Serve in Bowl

RATINGS: 146   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Grand Teton Brewing Company has been brewing bold, flavorful beers and serving them from large, beautiful bottles as part of its Cellar Reserve Series since March 2004.

We’ve always intended these beers to be wonderful fresh but also to be “cellarable”--to improve with months or even years of proper storage. Over the years we’ve been happiest cellaring our strong malty beers. That’s made selecting styles for our summer Cellar Reserve releases a challenge, since the best beers for cellaring are not always the best beers to enjoy on a hot summer’s day.

In Berliner Weisse we think we’ve found the perfect style for our summer Cellar Reserve. This north German wheat beer is traditionally brewed and released very fresh. It has a light body from the wheat and refreshingly tart acidity that make it a perfect summer thirst-quencher. Its lemony tartness is provided by a secondary fermentation with lactobacillus, the same microorganism that’s responsible for yogurt’s tang. That tartness increases and improves with age, so the people of Berlin are known to buy extra bottles to bury in their gardens for two years or more.

As usual with our Cellar Reserves, we’ve taken a traditional style and added our own twist. In this case we’ve tripled the strength over the traditional beer, which should only increase its aging potential. For the primary fermentation we used a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen yeast that produces soft notes of banana and clove. We followed that with lactobacillus and six months in conditioning to create a complex fruity acidity that compliments the soft sweet malt tones and a unique ale that is both fulfilling and refreshing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Scipio (761) - Palatine, Illinois, USA - SEP 7, 2014
Pours a cloudy golden with a minimal white head. The aroma has wheat, lemon, banana, grass, and mild bubblegum impressions. The taste quite tar and is dominated by lemon and wheat. Some grassiness, banana, and spices are found underneath. I find hints of alcohol in here as well. The aftertaste is a heavy lemon and sticks with you for quite awhile. Light to medium in body, slick in texture, and a bit of some fizzy carbonation. This one is ok. But I feel that something is missing here.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ryrpat (227) - Illinois, USA - AUG 31, 2014
Was looking forward to this one but has an overwhelming wheat taste. Was too overpowering as I enjoy the more subtle wheat beers ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Concealer (1007) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 30, 2014
Tap at hops and pie. Hazy yellow with a thin white head. Aromas of tart lemon, vinegar, pear, yeast and light funk. Flavor is the same. Light bodied, slightly dry and acidic.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
charule (1821) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 29, 2014
On tap at Headquarters. Poured hazy yellow gold. Aroma of smokey oak. Light carb med bod. Similar taste to aroma.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
BuckeyeBoy (4068) - Boise, Idaho, USA - AUG 26, 2014
12oz bottle pours out a dark hazy yellow no head. Nose is grass lemon zest spice and some heavy malt. Taste is as the nose with lots of sweetness malts and not much normal Berliner notes. Not fresh crisp and tasty like most.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
IndianaRed (3123) - Boise, Idaho, USA - AUG 24, 2014
Excited to finally catch one of these seasonal finally. 12 oz bottle pours a murky dingy yellow with a thin skin of white. Some soapy web lacing. Dusty light pale grains with a bit of lacto sourness. and a little lemony citrus. Flavors is much closer to a standard Hef with the mild banana and clove, but doubled up in everything. Disappointingly lacking in the crisp tart classic BW character. What is this, exactly ?

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
JohnGalt1 (1074) - , Idaho, USA - AUG 21, 2014
12oz bottle picked up at the COOP... Pours a pretty hazy dark yellow... no real head to speak of and no lacing. Nose shows some very light yogurt qualities (that may just be in my head)... but the big player is wheaty pale malt and some yeasty phenols that remind me of clove. Flavor is a sweet mess of fruity pear and apple esters that belong no where in the same breath of anything Berliner. xx Body is entirely too thick... This brew is pretty much a disaster IMO.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
JK (5331) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - AUG 10, 2014
Sampled at All Pints North, 2014. I will always try a Berlinner Weisse when offered. Opaque yellow color. Some notes of wheat and mildly sour. There is just not much here, but I do like the sour flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Iphonephan (5001) - McLean, Virginia, USA - JUL 30, 2014
From a 4 oz taster at the brewery. Pours a cloudy pale gold with an off white head. Aroma of tart green apple. Flavors of banana and a pinch of sea salt. Tart crisp finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TattooJack (361) - Illinois, USA - JUL 29, 2014
I had my first hefe weizen when I lived in Germany 24 years ago. While there I tried them all from Berlin to Munich and everywhere in between. So when I was starring at this bottle and wondering if I was seeing the 7.5% alcohol correctly, I became very excited. "I like weizen, and I like strong beer" I thought to myself, but to get them together in the same package isn’t common. I am very impressed with this beer and I would suggest to any ex-GI who has done time in the bars of Germany must give this a try. The taste brings back memories. This beer could be served in a baunhauf bar to unsuspecting German drinkers and I think they would find it quite enjoyable, as I did. Job well done!