overall
Serve in Bowl

RATINGS: 139   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Grand Teton Brewing Company has been brewing bold, flavorful beers and serving them from large, beautiful bottles as part of its Cellar Reserve Series since March 2004.

Weíve always intended these beers to be wonderful fresh but also to be ďcellarableĒ--to improve with months or even years of proper storage. Over the years weíve been happiest cellaring our strong malty beers. Thatís made selecting styles for our summer Cellar Reserve releases a challenge, since the best beers for cellaring are not always the best beers to enjoy on a hot summerís day.

In Berliner Weisse we think weíve found the perfect style for our summer Cellar Reserve. This north German wheat beer is traditionally brewed and released very fresh. It has a light body from the wheat and refreshingly tart acidity that make it a perfect summer thirst-quencher. Its lemony tartness is provided by a secondary fermentation with lactobacillus, the same microorganism thatís responsible for yogurtís tang. That tartness increases and improves with age, so the people of Berlin are known to buy extra bottles to bury in their gardens for two years or more.

As usual with our Cellar Reserves, weíve taken a traditional style and added our own twist. In this case weíve tripled the strength over the traditional beer, which should only increase its aging potential. For the primary fermentation we used a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen yeast that produces soft notes of banana and clove. We followed that with lactobacillus and six months in conditioning to create a complex fruity acidity that compliments the soft sweet malt tones and a unique ale that is both fulfilling and refreshing.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
rubbishystuff (1880) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 13, 2012
UPDATED: OCT 14, 2012 An imperial Berliner Weiss? The increase in strength made it almost too sweet for the style. The tartness is matted down by the malt. Drinkable enough though the missus thought it reminded her of a slightly sour tripel. Serving: Bottle

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SPDickerman (991) - Texas, USA - SEP 30, 2012
Pours hazy orange with a fast fizzling white head. Smells tart, lemony, and a little sweet. Taste is tart, lemons, and a hint of banana. Light-bodied with a wet, refreshing texture and fizzy mouth-carbonation, Grand Teton Snarling Badger finishes a little tart.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
kbutler1 (1356) - Minnesota, USA - SEP 29, 2012
Bottle. Pours a very heady slightly cloudy wheat yellow color witha pillowy white heas. Citrus and wheat in the nose. Hmmm, doesnít taste like an Berliner Iíve had before. Slight green apple notes, wheat, and bubblegum. Berliner? I think not. Nevertheless, the flavors arenít bad. Drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
savnac (2391) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - SEP 27, 2012
750ml bottle (2012) from Yellowstone. Bright cloudy golden orange with a big thick foamy off white head. Aroma of lemon, fruity wheat, peaches and some light lacto. Flavor is mostly sweet fruity wheat with alcohol, dough, zesty lemon and light tartness. Medium to light body with active carbonation. More of a big wheat beer than a Berliner, the tartness is very subdued by the fruity wheat and alcohol. Interesting, not bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
cbfobes (2349) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - SEP 14, 2012
Bottle shared by drowland, pours an unclear golden with a think white head, aroma has some fruit but seems more like spices than anything, the flavor is pretty light and there isnít a whole lot there, overly sweet and not a lot of tartness to speak of, meh.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
bytemesis (3519) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - SEP 12, 2012
UPDATED: SEP 13, 2012 Bottle. Pours Hazy golden amber, large creamy white head, some lacing. Aroma of wheat, grain, lemon. Flavor of Tart lemon, wheat, lemon rind bitter finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
beerdad (397) - Kansas, USA - SEP 11, 2012
bottled. pours pale gold amber color with a white soapy head. aromas of malt banana and clove with a subtle lemon scent. taste is lemon sour/tartness and then bitter malt and sweet banana and clove. medium bodied with a light sour note on the finish

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 29, 2012
Bottle. Personal Rating #2600. I chose this for #2600 because, well...actually, I didnít really choose this beer for #2600; it just happened to be #2600, because thatís just what happened. Itís probably the 4800th beer Iíve had, but I am so sick of rating beer and saying the same shit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, that I probably rate every 16th new beer that I try these days. I chose to rate this because I couldnít figure out anything else to do. I was playing the guitar, but I donít think today was a good guitar playing day, I wasnít really into what I was playing today. I think another reason I chose to rate this beer is because itís...woah now, I almost said itís a berliner weisse, but what I meant to say that it says itís a berliner weisse..and I like berliner weisseís so I figured that because the label says itís a berliner weisse that it would in fact be..a berliner weisse, and being a berliner weisse, I figured that there was probably a decent chance that I might even like it, and then, because I liked it, I might be able to say some words in a rating that I hadnít said over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again in other ratings.

In any event. This is a 7.5% "Berliner Weisse" that tastes like an imperial hefeweizen. Iíve probably never said that sentence in a rating before. Pours a cloudy bronze-yellow, spotty white head. Hefeweizen-like nose of wheat, banana, and clove. Flavors follow suit; if there is lactobacillus in this beer, I think it may have been dead when it got thrown in. It basically tastes like a high alcohol hefeweizen. Itís not putrid or anything; itís not like the dead lactobacillus caused any horrific off flavors; i dont really think it did much of anything, actually. Itís just your average hefeweizen with a few more percentage points of ABV...this is what you call a date rape beer. I guess. I donít really know; I dont have much experience calling beers date rape beers; in fact, this was my first. I lost my date rape beer name calling virginity to Grant Teton Snarling Badger. Know mother fucking that, and know it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (typing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again is actually quite fun) and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hophead22 (2879) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - AUG 22, 2012
750ml bottle. Rating #61. Hazy golden pour with a thin white head. Fruity aroma, banana and apple come to mind and with a little spiciness to add to the overall strangeness of it all. Flavor is similar, more fruitiness, light banana and not much tartness. Nice beer, but itís not terribly berliner weiss like, tasty stuff though. (2467)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
topherh (1912) - Kearney, Missouri, USA - AUG 22, 2012
Pours hazy golden with a a fluffy white head. Aroma is sweet and citrusy. Flavor is lightly tart lemons, wheaty malt, and typical hefe flavors.