overall
Serve in Bowl

RATINGS: 139   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Grand Teton Brewing Company has been brewing bold, flavorful beers and serving them from large, beautiful bottles as part of its Cellar Reserve Series since March 2004.

Weíve always intended these beers to be wonderful fresh but also to be ďcellarableĒ--to improve with months or even years of proper storage. Over the years weíve been happiest cellaring our strong malty beers. Thatís made selecting styles for our summer Cellar Reserve releases a challenge, since the best beers for cellaring are not always the best beers to enjoy on a hot summerís day.

In Berliner Weisse we think weíve found the perfect style for our summer Cellar Reserve. This north German wheat beer is traditionally brewed and released very fresh. It has a light body from the wheat and refreshingly tart acidity that make it a perfect summer thirst-quencher. Its lemony tartness is provided by a secondary fermentation with lactobacillus, the same microorganism thatís responsible for yogurtís tang. That tartness increases and improves with age, so the people of Berlin are known to buy extra bottles to bury in their gardens for two years or more.

As usual with our Cellar Reserves, weíve taken a traditional style and added our own twist. In this case weíve tripled the strength over the traditional beer, which should only increase its aging potential. For the primary fermentation we used a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen yeast that produces soft notes of banana and clove. We followed that with lactobacillus and six months in conditioning to create a complex fruity acidity that compliments the soft sweet malt tones and a unique ale that is both fulfilling and refreshing.

DaSilky1's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 29, 2012
Bottle. Personal Rating #2600. I chose this for #2600 because, well...actually, I didnít really choose this beer for #2600; it just happened to be #2600, because thatís just what happened. Itís probably the 4800th beer Iíve had, but I am so sick of rating beer and saying the same shit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, that I probably rate every 16th new beer that I try these days. I chose to rate this because I couldnít figure out anything else to do. I was playing the guitar, but I donít think today was a good guitar playing day, I wasnít really into what I was playing today. I think another reason I chose to rate this beer is because itís...woah now, I almost said itís a berliner weisse, but what I meant to say that it says itís a berliner weisse..and I like berliner weisseís so I figured that because the label says itís a berliner weisse that it would in fact be..a berliner weisse, and being a berliner weisse, I figured that there was probably a decent chance that I might even like it, and then, because I liked it, I might be able to say some words in a rating that I hadnít said over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again in other ratings.

In any event. This is a 7.5% "Berliner Weisse" that tastes like an imperial hefeweizen. Iíve probably never said that sentence in a rating before. Pours a cloudy bronze-yellow, spotty white head. Hefeweizen-like nose of wheat, banana, and clove. Flavors follow suit; if there is lactobacillus in this beer, I think it may have been dead when it got thrown in. It basically tastes like a high alcohol hefeweizen. Itís not putrid or anything; itís not like the dead lactobacillus caused any horrific off flavors; i dont really think it did much of anything, actually. Itís just your average hefeweizen with a few more percentage points of ABV...this is what you call a date rape beer. I guess. I donít really know; I dont have much experience calling beers date rape beers; in fact, this was my first. I lost my date rape beer name calling virginity to Grant Teton Snarling Badger. Know mother fucking that, and know it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (typing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again is actually quite fun) and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
GreatDane1632 (608) - USA - DEC 7, 2014
12oz bottle Poured into a tulip -- Pours and smells like a really good Berliner. Flavor doesnít back it up, too sweet not enough sour. Decent drinker.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
madvike (2905) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 3, 2014
Bottle - Now that this guy is in 12oz, I can get it in a mix-six. Pours golden with a ring of white head. Nose is banana, clove, white grape, pear, and a bunch of sugary sweetness. Taste is sweet banana, pear juice, and a bit of tart apple on the finish. Slick and medium-thin with ample carbonation. This is not a berliner weisse.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Theydon_Bois (9945) - The íSham, Surrey, ENGLAND - NOV 25, 2014
Bottle, from Bottlecraft Little Italy, split on the hotel patio SD on the evening of 13/11/14. Lightly hazed golden with a decent off white swirl and edgeing. Nose is lemon rind, bitter citrics, straw, tarte peach, light woody tunes. Taste comprises yeast esters, straw, hint of vanilla, bitter lemon. Medium body, fine carbonation, semi drying close with a tarte citric wash. Ok íLinner erring towards basic.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
gopherfan99 (612) - CROATIA - NOV 13, 2014
Tap; pours a cloudy gold with a white head; aroma is wheat and citrus; taste is sweet with citrus, wheat, and yeast; finish is wet and slightly bitter; not sure if this is a true Berliner Weisse as it does really have the sour characteristics of a Berliner Weisse, however this is not a bad beer

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
stevoj (2334) - Boise, Idaho, USA - NOV 1, 2014
Tart and slightly sour, hazy golden body with tiniest ring of a head. Aroma is floral, and yeasty like a Belgian ale. More tartness in the finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
chinchill (2144) - South Carolina, USA - OCT 29, 2014
12 oz bottle of Snarling Badger with bottled on date of 23 June 2014. Pours clear, light amber with a small head. The aroma is an unappealing mix of yeast, citrus, bready malts and funk. Flavor: mildly tart with a mostly lemony citrus tone. Some bready light grains. O: get past the aroma and youíll find a quite drinkable weisse beer with well hidden ABV.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
EdInSaltLake (672) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - OCT 11, 2014
Acidic/lemony aroma; some sweet malt and earthy character. Tart flavor, balanced with malt sweetness. Sweeter finish, and more sour in the aftertaste. Subtle fruity and earthy flavors. Slight dishwater flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
vyvvy (4135) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - OCT 4, 2014
Pours hazy yellow with a small white head. The aroma has smooth wheat, light tartness, orange and cotton candy. It has a medium body with some crispness and modest carbonation. The flavor starts with spices, mild tartness, creamy malt and hints of vanilla. The finish is astringent and seems to have a touch of cinnamon. Fair. Making this style imperialized always seems to bring it down in many aspects & bears little resemblance to what make the style enjoyable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ernest (6352) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - OCT 2, 2014
Bottle. Head is initially small, frothy, white, mostly diminishing. Body is medium yellow. Aroma is lightly to moderately malty (grain, corn starch), lightly hoppy (flowers), lightly yeasty (basement), with notes of sour apple, lime/lemon juice, gum. Flavor is moderately sweet, moderately acidic. Finish is lightly to moderately sweet, moderately acidic, lightly bitter. Medium body, watery/syrupy texture, lively carbonation, lightly alcoholic. Not particularly characterful, the sourness is a bit mild for the style, and the high alcohol is silly, but as a generic sour beer itís ok.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nuffield (3717) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 30, 2014
Now here was a beer I liked among the Grand Teton beers Iíve had. Both the sour and the lemon hit the palate pleasingly, with a refreshingly drinkable quality. Nice take on the Berliner Weisse. (at Ale Jail Anniversary Party 2014)