overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Het Anker
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Mechelen, Belgium

RATINGS: 1540   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Every year on the 24th of February, the birthday of "Charles the fifth", the Brewery brews the Gouden Carolus "Cuvee of the Emperor" in a limited quantity and with an eye on the highest quality and tradition. This unique brewing, with only extra fine Belgian hops and with a higher alcohol level, guarantees a better evolution in the time, than the already known Gouden Carolus. This beer, as all our beers, is 100 % natural, with no preservatives, no adjuncts and no chemicals. We bottle it in bottles of 75 cl and closed with a quality cork. Excellent to store several years. Every year the public is invited to assist to the brewing process.
Was 8% abv in 2000-2002, 10% in 2003 and 11% in 2004.

DISCLAIMER: This is a dark beer and the label has a blue diagonal line.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
DrinkAle (4) - USA - JUN 21, 2006 does not count
One of the best beers in the world. I love to have one (or two) after chowing down some mussels and frits!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Carolus (3) - BELGIUM - JUN 15, 2006 does not count
I LOVE this beer, I like it especially when it lies a few years in a basement (min 4)! The evolution is huge, for me this is the king of beers :) Very dark with a lot of yeast, the way I like it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
sersdf (1015) - chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 15, 2006
super alcoholic in smell, looks pretty great, kinda cloying in taste, smooth enough.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Zeswaft (1379) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 15, 2006
Big ups to nhorween for this. Huge sweetness and alcohol in the aroma. I would say there is some sweet/alcohol/coffee syrup taste. Really heavy body. It seems more complex than I can handle right now.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nhorween (645) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 15, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2006 Bottle. Nice rich brown color with a fine white head. Aroma is caramel and vanilla without being overly sweet. Also notes of fresh fruit, namely banana and pear. Flavor is really well balanced with light alcohol flavor and more banana. Nice mouthfeel, not too carbonated and nice and crisp. A great beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mookieguy (17) - USA - JUN 10, 2006
Bottle. wonderful. tried this twice at 2 different temperatures and actually prefered it warmer. sweet and buttery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerbiere (101) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 10, 2006
2005 Brown color. Impressive frothy head, good retention. Aroma was at first discrete, gained intensity as beer warmed: caramel and dried fruits (figs? dates?) Flavor was at first VERY sweet, all I could detect was caramel. Once again as it warmed, I was able to pierce through this sticky sweetness and wow, what a discovery: red licorice, milk-chocolate, vanilla. For me that’s a liquid Caramilk. Starts very sweet but is very well balanced by an acidity remisicent of cherries. The mouthfeel is probably its best attributes: luxurious, creamy and oily! One of the best beer I’ve had!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DCJack (181) - Alabama, USA - JUN 8, 2006
A bit of a bite that I don’t like. And a little too sweet for me. Strong but smooth alcohol resence. Just a fair beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
eaglefan538 (2898) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JUN 7, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 13, 2007 750ml bottle, 2005. A beer to celebrate my sister’s birthday and the new birth of my little girl. Poured a nice mahoganey color with a nice carbonated showing, a small but well-sustaining head, and great lacing. The aroma was a bit sharp, lots of alcohol, vinous, vinegar, and oak. The flavor was much of the same, rather astringent, with some dark fruits detectable, light spicing, and the alcohol certainly noticeable. Light dose of candi sugar to keep this thing mildly sweet, but it wasn’t the highlight of the beer. The mouthfeel was the best part of this beer, very silky and creamy. Re-rate, 10/2/06: I can’t really adjust my comments on this beer, they were pretty dead on the first time around, although the alcohol was smoother this time through, warranting an upward bump in flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2528) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - JUN 4, 2006
A 2006 bottle, labelled at 10% ABV. I guess this stuff is pretty young, most people are rating older bottles - am I the first to rate a 2006? Anyway, pours an appealing burnt caramel reddish brown, with a quick 2 finger tan head, medium bubbles, that fades rather quickly. Curiously the beer left heavy lacing in the bottle, but not in my glass (hope it wasn’t a clean glass problem). Highly appealing rich aroma: figgy, raisins, plums, some sherry, some indistinct spice that hints at cinnamon or clove, and a rummy alcoholic note. Flavor is full, strong and sweet, with alot of dark fruit (dates, plums) and sweet burnt sugar, borderline cloying but within the range of balance. Still, I could easily see 5 years on this beer putting into the realm of stellar. I will definitely have to cellar one. Mouthfeel is soft, with a surprisingly low carbonation, consistent with its fast fading head. Alcohol is present, but not terribly so. Mainly, you feel it after killing off an entire 750ml within 30 minutes.