, USA - MAR 31, 2007
Let me say upfront-I love this beer. Having visited Orval almost 10 years ago it brings back memories of lovely times. GI has done well imitating/duplicating Orval with this wonderful beer.. The bitterness stands out but the palate pleads for more. My patience runs out when I see this beer in my cellar-itís very difficult not to pull one out and have it. Tonight my patience ran out-I had one and Iím dissappointed. Drink this beer.

TURDFERGUSON (3954) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 31, 2007
Bottle from OhioDad. Thanks Scott! Pours dark orange amber with a noisy, carbonated, white head that fades a little quicker than I would have thought. First thing that comes to mind when I smell this is orval which I believe this beer is attempting to memic in some way. Heady, bready yeast is definitely at the forefront, with spicy citrus hops, lemon juice, and wet grass lingering. Flavor is full of that special yeast, a little funky, with a smooth finish. My only complaint is that it tasted a little metallic at the finish. Very refreshing and a perfect beer for the summer. Thank you. Thank you very much.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ty5592 (1018) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 25, 2007
hazy yellow with large fizzy head. This had a sour, funky, yeasty aroma. The taste was the same with light sweetness and dry sour finish. No thank you.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
nhorween (645) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 23, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2008 Bottle. Orange-honey colored pour with a thin white head. Sour/tart aroma, bready yeast, light sugar, lemon zest... Cinnamon? Very clean. Again clean on the flavor, slightly sour, bready, no alcohol to speak of. This is the way I would want a summer beer to taste, very refreshing. Nice clean mouthfeel. Not complex at all, but Iíd love to grill some burgers and drink this beer. Rerate, still a favorite. I don’t know why I said not complex in my original rating... Great beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
oakbluff (414) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - MAR 15, 2007
Bottle courtesy of Viggo- surprise extra in a trade- thanks man! Poured into an Affligem chalice. Cloudy tangerine colour with a good off white head. The smell was belgian candi. Looks like this will be a tasty brew. Taste- wow! Not what I was expecting- has a real sourness that caught me by surprise. Really dry finish to boot. Label says profound hops but Iím not picking up a ton- maybe on the finish. The sourness was a treat- defintely funky- Jolly Pumpkin like. Mouthfeel is good- fairly high carbonation. This is a unique brew and it was great to try a bottle. Very drinkable - the sourness becomes very addicting! I see most other reviews donít note the sour notes- perhaps Iím just going crazy?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
biggcb (464) - Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 15, 2007
Bottle. After the initial gusher in which I lost about 1/3 of the bottle, it poured a somewhat hazy golden/amber color with a voluminous frothy white head. Aroma was sweet, yeasty with a dash of spice. Flavor was somewhat sweet (fruity), a touch yeasty and fairly hoppy. Quite tasty. Perhaps a bit too carbonated.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
golubj (1377) - San Mateo, California, USA - MAR 14, 2007
Draft. I remember enjoying this belgian. Very fruity and sweet flavor, but I donít remember much else to say about it. So I guess it wasnít that impressive.