overall

RATINGS: 452   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.37   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Sweetgrass APA is a Pale Ale of distinction! 2009 Great American Beer Festival Gold Medal winner in the American Pale Ale category, this crisp and fragrant beer is hopped and dry-hopped with plenty of Amarillos and Cascades. Try it with any bold, flavorful food to complement its citrusy, resinous spiciness. Alcohol 6.0% by volume.

Awards 2009 - Gold Medal, American Pale Ale - Great American Beer Festival
Specifications
Original Gravity: 15.0 Plato (1.060)
Malts: Idaho 2-Row Pale, German Vienna & CaraAmber
International Bittering Units: 60
Hops: Columbus, Galena, Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade, & dry hopped with Cascade
Alcohol by Volume: 6.0%

Editorís Note: formerly called Sweetgrass India Pale Ale

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
boydmarq (48) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - SEP 1, 2012
Very nice beer. Hoppy and and bitter, but not too bitter. Very drinkable. Quite nice and I would definitely buy again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Fatehunter (1179) - Corbett, Oregon, USA - FEB 2, 2013
A finger and half of head on a hazy, dark straw colored body. The aroma is grapefruit and lemon with a milk note; interesting but good. The taste has a great balance of the malt sweet and hop bitterness. The bitterness comes through as lemon and pine. The texture is smooth and soft with moderate carbonation. Incredible. A great APA.

tightslice (171) - Redwood City, California, USA - JUL 2, 2013
Brewed in a pocket of the Grand Tetons near the border of Idaho and Wyoming. Another great APA / IPA added to the Top 10 Summer Dusk Drives Through the Heart of America Tour 2018.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
foyle (232) - Wyoming, USA - AUG 3, 2013
UPDATED: FEB 20, 2014 Appearance: pours a 1Ē cream colored head that recedes slowly, moderate lacing. Color is cloudy orange-amber with some streaming carbonation. Aroma: citrus rind, tangerine, sweet malt. Mouthfeel: somewhat light mouthfeel with a quite dry finish. Flavor: sweet malts give way to a tangerine hop and finishes with a somewhat burnt citrus rind flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Denver2012 (24) - - MAR 16, 2012
Pours copper with a nice cream colored head and respectable retention. Nice lacing to boot. Just the kind of aroma I want on a beautiful sunny day in the upper í70ís; hoppy with a mild but present sweet malt base. Some lemon, grass, and bread. The flavor was not nearly as hop forward as the aroma suggest, which is by no means a bad thing as I really enjoyed the flavor. A nice sweet malt base to this that pairs nicely with the hops, which provide some nice tea like flavor, some pepper, and a touch of lemon. Mildly bitter with the bitterness building up in strength throughout the sip. A wonderfully crisp but creamy mouthfeel. Medium bodied. I bought this as part of a mixed sixed pack, unsure what I might think of it, and glad I took the chance. A very nice, refreshing APA. A wonderful beer for the warm sunny weather and aside from the ABV drinks like a great session ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
kdm1984 (646) - Missouri, USA - MAY 26, 2012
UPDATED: OCT 14, 2012 Got this expecting it would be pretty decent based on the ratings...and here I am totally wowed. I think this is my new favorite pale ale. A lovely aroma of floral lemony citrusy goodness had me sniffing for about five minutes. I passed it around to others, and they all agreed it was quite the wonderful aromatic whiff. Pours golden orange with good head retention. Initial mouthfeel and flavors - somewhat thin (docked a point for that), but then some delicious mildly sweet malts and hops in the finish, citrusy bread, aftertaste lasts and lasts. In other news, this is the first beer my 70 year old mother has ever kind of liked. Shocking! I wonder why this fantastic brew is not raved about more often. OCTOBER REVISIT: I got another fresh batch. Prior to this revisit, Iíd also had the beer since my original May rate, but it was half a year old by then and not as good. This one, though, was bottled in August, and oh boy - that aromatic whiff is back! I am inhaling the aromatic wonder over and over before I drink it. Whenever these are fresh, the floral and citrus notes are just intoxicating (no pun intended). The lacing is also extraordinary, and the cloudy orange color is sunshine-like. This is such a cool beer in all aspects. The only real drawback is the mouthfeel is thin, like I mentioned before. Hopheads also might find this a little pedestrian, but itís still well-balanced. Remains my favorite APA, edging out Sierra Nevada by a nudge.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
lukemundy (33) - California, USA - JUN 2, 2012
Draft at Yardhouse. Full head and rich copper color. Slightly sweet fruit aroma and balanced hops. Not as strong as I'd expect but refreshing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Travlr (10035) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JUN 4, 2012
Draft. Hazy dark golden color, medium white head. Aroma of grass, tropical fruit, light pine. Taste is smooth spiced malt with decent bitterness. Very nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sickassmick (224) - Concord, California, USA - AUG 16, 2012
Aside from the hazy look of this beer, I get it. itís bottle fermented, this stuff is really really good. nice mouthfeel, lively. taste just like the name... fresh sweetness, nice balance of hops. Iíd probably rather have this than a sierra nevada pale ale. just tastes more like real ingredients. no real spicyness or cooked vegitable flavors. nice job! I bought this because the bitch creek was pretty damn good. next time I see this iím going at the whole six pack. I bought two others to taste and now they are probably going to get bad reviews. go Teton. send me some free beer for this review! Nite!

AlanRyker (45) - - APR 18, 2013
I donít usually trust APAs. There are too many weak-flavored wheat beers. This was a good risk. I could definitely take more hops, but this contains a good amount of resiny hops flavor. Good balance of sweetness. Full mouthfeel. Recommended for fans of IPAs.