Granite City Double Brown
     click to upload

Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 3.8/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
detroiter (958) - Euphoria, Minnesota, USA - JAN 15, 2007
It pours a clear deep brown color with about a quarter inch of light tan foam. From my growler, where its been for a couple-three days now, the beer looks a little undercarbonated. I don’t recall it looking undercarbonated at the brewpub. Moderate lacing throughout the glass. Mild malty aroma. It starts out like a fairly typical or even a mild brown ale, with a little chocolate nut sweetness up front. But mid sip, and into the finish, there’s a whiskeymalt flavor that kicks in. Its delicious. When I tried this at GC, I asked the bartender if it was made using a whiskey or bourbon barrel. He said it wasn’t. So where that taste comes from I don’t know. But I like it. I’m happy to report that the beer only *looked* undercarbonated. It isn’t, the carbonation held up just fine. Medium body, smooth drinking, the 8.2% alcohol is well hidden.