RATINGS: 440   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 43   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
This thick, rich ale was brewed with plenty of caramel and roasted malts, and subtly spiced with American Chinook and Willamette hops. It boasts flavors of chocolate and coffee, along with raisins and dried fruit soaked in sherry. We’ve accentuated the natural smokiness of the brew by adding a small amount of beechwood-smoked malt and aging the brew in an oak whiskey barrel, which also adds notes of oak and vanilla.

camborne's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
camborne (656) - Hopkins, Minnesota, USA - FEB 20, 2013
Nose of chocolate and vanilla. Well balanced stout. Flavors are very even with nothing overpowering. Smoke is faint and nice. Really good

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
zizzybalubba (1691) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - NOV 21, 2015
750 mL bottle The Bottle Shop At Tyler’s Taproom, Raleigh (August 2015 release-listed as 9.5% ABV). Dark brown/black pour with a creamy khaki head. Aroma of star anise, mild coffee, and faint floral hops. Rich taste of dark chocolate and espresso upfront with background notes of oak, vanilla, and booze. Hearty and almost silky mouthfeel with moderate warming. A great imperial stout!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bigericsports (42) - Berkeley, California, USA - NOV 13, 2015
On Tap at Kip’s pint glass, pours black with a thick khaki head that lasts and leaves slight lacing. Aroma of bourbon, smoke, cherry, molasses, chocolate, and raisins. Mildly carbonated with a medium body. A decent Impy overall.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
monk191 (1451) - California, USA - NOV 7, 2015
A decent stout, but the flavors are a little messy. Kind of all over the place, and very fruity, lots of cherry for a stoutPours a deep black with a tan head. Smells of cinnamon, chocolate, and vanilla, with a smokiness. Taste starts off bright for a stout, with smokiness, then the chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla and grape juice come in, with some booziness throughout, and some lemon and holiday ale herbs in the finish. Reminds us a bit of a cuvee, or a mix of a few different beers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BlackBeerPG (126) - Darien, Illinois, USA - NOV 6, 2015
Taste is toasted coffee bean, toffee, molasses notes. Black and opaque. Roasted malt and coffee nose. Full body with dark tan head and webbed lace to head.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Darkmagus82 (2089) - - NOV 3, 2015
2015 vintage poured from 750 ml bottle into a chalice glass Appearance – The beer pours a nearly pitch black color with a one finger head of tan colored foam. The head of the brew has a great level of retention, slowly fading over time to leave a ton of foamy lace on the sides of the glass. Smell – The aroma of the brew is heavy of a dark and roasted malt smell with tons of coffee and a good strong showing of aromas of chocolate and a raisin. Along with these aromas comes some lighter notes of licorice and vanilla as well as a little bit of a toasted wheat bread smell and some light vanilla. Taste – The taste begins with a nice roasty and toasted malt flavor with a decent showing of a chocolate and lightly molasses sweetened expresso taste. As the taste advances, it ends up getting slightly sweeter as more molasses and chocolate, as well as a hint of sweet crème, vanilla and some raisin come to the tongue. All the while however, the sweetness is balanced by some char and an almost grainy like taste. Some boozy tastes of bourbon come to the tongue more toward the end of the taste, and with a slight increase in the sweet, end up leaving one with a dark and roasty, warming taste to linger on the tongue. Mouthfeel – The body of the brew is on the rather thick and chewy side with a creamy texture and a lighter carbonation. These feels are fantastic for the rich dark, roasty, and lightly sweet and boozy tastes of the brew and make for a very pleasant slow sipping beer; accentuating all the rich tastes of the brew very nicely. Overall – This is a very nice imperial stout overall. Not overly sweet, but very much sweet enough. It has a great roastiness and a fantastic feel, which overall creates a mouth coating, rich and roasty feel.

JohnGalt1 (1074) - , Idaho, USA - OCT 25, 2015
nice 3/4" lite brown creamy head with good lacing that lasted until the last sip. Aroma is chocolate malts and roasted grains... big aroma that reminds me of a cool mocha.. a little sweetness with a bunch of chocolate and coffee ... Flavor begins with the body... Fantastic body ... up front full mouthfeel ... viscous ... feels like it has a higher ABV .. creamy chocolate melts into the roasted barley ... not getting alot of hops, but I know they’re there.. Dark fruits.. chocolate covered cherries.. yummy... Drinks like a bigger RIS.

Craftbrewhaha (72) - - OCT 1, 2015
One of my new favorite beers! Big, roasty, rich, but not overly sweet. The aroma is the same. Something I’m going to get plenty of to lay down in the cellar!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jsnicholas (431) - Woodinville, Washington, USA - SEP 25, 2015
Bottle (750ml $10). Black with brown head. Nice imperial stout. Full body with some bitter sweet chocolate taste. A little vanilla too. Toasted malts.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
megabeergulper (13) - California, USA - SEP 20, 2015
Dark and well balanced. Good imperial stout. Good coffee and vanilla notes. Clean finish

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lightbias (358) - USA - AUG 16, 2015
A great sample from a rep at Grand Teton Brewing made this an easy one to review, but just because I made a new friend doesn’t mean I am going to pull any punches. I guess we see how it goes. -- The bottle is chilled, the 45 degree beer pours slowly, a deep nut brown, and once into the glass it becomes a sea of black, untouched by the light around the snifter. A minimal latte-hued head rises on the surface only to dissolve into the brew, leaving a lace of thin foam; a threadbare veil exposing the nuances of aroma to the air above the glass. -- I lift the snifter and inhale. The aroma is smoky-pine, dark chocolate and espresso. The smokiness electrifies my olfactories and I can already taste the accents on the back of my tongue. To complete the circle of senses, I draw the cool, thick beer and let it slip over my tongue, washing under it; I bring my lips together to draw it more deeply, allowing it to fill my mouth, and then I swallow. It’s sweet, smoky, spicy and raw. I breathe out and enjoy a new experience...vanilla and dark fruit now accompant the previous parade of flavors and my interest is peaked for the complexity of the beer. The warmer it gets, the more flavor comes through and every time I bring the glass to my lips, the head rises again; tenacious. -- The finish is warm and soothing, the flavors staying with me for a time, but not invading my thoughts. It’s pleasant and tasty through to the next sip; no matter, it seems, how much time has passed between them. -- I wasn’t going to pull any punches and to tell you the truth, I really didn’t have to. This is a damn tasty beer and I’m hoping that my new friend does his job right and gets it to my region. This will most definitely be a go-to for me.