overall
Serve in Bowl

RATINGS: 137   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Grand Teton Brewing Company has been brewing bold, flavorful beers and serving them from large, beautiful bottles as part of its Cellar Reserve Series since March 2004.

We’ve always intended these beers to be wonderful fresh but also to be “cellarable”--to improve with months or even years of proper storage. Over the years we’ve been happiest cellaring our strong malty beers. That’s made selecting styles for our summer Cellar Reserve releases a challenge, since the best beers for cellaring are not always the best beers to enjoy on a hot summer’s day.

In Berliner Weisse we think we’ve found the perfect style for our summer Cellar Reserve. This north German wheat beer is traditionally brewed and released very fresh. It has a light body from the wheat and refreshingly tart acidity that make it a perfect summer thirst-quencher. Its lemony tartness is provided by a secondary fermentation with lactobacillus, the same microorganism that’s responsible for yogurt’s tang. That tartness increases and improves with age, so the people of Berlin are known to buy extra bottles to bury in their gardens for two years or more.

As usual with our Cellar Reserves, we’ve taken a traditional style and added our own twist. In this case we’ve tripled the strength over the traditional beer, which should only increase its aging potential. For the primary fermentation we used a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen yeast that produces soft notes of banana and clove. We followed that with lactobacillus and six months in conditioning to create a complex fruity acidity that compliments the soft sweet malt tones and a unique ale that is both fulfilling and refreshing.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
damzz (276) - Massachusetts, USA - AUG 19, 2012
Head is thick dissipating to dancing lacing in a sanitized glass - yeah, it looks like dancers and no, I’m not drunk. Color is hazy wheat burnished gold. Nose is fresh citrus. Palate is cirtus with the lacto bite with upfront wheat mildness and a refreshing wheat light/medium body. Recalling that Napolean’s troops called this Berlin champagne or something similar, I can understand that in this version which has an ABV of 7.5 % closer to champagne than the standard 3%. As so few beers do, it has a strong nose, which I appreciate. 2012 vintage brew in a 25.4 oz bottle. Enjoy!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SPDickerman (986) - Texas, USA - SEP 30, 2012
Pours hazy orange with a fast fizzling white head. Smells tart, lemony, and a little sweet. Taste is tart, lemons, and a hint of banana. Light-bodied with a wet, refreshing texture and fizzy mouth-carbonation, Grand Teton Snarling Badger finishes a little tart.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Travlr (13029) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JUN 4, 2012
Wow, terrific ideat o bring a berliner weisse to a festival on a hot summer day. Draft at the 18th Mountain Brewers fest. Cloudy yellow color, thick white head, solid lacing. Aroma of seawater and lemon. Taste is light lemon, salt, white bread. Really nice. Closer to a gose than a berliner.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TattooJack (140) - Illinois, USA - JUL 29, 2014
I had my first hefe weizen when I lived in Germany 24 years ago. While there I tried them all from Berlin to Munich and everywhere in between. So when I was starring at this bottle and wondering if I was seeing the 7.5% alcohol correctly, I became very excited. "I like weizen, and I like strong beer" I thought to myself, but to get them together in the same package isn’t common. I am very impressed with this beer and I would suggest to any ex-GI who has done time in the bars of Germany must give this a try. The taste brings back memories. This beer could be served in a baunhauf bar to unsuspecting German drinkers and I think they would find it quite enjoyable, as I did. Job well done!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rodriguez (264) - Quito, ECUADOR - OCT 14, 2012
Golden, banana, citrus, clove aroma, the same in flavor, with some tartness thanks to lactobacillus. The commercial description says it all, to be honest. A good twisted beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Benjii (3049) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - NOV 28, 2012
Bottle at home. Pours a hazy blonde colour with a decent white head. Aroma of peach, banana, cloves, wheat, yeast and alcohol. Similar flavours with moderate carbonation and foamy mouth-feel. Nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
EdInSaltLake (665) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - OCT 11, 2014
Acidic/lemony aroma; some sweet malt and earthy character. Tart flavor, balanced with malt sweetness. Sweeter finish, and more sour in the aftertaste. Subtle fruity and earthy flavors. Slight dishwater flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ngeunit1 (1555) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 17, 2013
A - Slightly hazy golden-orange with a finger of frothy white head. Fades fairly slowly. S - Sweet wheat and grainy malts, funky yeasts, sourness, lemon zest, tart green fruits, bit of oak. T - Sweet grainy and wheat malts, funky yeasts, some tart green fruits, lemon zest, and some light oak and vanilla. M - Medium-minus bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a funky and tart finish. D - Nicely balance berliner weiss. Could have used a bit more kick.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bhensonb (11389) - Woodland, California, USA - JUN 28, 2012
Capped 750 from Bine & Vine. Pours cloudy orange gold with a slight layer of transient whitish bubbles. Aroma is very fresh - light notes of banana and spice. Near med body. Flavor starts banana, moves to clove. Lemon seems in it. It’s pretty tart. Berliner weisse? Why not. A very spicy one, and one that doesn’t have extreme tart/sour, but sure. Drinks real nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
joeneugs (3416) - Livermore, California, USA - APR 20, 2013
On draft at Tap 25. This one was a nice surprise. I was a little worried about a 7.5% berliner, but this drinks more like a sour thankfully. It pours a cloudy yellow/orange with a white head. The aroma is tangerines, lemon, wheat and a touch of lactic yogurt. The flavor is nicely tart with tangerines, lighter notes of lemon and yogurt. Pretty easy drinking and approachable for a big sour. Worth seeking out.