overall

RATINGS: 431   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 43   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
This thick, rich ale was brewed with plenty of caramel and roasted malts, and subtly spiced with American Chinook and Willamette hops. It boasts flavors of chocolate and coffee, along with raisins and dried fruit soaked in sherry. We’ve accentuated the natural smokiness of the brew by adding a small amount of beechwood-smoked malt and aging the brew in an oak whiskey barrel, which also adds notes of oak and vanilla.

Garbageman's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Garbageman (483) - Lexington, South Carolina, USA - NOV 17, 2012
From bottle. Pours rich black with a tan head. Aroma pure roasted malt, chocolate and slight spicey coffee and alcohol. Taste follows with rich coffe and creamy chocolate that finishes with a warm alcohol palette.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lightbias (313) - USA - AUG 16, 2015
A great sample from a rep at Grand Teton Brewing made this an easy one to review, but just because I made a new friend doesn’t mean I am going to pull any punches. I guess we see how it goes. -- The bottle is chilled, the 45 degree beer pours slowly, a deep nut brown, and once into the glass it becomes a sea of black, untouched by the light around the snifter. A minimal latte-hued head rises on the surface only to dissolve into the brew, leaving a lace of thin foam; a threadbare veil exposing the nuances of aroma to the air above the glass. -- I lift the snifter and inhale. The aroma is smoky-pine, dark chocolate and espresso. The smokiness electrifies my olfactories and I can already taste the accents on the back of my tongue. To complete the circle of senses, I draw the cool, thick beer and let it slip over my tongue, washing under it; I bring my lips together to draw it more deeply, allowing it to fill my mouth, and then I swallow. It’s sweet, smoky, spicy and raw. I breathe out and enjoy a new experience...vanilla and dark fruit now accompant the previous parade of flavors and my interest is peaked for the complexity of the beer. The warmer it gets, the more flavor comes through and every time I bring the glass to my lips, the head rises again; tenacious. -- The finish is warm and soothing, the flavors staying with me for a time, but not invading my thoughts. It’s pleasant and tasty through to the next sip; no matter, it seems, how much time has passed between them. -- I wasn’t going to pull any punches and to tell you the truth, I really didn’t have to. This is a damn tasty beer and I’m hoping that my new friend does his job right and gets it to my region. This will most definitely be a go-to for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ron (3065) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUL 30, 2015
Bottle bought at Dart in LT on 7.16.15. I did not notice the date on bottle was 9.9.13. Pitch black with a big tan head that slowly dissipates. Nose mostly roast malt and milk chocolate. Tastes of roast malts, chocolate, Liquorice, some coffee, mineral tones and something was just a little off. Probably how it was aged.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
jb (2543) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUL 29, 2015
Bottle share from Ron. Thanks Ron! Thick sudsy head on a clear pour with dark brown and orange highlights. Soapy lacing. Smells malty, nutty, vegetal. Vegetal taste along with chocolate. A bit thin. Bottle dated 9.9.13. This stuff may not age well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
penstemon (199) - Nevada, USA - MAR 14, 2015
Bottled 11/27/12. Pours inky black with a tan head. Aroma is booze soaked raisins, candied orange peel, a bit of cola, molasses, some spice, and lots of roastiness. Taste is raisin, roasty, dried fig, burnt sugar, caramel, slight sweetness, and medium bitterness. Med-full body, very smooth, maybe a touch too much residual sweetness. I prefer an imp stout to finish drier. Overall very good though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mfhennig (154) - McHenry County, Illinois, USA - MAR 9, 2015
12 0z bottle poured to a tulip. Black with a small tan head. Notes of cocoa, dark fruit and a hint of coffee. Slight sweetness and black cherry flavor. Very smooth and drinkable, a slightly bitter finish. I think it’s a nice stout to start with.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
CousinBrenden (125) - St Louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 10, 2015
Tons of flavor of plum toffee coffee and aroma to match. Sit by fire and enjoy. Bottle conditioned so lively carbonation and wonderful presence!

chinchill (3129) - South Carolina, USA - DEC 29, 2014
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2015 12 oz 2013 bottle. Aroma: rich and complex with a solid base of dark malts and hints of oak, dark fruits, Flavor: rich and complex with plenty of dark malts and hints of oak, toffee, dark chocolate; black coffee, whisky, smoke, raisins and other dark fruits, Feel: full, very smooth body with appropriate light carbonation.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
crajun (1084) - , Texas, USA - DEC 15, 2014
bomber dated 11/1/11 - must have rec’d in trade... aroma had many different things - roast, vanilla, wood, dark chocolate. pour was a perfect - 5 - darrrrk. Taste was solid - subdued version of aromas - nothing standing out, balanced. palate was a 4 - heavy but not as thick as I like. good, not great stout - but easy to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
crossovert (9586) - Illinois, USA - OCT 21, 2014
355ml bottle. 2013 vintage aged at the dristro, purchased at Walgreens for 9.39 a 4pk. It has a large head and its a beautiful looking stout. The head is massive, maybe form extra time inthe bottle and more yeast farts, it isa nice tan color and recedes slowly. Luckily it has aged well, it smells like bread, cocoa, peat, port wine, cinamon, coffee. Flavor is acidic coffee, dark fruits, port wine, scotch, some earthy/herbal hops, spiced bitter finish. Bit of metal, otherwise a ncie impy stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Homer321 (2855) - Melboring, Florida, USA - OCT 8, 2014
Bottle from trade. Nose is sweet, tobacco, chocolate, a hint of smoke. Pretty intense pour is pitch black with minimal brown head. Tastes lightly tart initially with a light acidic note. A bit of coffee in the flavor, medium mouthfeel. No barrel flavor in the taste, no oak, no vanilla. I think the tartness takes away from the flavor. Very burnt tasting. Not a fan.