overall

RATINGS: 291   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.61   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
Local legends aren’t just born, they’re brewed. And no beer in the Midwest has a grander brewing tradition than Grain Belt. For over 100 years, Grain Belt has been the beer that fathers have passed on to sons and friends have passed amongst each other at local bars and watering holes. It is a beer with tradition that spans generations. Which is why it has become legendary–both here and across the country.

In the 1940s, around the same time Grain Belt built its famous bottle cap sign overlooking the Mississippi River in Northeast Minneapolis, they introduced a “Beer of Exceptional Quality”–Premium. With its crisp, unique flavor, Premium quickly became the flagship of the Grain Belt brand. And still is to this day.

Although the Grain Belt Premium recipe has changed hands over the years, one thing has remained the same–its legendary unique taste. And now that Premium is in the capable hands of a brewery with an even longer tradition than Grain Belt–the August Schell Brewery–may you rest assured that the flavor and heritage of Premium will live on forever.

So as a local legendary beer, we raise a glass to all the people, places and things that make the Midwest such a rich and unique place to live. Here’s to you!

HollywoodND99 (1) - Fargo, North Dakota, USA - JUL 6, 2002 does not count
My favorite beer by far, I hope someone picks up this brand after MBC closed up. My friend jokes that I’m the only person he knows under 50 who drinks this stuff but I’m buying up all I can now.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
jazz88 (2542) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 27, 2002
Tap. A very high quality American Standard beer. A clean smooth beer, nice for an outdoor gathering.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 13, 2002
A slight improvement over other American Standards. Not as bad as it looks.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2188) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - MAY 10, 2002
Easily the best American Standard beer made. When I first tried Premium, I expected it to be a cheap, skunky beer like say, Milwaukee’s Best. Boy was I pleasantly surprised! What makes this brew better than the rest is its medium-hopped bite, easily elevating it above the bland, watery macrobrews. Given an Anheuser Busch-sized advertising budget, this beer would rule the land. People who know a good beer when they taste one recognize its quality relative to its class. That’s why it’s rated on this site in the 3’s rather than in the low 2’s like the Busch family of beers.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
greystreet80 (191) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 29, 2002
People are really gung-ho about this stuff in the twin cities. But those of us from Milwaukee know really good beer when it hits us. This stuff is average. Tastes a lot like High Life.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
pkbites (673) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 10, 2002
I used to get this stuff for about $4.99 a case of 24. That was about 5 years ago. Now that it’s more expensive, i’ve noticed it actually isn’t very good tasting.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
jennythenipper (74) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 3, 2002
While I appreciate that it’s part of my heritage, and that it’s unpretentious and cheap, I just don’t like the taste. I think it has a strange sweet, syrupy aftertaste. I prefer Schell’s deer brand or even Leinie’s.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
OD40oz (773) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - MAR 4, 2002
UPDATED: APR 11, 2004 You have to be from the midwest to appreciate this brew. It is definately an acquired taste. Unfortunalty i am still trying to acquire a liking for it.. but hey i just started drinking it. Another downside is that its expensive here. 6 bucks for a sixer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
pjcoupe (105) - Perryton, Texas, USA - FEB 18, 2002
Crisp,Clean,Golden and Delicious,I’m goin’to St.Paul.So it’s 883 miles.Can’t get it Oklahahoma City (just 250 miles away)anymore so I’m gonna go there and sample their other wares.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
mitch3499 (45) - APO, California, USA - FEB 8, 2002
I remember the old gold cans...used to like the beer...I have grown up now and it gives terrible headaches...taste like toenails!!!