overall

RATINGS: 738   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 351   ABV: 11.7%
Night Stalker, as an homage to the Chicago-based television show. Night Stalker is a jet black, dry hopped Imperial Stout, extremely rich and full flavored with malt and chocolate followed by a bright dry hopped aroma. It is the same base as our Bourbon County Stout, but instead of aging in Bourbon barrels, we dry hop it like madmen. ABV – 11.7% IBU’s – 60 Color – 100 Aroma Hops –Mt. Hood & Simcoe Malts – 2-Row, Munich, Chocolate, C-60, Roast Barley, Debittered Black

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
AndyReynolds (818) - Wilder, Kentucky, USA - SEP 1, 2009
UPDATED: APR 8, 2010 On draft at Dayton Ale Fest. Pours a dark black with a very thin tan head that went away really quickly. A nice oily slick was laying on the top. Aroma is strong with roasted malts, coffee, whiskey, and dark chocolate. Notes of burnt malts, sweet milk, vanilla, and hops come out. On the palate, there is a strong alcohol burn and it feels rather creamy. The flavor really brings out a liqueur type taste and aroma, really changing the way I viewed it at first. The finish is bitter and dry. Very complex, very good.

kiefdog (1826) - Tampa, Florida, USA - AUG 31, 2009
Bottle courtesy of tpd975. Pours a dark brown to black with thin tan head. Aroma is sweet and malty with notes of maple syrup, brown sugar, chocolate, ripe dark fruit, hints of roasted malt and caramel. Flavor is sweet and malty with notes of chocolate, ripe dark fruit, brown sugar, caramel, hints of molasses. Generally medium to full body with a malty and chocolaty finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bigmmartin (603) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - AUG 30, 2009
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2010 Rerate. Bottle. This is much better than it was when I sampled it on draft last year. Last year I thought it was way too sweet and just tasted like candied sugar and alcohol. But I grabbed a bottle from Belmont to give it another shot. This is full of flavors, including coffee and chocolate. And the palate is very smooth and quite thick. However, as it warms, the alcohol comes through more and it turns a little hot. Still a wonderful beer though.

[Original Rating: 8,5,7,3,14) Draft sample at Dayton AleFest ’09. I was really looking forward to this one after reading some reviews and the description. I love hoppy stouts. Instead I found it to be quite sweet, dominated by alcohol, and fruity. It’s not nearly as bitter as I expected. Has a strong liqueur flavor, due to the sweet fruity alcohol characteristic. Not the easiest thing in the world to drink but interesting and definitely unique.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lagunitasfan (1313) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 28, 2009
Big ups to JW77 for sending me this in a trade. 22 oz capped growler from Bierkraft. Rating number 400 for me. Almost black in the glass with brown highlights. Tan viscosity coats the glass. Strong tan head. Nose is sharp alcohol, malt, dark fruit, and overall bitterness. Taste is HUGE! Big cocoa, molasses, alcohol, then coffee. Bittersweet coffee and baker’s chocolate finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
markwise (4276) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - AUG 23, 2009
Thanks to tpd975 for sharing this beer. Pours dark brown with a tan head. Nose is dark chocolate, roasted malt, caramel, coffee, and not a ton of hops, but enough to feel the presence mildly. Flavor is dark chocolate, roast, some dark fruit, love, and a bit of drinkability. Medium-to-full bodied and very enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
puzzl (3235) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 21, 2009
Tap at Spuyten Duyvil. Can’t say I remember this very well, I was rather tipsy by the time I began, but apparently I did not enjoy it very much. Has an aroma of molasses, steamed vegetables, plum, clementine, and vodka. A lot of vodka. Way, way, too much vodka. The flavor is very sweet and vegetal, with some corny notes, okra, oatmeal, and of course a burning finish of head distillate. Ew.

Ibrew2or3 (6521) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - AUG 17, 2009
Big thanks to tpd975 for this brew! It pours dark with brown edges and light brown head. The aroma is roasty, mild chocolate and some burnt molasses. The taste is smooth roasty, roasted biscuit malts, chocolate, some vanilla, booze and a bit of heat. I get caramel and more chocolate into the finish taking this to a very pleasing place on my palate. YUM!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
gkost (1714) - Tampa, Florida, USA - AUG 15, 2009
Pours black. Nose is floral and pine hops, dark roast, cocoa, caramel and coffee. Flavor is a rich roast, some smoke, resiney hops, caramel, dark malt, raisin. Very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 11, 2009
In a world sick with great Imperial Stouts (to include Bourbon County Stout), I thought this one was exceptional. I looked for evidence during my visit that somehow Goose Island had been tainted by their affiliation with Anheuser-Busch (InBev), but other than having Redhook ESB as a guest tap, I could find none. Instead, I found this beer, which was a really pleasant experience - massive, flavorful, but not overly taxing or intimidating. As you’d expect, it comes served black, a little viscous, and with more head than quite a few other RIS’s. Aroma is more hoppy than any other Imperial Stout I can remember - seems to me that RIS’s are usually hopped heavily, but to me those flavors are usually lost amid the other roasty flavors. This one was a little lighter on the dark roasty notes, although they were still discernible. Flavor was not very boozy for 11.7% ABV. Mouthfeel was smooth but not syrupy. A very solid brew. I would highly recommend this beer. I had this on tap at Goose Island (Clybourn).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
vtafro (2450) - Wayne, New Jersey, USA - AUG 10, 2009
Tap @ The Ginger Man. Black pour with nice brown head. Aroma is big, roasted malts hops, chocolate, caramel, etc. Flavor is just as massive, a little heavy for the last beer for the night but enjoyed it.