overall
Serve in Bowl

RATINGS: 119   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Grand Teton Brewing Company has been brewing bold, flavorful beers and serving them from large, beautiful bottles as part of its Cellar Reserve Series since March 2004.

We’ve always intended these beers to be wonderful fresh but also to be “cellarable”--to improve with months or even years of proper storage. Over the years we’ve been happiest cellaring our strong malty beers. That’s made selecting styles for our summer Cellar Reserve releases a challenge, since the best beers for cellaring are not always the best beers to enjoy on a hot summer’s day.

In Berliner Weisse we think we’ve found the perfect style for our summer Cellar Reserve. This north German wheat beer is traditionally brewed and released very fresh. It has a light body from the wheat and refreshingly tart acidity that make it a perfect summer thirst-quencher. Its lemony tartness is provided by a secondary fermentation with lactobacillus, the same microorganism that’s responsible for yogurt’s tang. That tartness increases and improves with age, so the people of Berlin are known to buy extra bottles to bury in their gardens for two years or more.

As usual with our Cellar Reserves, we’ve taken a traditional style and added our own twist. In this case we’ve tripled the strength over the traditional beer, which should only increase its aging potential. For the primary fermentation we used a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen yeast that produces soft notes of banana and clove. We followed that with lactobacillus and six months in conditioning to create a complex fruity acidity that compliments the soft sweet malt tones and a unique ale that is both fulfilling and refreshing.

jake65's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jake65 (2600) - Williston, North Dakota, USA - AUG 4, 2012
Bottle: Pours a dirty blonde color with gold. Head is big, but short lived. I enjoyed the aroma; citrus, grass, florals, and hints of tart. A little tartness in the taste, but also a softer wheat vibe. Still a little citrus and more wheat. Better as it warms and imo better that a lot of the prior ratings would suggest, but I guess that’s part of the deal when you put a pretty mediocre brew in a cellar series and charge too much for it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
JK (4400) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - AUG 10, 2014
Sampled at All Pints North, 2014. I will always try a Berlinner Weisse when offered. Opaque yellow color. Some notes of wheat and mildly sour. There is just not much here, but I do like the sour flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Iphonephan (3151) - McLean, Virginia, USA - JUL 30, 2014
From a 4 oz taster at the brewery. Pours a cloudy pale gold with an off white head. Aroma of tart green apple. Flavors of banana and a pinch of sea salt. Tart crisp finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TattooJack (71) - Illinois, USA - JUL 29, 2014
I had my first hefe weizen when I lived in Germany 24 years ago. While there I tried them all from Berlin to Munich and everywhere in between. So when I was starring at this bottle and wondering if I was seeing the 7.5% alcohol correctly, I became very excited. "I like weizen, and I like strong beer" I thought to myself, but to get them together in the same package isn’t common. I am very impressed with this beer and I would suggest to any ex-GI who has done time in the bars of Germany must give this a try. The taste brings back memories. This beer could be served in a baunhauf bar to unsuspecting German drinkers and I think they would find it quite enjoyable, as I did. Job well done!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
djd07 (3468) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 26, 2014
Bottle thanks to Cody. Pours a cloudy orange with small frothy white head. The aroma is bubblegum, oak, and citrus. Medium mouthfeel with strong oak,light fruit, metallic finish. Decent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
baraciisch (1798) - USA - JUL 22, 2014
Hazy yellow orange in color... Aroma of dirty socks, funk, light citrus, wheat... Flavor is fairly crisp, light citrus and lemon notes initially, gives way to funky, tart rotten lemon finish... Little disappointing ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Tortman18 (187) - Batavia, Illinois, USA - JUL 20, 2014
Hazy, light straw yellow with a thin cap of white head and nice lacing. Nose has a moderate amount of citrus, wheat, peach and some sugary tartness. Mouth is slightly tart with some sweetness. The peach and wheat are noticeable but not strong. There was a slightly stale after taste as the tartness quickly vanished. A bit dissapointing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
scoth (492) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUL 6, 2014
Bottle from 2012. Pours cloudy copper with a big beige head, excellent retention, very fine lacing. Aromas of hay, wheat, caramel, lemon, apricot. Medium body, velvety smooth. Medium sweet, lightly tart, light bitter finish, with a mineral undertone. More malty and less sour than usual for the style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
zoucrew102 (501) - - MAR 7, 2014
Bomber. Aroma is wheat with tart, citrus notes. Pours golden, straw colored with a decent, white head excellent lacing. Taste is a lot like a wheat beer to start. Finishes dry, with the citrus notes coming through strong on the finish. Not bad, but just a little tart for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
gramity (1307) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 7, 2014
he beer pours a golden-yellow color with a white head. The aroma is full of peaches and wheat, with some light tartness. The flavor is very similar. There is quite a bit of fruit - mainly peaches and lemons - as well as some wheat. There is a good bit of flavor, but the tartness level is very light. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
burg326 (3650) - Florida, USA - NOV 3, 2013
Poured a golden color from the bottle with aromas of wheat, light lemon, and some fruit. Flavors were wheat, and light tart lemon, not the best beer to style, but ok overall.