overall

RATINGS: 203   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Combines premium malt with aromatic specialty hops. Brewed with our special yeast, this beer has a vanilla like finish. A robust ale. Pair it with holiday meals.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mansquito (3980) - Nueva York, New York, USA - DEC 28, 2006
Looks pretty nice with a small thick head and a dark amber colour. Smells sweet like a cream soda pretty much. Has a really nice creamy sweat taste going for it. Lots of vanilla taste in it. It has a kind of bite to it and the end, which is a wee bit hoppy, but not really too much. Definately a strange brew eh... I would drink it again because it is not too bad, but definately different from other beers that are out there.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
mgermani (1002) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 21, 2006
Ugh! This is hardly beer at all, but cream soda with a few hops thrown in for good measure. Pours light amber with minimal head, cheap vanilla aroma. Tastes like Barqs without the bite. Minimal hopping, good carbonation but thin finish and lingering sugary aftertaste. Yuck. Not for beer-drinkers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
georgekessel (68) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 16, 2006
I have not yet been able to pinpoint the nice vanilla flavor of this dark ale. It’s just perfect for the season - not too strong and not too light (well maybe a smidgen too light)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 12, 2006
Dark amber, lively carbonation with a small head. A somewhat bitter nose with a malty undertone. Some hints of alcohol. The flavor is mostly vanilla with some sweet malts present. Body is average the finish is full of vanilla bean.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Parsons (5) - CANADA - NOV 14, 2006 does not count
If you want your tastebuds tantalized give them one a go. If you are out of towner come to Vancouver in the Winter just to try this beer. I kid you not you will not be dissapointed.

HeatherLeather (1) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 20, 2006 does not count
Dear Winter Ale, I know SO many people who have never been beer drinkers, but LOVE Granville Island Lions Winter Ale. I tell people about it constantly. I even buy as much as I can afford near the end of the season so that I can drink it all year. One summer, I ran out in July, and I called the brewery to try to get my fix. They didn’t have any, but the woman that received my message actually called me back, and was very empathetic. I’ve even thought about making commercials for this stuff, it’s so good. If I could live off of it, I would. Love, Your Biggest Fan.....Heather

Felix (7) - CANADA - MAY 15, 2006 does not count
Simply the best winter Ale that I have ever had so far. Everything is in perfect balance. Irresistable Full Bodied Vanilla Flavored. Extremely smooth and velvety on the palate. This one goes on my top 10 best beers list!! Too bad it is only available in the winter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
mds (2250) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 15, 2006
bottle. thanks Len. pours a copper-brown body with a small off-white head receding to a small ring. the aroma is vegetal and sweet with some caramel and bread notes. maple sweetness is evident throughout along with some burnt bread malt. watery finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
omhper (20689) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - FEB 24, 2006
Draught at the brewpub. Clear nut brown. Cocoa aroma. Sweetish with plenty of vanilla and chocolate.The body is fairly light and the mouthfeel clean. Low hop rate and bitternss. It does have some really interesting flavours.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
BBB63 (6394) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - FEB 23, 2006
Bottle from Josh and served in my La Choufee glassware:
Pours a nice nut brown hue with a fading head but some frothy ring and lace. The aroma starts with a vanilla wafer and cardboard overtone and some ripened apple character. The taste starts with the same vanilla nature with a bcakground of sweet caramel malts. Additional notes of rye bread and fruit punch. Ends with a light spice bite which helped a lot but it still got way too sweet and boring for me. The feel is oily and carbonated but the sweetness dulls the palate. Needs a swift kick of hops or something for depth, very soda-like.