Serve in Bowl

RATINGS: 146   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Grand Teton Brewing Company has been brewing bold, flavorful beers and serving them from large, beautiful bottles as part of its Cellar Reserve Series since March 2004.

Weíve always intended these beers to be wonderful fresh but also to be ďcellarableĒ--to improve with months or even years of proper storage. Over the years weíve been happiest cellaring our strong malty beers. Thatís made selecting styles for our summer Cellar Reserve releases a challenge, since the best beers for cellaring are not always the best beers to enjoy on a hot summerís day.

In Berliner Weisse we think weíve found the perfect style for our summer Cellar Reserve. This north German wheat beer is traditionally brewed and released very fresh. It has a light body from the wheat and refreshingly tart acidity that make it a perfect summer thirst-quencher. Its lemony tartness is provided by a secondary fermentation with lactobacillus, the same microorganism thatís responsible for yogurtís tang. That tartness increases and improves with age, so the people of Berlin are known to buy extra bottles to bury in their gardens for two years or more.

As usual with our Cellar Reserves, weíve taken a traditional style and added our own twist. In this case weíve tripled the strength over the traditional beer, which should only increase its aging potential. For the primary fermentation we used a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen yeast that produces soft notes of banana and clove. We followed that with lactobacillus and six months in conditioning to create a complex fruity acidity that compliments the soft sweet malt tones and a unique ale that is both fulfilling and refreshing.

DaSilky1's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 29, 2012
Bottle. Personal Rating #2600. I chose this for #2600 because, well...actually, I didnít really choose this beer for #2600; it just happened to be #2600, because thatís just what happened. Itís probably the 4800th beer Iíve had, but I am so sick of rating beer and saying the same shit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, that I probably rate every 16th new beer that I try these days. I chose to rate this because I couldnít figure out anything else to do. I was playing the guitar, but I donít think today was a good guitar playing day, I wasnít really into what I was playing today. I think another reason I chose to rate this beer is because itís...woah now, I almost said itís a berliner weisse, but what I meant to say that it says itís a berliner weisse..and I like berliner weisseís so I figured that because the label says itís a berliner weisse that it would in fact be..a berliner weisse, and being a berliner weisse, I figured that there was probably a decent chance that I might even like it, and then, because I liked it, I might be able to say some words in a rating that I hadnít said over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again in other ratings.

In any event. This is a 7.5% "Berliner Weisse" that tastes like an imperial hefeweizen. Iíve probably never said that sentence in a rating before. Pours a cloudy bronze-yellow, spotty white head. Hefeweizen-like nose of wheat, banana, and clove. Flavors follow suit; if there is lactobacillus in this beer, I think it may have been dead when it got thrown in. It basically tastes like a high alcohol hefeweizen. Itís not putrid or anything; itís not like the dead lactobacillus caused any horrific off flavors; i dont really think it did much of anything, actually. Itís just your average hefeweizen with a few more percentage points of ABV...this is what you call a date rape beer. I guess. I donít really know; I dont have much experience calling beers date rape beers; in fact, this was my first. I lost my date rape beer name calling virginity to Grant Teton Snarling Badger. Know mother fucking that, and know it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (typing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again is actually quite fun) and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ajnepple (4074) - Colorado, USA - OCT 21, 2015
12 oz single bottle from Mollyís Spirits. Cloudy, dull orange appearance with a small white head. Aroma of orange peel, banana, clove, bready malts, lemon zest and yeast. Similar flavor, moderately acidic and mildly sweet with a hint of alcohol. Medium body with an astringent, light bitter finish. Itís a little bit hard to drink and it just tastes a little dull and off overall. Meh. Pairing: Widespread Panic - Set One, from July 4, 2010, at The Spud Drive-In, Driggs, ID

Craftbrewhaha (73) - - OCT 1, 2015
Higher alcohol than a typical Berlinerweisse, I still really enjoy this beer. Their is more body, which offers a wonderful balance to the acidity. One of my ultimate go-tos when Iím in the mood a tart treat.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
lightbias (362) - USA - SEP 13, 2015
Bottle from a rep who may no longer be a friend of mine. This opened fine, poured okay, and the aroma was lighter but more harsh than I expected. First sip told me that either this is a bad bottle, or this stuff is terrible. Highly acidic citrus in levels that made this is drain pour. First beer of the night. Actually uncomfortable to drink. Heíll need to make it up to me if he thinks this is a decent beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
dfinney23 (2397) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUN 18, 2015
Interesting twist on a Berliner Weiss, if it can still be called that. The sweet hefeweizen notes blend nicely with the traditional sour resulting in a muted SweetTart affect.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
RobertDale (4554) - Lansing, Kansas, USA - APR 27, 2015
On tap. Comes a somewhat cloudy pale gold with an average white head. Aroma of citrus, malt, and yeast. Taste is citrus, fruit, spice, malt, and yeast. Decent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
troyc (2870) - Illinois, USA - MAR 4, 2015
[Tap] Light golden color with a white head. Cloudy pour. Musty grains, green apples and wet grass in the nose. Notes of dough, citrus, clove, peppercorn and some alcohol in the taste. Harsh levels of acidity. Lots of carbonation. Lingering tart citrus finish. Thinner body. Not that easy to drink. Tasting notes from 8/2014.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
benfergy (235) - Valley City, North Dakota, USA - FEB 1, 2015
The aroma of this beer isn?t very strong; the most present element is the yeast. The taste is very good; there?s both sweet and (citrus) sour. The palate is refreshing. Good beer, even though I?m still not certain how much I like the Berliner Weiss style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
GreatDane1632 (1124) - Alabama, USA - DEC 7, 2014
12oz bottle Poured into a tulip -- Pours and smells like a really good Berliner. Flavor doesnít back it up, too sweet not enough sour. Decent drinker.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
madvike (3135) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 3, 2014
Bottle - Now that this guy is in 12oz, I can get it in a mix-six. Pours golden with a ring of white head. Nose is banana, clove, white grape, pear, and a bunch of sugary sweetness. Taste is sweet banana, pear juice, and a bit of tart apple on the finish. Slick and medium-thin with ample carbonation. This is not a berliner weisse.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Theydon_Bois (14333) - Tourist Town (West), Berkshire, ENGLAND - NOV 25, 2014
Bottle, from Bottlecraft Little Italy, split on the hotel patio SD on the evening of 13/11/14. Lightly hazed golden with a decent off white swirl and edgeing. Nose is lemon rind, bitter citrics, straw, tarte peach, light woody tunes. Taste comprises yeast esters, straw, hint of vanilla, bitter lemon. Medium body, fine carbonation, semi drying close with a tarte citric wash. Ok íLinner erring towards basic.