Grand River Chikara Imperial Pilsner

click to upload

Formerly brewed at Grand River Brewing
Style: Strong Pale Lager/Imperial Pils
Cambridge, Canada

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 2.18/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.49   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
One off.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
matt7215 (2173) - Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 22, 2011
cask at 2011 anniversary party. solventy alcohol. hardly recognizable as a beer. not a fan fav at the fest.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Sammy (8627) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 16, 2011
Experiment that didnít work. Very dry cask smple handbottle and unfiltered. Not much aroma. Somewhat boozy,not drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
MrManning (2009) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - APR 15, 2011
Fresh cask sample, handbottled by the brewery. Thanks to Milos and Adil for sharing.Very cloudy straw lets almost no light in, pours just a thin ring of head. I wasnít going to add my score initially, as I thought the beer might have been off a bit, but reading other reviews now, I see that folks share my thoughts, and it is not just me. Strange nose on this one. Like wet straw on a farm, lots of pale malts,with a bit of floral spice and loads of alcohol. Strong very, very sweet, of pale malts again. Thatís about it. Sweet malts and alcohol. A bit of lemon on the finish. A massive beer that does not hide the alcohol well. Neat experiment in any event.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
JB84 (649) - Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA - APR 13, 2011
Cask at GRB cask tasting 2011. Pour hazy/oily straw yellow little head. Aroma super sweet, paint thinner, grassy hops and a ton of booze. Taste to boozy for me I couldnít get past the paint thinner mild grassy hops and pils played in the background. MF oily slick big body. Not my cup of tea but admire the stretch to make a bat shit crazy brew cheers!!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
JesseM (1151) - Margaritaville, Ontario, CANADA - APR 12, 2011
Cask at GRB cask tasting. Thanks to GRB for hosting this awesome event. Nice hazy straw gold, more of a head than the other casked stuff I had at this event. Aroma is a mixed bag, wet hay, jube-jube candies, alcohol, minor hops, wet dog. Interesting. Flavour is not as hoppy as I was expecting, as the spicyness and booze take over. Mild pale and pils malt drowned out by indistinct sweetness. Like the old ale, feels like you dropped a shot of vodka in the glass, and I wouldnít say it blends well. I know itís supposed to be a boozy monster but even bearing that in mind I still couldnít really enjoy it. Very interesting experiment though so Iím glad it was created in the spirit of creativity. I just donít usually like beers that I know will produce that run-over-by-a-freight-train sensation.