RATINGS: 434   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 43   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
This thick, rich ale was brewed with plenty of caramel and roasted malts, and subtly spiced with American Chinook and Willamette hops. It boasts flavors of chocolate and coffee, along with raisins and dried fruit soaked in sherry. Weve accentuated the natural smokiness of the brew by adding a small amount of beechwood-smoked malt and aging the brew in an oak whiskey barrel, which also adds notes of oak and vanilla.

Nsanders' rating

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Nsanders (789) - St Paul, Minnesota, USA - SEP 9, 2010
Dark black, completely opaque. Coffee colored head. Strong coffee-like aroma with light maltiness. Bitter taste. Lightly syrupy thickness.

Craftbrewhaha (69) - - OCT 1, 2015
One of my new favorite beers! Big, roasty, rich, but not overly sweet. The aroma is the same. Something Im going to get plenty of to lay down in the cellar!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jsnicholas (411) - Woodinville, Washington, USA - SEP 25, 2015
Bottle (750ml $10). Black with brown head. Nice imperial stout. Full body with some bitter sweet chocolate taste. A little vanilla too. Toasted malts.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
megabeergulper (9) - California, USA - SEP 20, 2015 does not count
Dark and well balanced. Good imperial stout. Good coffee and vanilla notes. Clean finish

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lightbias (329) - USA - AUG 16, 2015
A great sample from a rep at Grand Teton Brewing made this an easy one to review, but just because I made a new friend doesnt mean I am going to pull any punches. I guess we see how it goes. -- The bottle is chilled, the 45 degree beer pours slowly, a deep nut brown, and once into the glass it becomes a sea of black, untouched by the light around the snifter. A minimal latte-hued head rises on the surface only to dissolve into the brew, leaving a lace of thin foam; a threadbare veil exposing the nuances of aroma to the air above the glass. -- I lift the snifter and inhale. The aroma is smoky-pine, dark chocolate and espresso. The smokiness electrifies my olfactories and I can already taste the accents on the back of my tongue. To complete the circle of senses, I draw the cool, thick beer and let it slip over my tongue, washing under it; I bring my lips together to draw it more deeply, allowing it to fill my mouth, and then I swallow. Its sweet, smoky, spicy and raw. I breathe out and enjoy a new experience...vanilla and dark fruit now accompant the previous parade of flavors and my interest is peaked for the complexity of the beer. The warmer it gets, the more flavor comes through and every time I bring the glass to my lips, the head rises again; tenacious. -- The finish is warm and soothing, the flavors staying with me for a time, but not invading my thoughts. Its pleasant and tasty through to the next sip; no matter, it seems, how much time has passed between them. -- I wasnt going to pull any punches and to tell you the truth, I really didnt have to. This is a damn tasty beer and Im hoping that my new friend does his job right and gets it to my region. This will most definitely be a go-to for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ron (3104) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUL 30, 2015
Bottle bought at Dart in LT on 7.16.15. I did not notice the date on bottle was 9.9.13. Pitch black with a big tan head that slowly dissipates. Nose mostly roast malt and milk chocolate. Tastes of roast malts, chocolate, Liquorice, some coffee, mineral tones and something was just a little off. Probably how it was aged.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
jb (2591) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUL 29, 2015
Bottle share from Ron. Thanks Ron! Thick sudsy head on a clear pour with dark brown and orange highlights. Soapy lacing. Smells malty, nutty, vegetal. Vegetal taste along with chocolate. A bit thin. Bottle dated 9.9.13. This stuff may not age well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
penstemon (199) - Nevada, USA - MAR 14, 2015
Bottled 11/27/12. Pours inky black with a tan head. Aroma is booze soaked raisins, candied orange peel, a bit of cola, molasses, some spice, and lots of roastiness. Taste is raisin, roasty, dried fig, burnt sugar, caramel, slight sweetness, and medium bitterness. Med-full body, very smooth, maybe a touch too much residual sweetness. I prefer an imp stout to finish drier. Overall very good though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mfhennig (161) - McHenry County, Illinois, USA - MAR 9, 2015
12 0z bottle poured to a tulip. Black with a small tan head. Notes of cocoa, dark fruit and a hint of coffee. Slight sweetness and black cherry flavor. Very smooth and drinkable, a slightly bitter finish. I think its a nice stout to start with.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
CousinBrenden (125) - St Louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 10, 2015
Tons of flavor of plum toffee coffee and aroma to match. Sit by fire and enjoy. Bottle conditioned so lively carbonation and wonderful presence!

chinchill (3221) - South Carolina, USA - DEC 29, 2014
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2015 12 oz 2013 bottle. Aroma: rich and complex with a solid base of dark malts and hints of oak, dark fruits, Flavor: rich and complex with plenty of dark malts and hints of oak, toffee, dark chocolate; black coffee, whisky, smoke, raisins and other dark fruits, Feel: full, very smooth body with appropriate light carbonation.