overall

RATINGS: 789   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Bottle: Filtered.
Ingredients: Hops: UK Fuggle, Willamette; Malts: 2 Row, Caramel, Wheat, Dark Chocolate, Victory
Our Nut Brown Ale combines the finest domestic and imported malts to produce a chestnut-hued ale of unusual complexity. Subtle notes of chocolate, honey and fine tobacco give this ale an enjoyable and satisfying “nutty” finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
SJP (483) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 15, 2002
I really don’t like nut brown ales, and this was no exception. A decent balance of hop and malt flavors, and goes down smoothly, just not a very appealing taste to me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
heykevin (1277) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - MAY 11, 2002
Rerate here. Solid brown nice malt flavors as well as balancing hops. Just lacks the extra oomph that makes a distinct and memorable impression

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 25, 2002
In desperate need of a rerate here. This was originally one of my favorite brews when I began drinking ’good’ beer. Now im not so impressed. There’s a house character to GI brews that doesn’t quite sit right with me these days (except in their X-mas Ale). Im not sure what it is but this beer seems almost like a flat stout to me now.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dogbrick (8671) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 23, 2002
More enjoyable than Newcastle’s version, but a little more pricey as well. I tasted a hint of nutmeg and/or brown sugar (I don’t know my spices that well), and this Ale managed to be both smooth and robust at the same time. Good stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - APR 23, 2002
This sounded really good, and amazingly - it was! Nice rich flavor. I’m looking forward to trying the rest of the Goose Island offerings.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - APR 22, 2002
pretty close to a porter: brown as a downtown manhole cover, with a little red reflecting along the dark edges- like a stop light blinking on the wet deserted streets. it’s paris or lyon, the autumn chestnut street vendors have gone home, but the roasting smell lingers. that’s what you’ve got here in this beer. you can almost hear a lonely dog barking in the distance, aye? the first pour saw a plump creamy head. aroma of alcohol, honey orange and peat... very roasty, almost mesquite. light palate, dry, and still some hop.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
HoppyKev (50) - Redford, Michigan, USA - APR 14, 2002
this is a good nut brown, it could have a bit more maltiness

k2 (146) - USA - APR 13, 2002
Good brown ale. It has a bit of a different aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAR 25, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2008 So I go to Chicago with the fam for 24 hrs to visit my sister and her son. Have exactly 5 free minutes to look for beer, and this is what I decide on. I ask my sis’s boyfriend (asshole) if he’s had it...while he’s drinking a bud light and chastising my 4-yr old for not being able to catch a 2 in. diameter ball he’s throwing way too hard. ’Oh yeah, man, that’s the ’in’ beer here in Chicago, all the yuppies drink it’. So I’m immediately predisposed to not liking it. Aroma is nice and seriously nutty. Great malt presence. Good balance, nice body, nice head, nice aroma. Overall, quite drinkable. I go for smoky over nutty anyday.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
legion242 (2268) - Richardson, Texas, USA - MAR 20, 2002
Brown in color of course; Medium head that ran like a little girl; Hearty nose. A nice filling beer. Again, light on the ’nuttiness’ that I despise. Had a nice mouthfeel. Otherwise, unexceptional.