Granite City ESP (Extra Special Pilsner)

Granite City ESP (Extra Special Pilsner)
     click to upload

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 4.2/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
detroiter (958) - Euphoria, Minnesota, USA - JAN 15, 2007
Pours clear with a deep gold color with about an inch of white foam. The head dies back a bit but does not disappear. It leaves perfect rings of lace as I drain my mug. I detect a mild hoppy aroma. Not knowing what to expect, and hoping its not a malt liquor taste, I dive in. Yowza - one fine beer. Bold spicy & bitter hops throughout. Very hoppy for a pilsner. Strong malt stands up to the hops. No early quitter, this beer is bold throughout. It has a medium body and soft carbonation. It finishes just a little bit dry with a hint of malt. Spicy hops remain around the edges. Very good beer. I didn’t detect any alcohol taste at all, it was very smooth and tasty. The alcohol found me, however. Sweeet! The pub’s notes about the beer indicate that this beer is part of a Granite City tradition (like their doppelbock, imperial stout, and double IPA) of making a double strength version of a Granite City standard. This one is brewed with lots of Czech Saaz hops, and had an original gravity of 1.078.