overall

RATINGS: 312   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.61/5   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
Local legends aren’t just born, they’re brewed. And no beer in the Midwest has a grander brewing tradition than Grain Belt. For over 100 years, Grain Belt has been the beer that fathers have passed on to sons and friends have passed amongst each other at local bars and watering holes. It is a beer with tradition that spans generations. Which is why it has become legendary–both here and across the country.

In the 1940s, around the same time Grain Belt built its famous bottle cap sign overlooking the Mississippi River in Northeast Minneapolis, they introduced a “Beer of Exceptional Quality”–Premium. With its crisp, unique flavor, Premium quickly became the flagship of the Grain Belt brand. And still is to this day.

Although the Grain Belt Premium recipe has changed hands over the years, one thing has remained the same–its legendary unique taste. And now that Premium is in the capable hands of a brewery with an even longer tradition than Grain Belt–the August Schell Brewery–may you rest assured that the flavor and heritage of Premium will live on forever.

So as a local legendary beer, we raise a glass to all the people, places and things that make the Midwest such a rich and unique place to live. Here’s to you!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
JPDIPSO (5519) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 17, 2003
Dark straw color with a foamy white head. Light malt, grain, and floral hops aroma. thinner feel with a bit of effervescence. Light malt and grain flavors.

chuckt (6) - aurora, Colorado, USA - NOV 16, 2003 does not count
I tried this beer last summer in MN. I was very surprised. The flavor was very malty and sweet and it was heavy beer, you can not drink this all day long. But I did load up my car to take home, I have only found one place in DENVER that carrys this, but they recently quit. If anybody knows of a place in CO, please email me. You will not go wrong trying this beer one of the best American regional beers.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
JoeM500 (1908) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - NOV 9, 2003
Corny, slightly papery and thin. It was easier on the palate than the more chemical tasting American Macros, but also doesn't have the hip swagger of a Pabst Blue Ribbon.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 18, 2003
Grain Belt? Never heard of it until we stopped at a antique store in La Crosse and I saw a ton of these old cans there to be bought for $1.00. Imagine that! Anyways we stopped in some town named Blue Earth and I had time to try one. Reminds me of a Huber. And that is not a good start. Too bad Schells doen't change the recipe. The oldtimer in the bar laughed when I ordered one, guess that should have tipped me off.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeerBilly (2) - DULUTH, Minnesota, USA - OCT 16, 2003 does not count
Glad to see that Schell's is keeping the recipe & name alive. This is my staple draft at the "Pole" after a good workout. Nice head, good aroma, and an excellent sweet taste to quench my thirst. More body that most American pils.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 11/20
Jedsbrew (465) - Rhineland, Missouri, USA - AUG 8, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2005 I’ve been wanting to try this legendary midwest brew for a long time but for one reason or another never got around to it. The appearance was average for the style, and it had a clean and malty aroma lightly hopped. The flavor was sweet, malty and smooth all the way through, with a clear as a bell finish, just a nip of bitterness. Bingo!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
DrnkMcDermott (2992) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - AUG 4, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 5, 2003 Draft, Minneapolis. Had this after washing the taste of a Labatt's Blue out of my mouth, but it was only a slight improvement. Since this really is my father's beer (that and Hamm's), and because it has such a generic name, it's a little hard to approach without preconceptions. What I find is the usual pale American Standard color, not much head. I did get a hint of lager yeast taste, but not too much else. When we had to leave, I didn't really want to stay and finish this. Schell's keeps this going because of nostalgia and name recognition as this area's standard cheap beer, but they'd really do well to push more of their own brand (currently #4 on the "Best American Standards" list to your right).

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - AUG 1, 2003
Grain Belt is another beer most of the guys I went to high school drank because they thought it was cool. Years later I can tell you nothing about this will ever make you cool. Nothing but Swill.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
duece (103) - Waterford, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 17, 2003
This is the swill that gives swill a bad name. It was so bad I could not finish it and that has only happened a few times.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
SlamminScott (40) - USA - JUL 8, 2003
Tasted very sweet...maybe it's just the labeling on the outside that skewed my judgement, but this beer was cheap and nasty...