Grays Golden Light

Grays Golden Light
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 12   MEAN: 1.92/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.22   ABV: -
All Natural Low Carbohydrate Pilsner Beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
madvike (2733) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 18, 2012
So I get a call from my wife at work. Sheís picking the girls up from daycare, and sheís frantic. "I locked my keys in the car...can you come get me?" Daycare is a half hourís drive from work, give or take a few minutes based on traffic. I oblige, and 35 minutes later Iím getting my wife and the girls loaded up to go home. But the girls are hungry, so we call an audible and hit up Grayís Tied House. I havenít been impressed with the food or beer in the past, but we had a $10 off card, so I figure why not--at least it should be fast and filling.

So it wasnít a great omen when the waitress, upon our sitting down at our table, tells us that 4 of their 8 beers on tap--including the wheat and the IPA I had my eye on--are unavailable. I ask if thereís anything on tap thatís not on the menu. Yes, she tells me--a lager that the bartender described as "a bigger Budweiser". Awesome. I didnít want anything malty, so that whittled down my choices to the Golden Light or the Bud Grande. I chose the former.

Billed as "pilsner like", the Golden Light pours like youíd expect--clear yellow, but it surprisingly only has a thin white filmy head. The nose is all corn when itís ice-cold, but shows a honey sweetness as it warms. The taste--welp, itís corn. No hopping to speak of, really neither sweet nor dry. Itís just...corn. Pretty sharp carbonation bites on every sip, and the whole thing is incredibly boring. It didnít even go well with the chicken salad I ordered. It was a sad beer day, but at least my wife got her keys out of her car.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Scubatrip (596) - Annandale, Virginia, USA - AUG 23, 2010
On tap at the brewpub, pours clear with a decent head. No real aroma, no real taste. Very light but not watery. Itís a sacrificialy light beer in its epitomy.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
drowland (6038) - Valdosta, Georgia, USA - AUG 22, 2010
8/19/10. 12oz bottle courtesy cbfobes! Straight from the bottle like it should be, baby! Very bitter and corny aroma with a light corny and metallic flavor. Meh.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
iabeerguy (392) - Iowa, USA - AUG 16, 2010
A little bit bitter than your traditional light beers but not by much. Pale Yellow color with very minimal head. Aroma is missing and the flavor is maybe a slight bit of hops but not much.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
noncaloric (684) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 21, 2009
Very pale gold, thin white head quickly fading to a ring. Surprisingly robust aroma, consisting entirely of vegetal sweet corn. Adjuncty, but not off. Flavor similar, creamed corn with a caramel sweetness to it. A bit of a metallic off edge in the finish. Thin to medium body, the caramelly element comes off as mouthcoating despite the thinness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Skyview (5209) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - OCT 13, 2008
On draught at the Grays Tied House brewpub, just west of Madison, Wisconsin. Pours a clear golden blonde brew with a fast dissolving white head that leaves behind a thin white ring. Aroma of golden grain malt, a touch of both grassy and citrus hops, with a hint of lemon. Taste is light bodied, some extra carbonation with flavors of golden grain malt, a touch of corn grits, lemon zest and a hint of grassy hops. Finish is semi-dry with a golden grain and lemon zest aftertaste.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
kp (10886) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - AUG 18, 2008
Date: 08/07/2008
Mode: Draft
Source: Brewpub

Appearance: hazy pale yellow, wispy white head, streaks of lace,
Aroma: sweet cereal malt aroma with light floral hops,
Flavor: sweet cereal flavor, touch of fresh corn, light balancing bitterness,

Aroma: 3/10; Appearance: 5/10; Flavor: 3/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 6/20
Rating: 1.8/5.0
Drinkability: 6/10
Score: 4

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
jpm30 (1587) - East Central, Georgia, USA - FEB 25, 2008
12 oz. bottle, smudged, unreadable numbering on the shoulder of the bottle that I am assuming is a freshness date, sampled in a Capital pilsener glass. Purchased at the Woodmans in Janesville, Wisconsin. L: Amber hued golden with a finger high dusty white head that quickly settled into a fine sudsy skim, just a hint of soapy lacing at the top of the glass. The typical active micro bubbly carbonation that you would associate with the style. S: Sweet pilsener malts, light grainy traces, and a nice soft floral, herbal hop spiciness. Further whiffs reveal a light lemony scent. F&T: Mildly firm and moderate bodied, crisp with a nice rounded feel in the mouth, a bit more heft and creaminess than a lot of other light lagers, far from being thin and dull. Pleasantly refreshing taste, sweet pale malts with a pilsener-like dryness in the finish. Lemony hops in the middle before turning to a delicate spiciness at the end. The Grayís beers that I have had in the past were all pretty decent offerings and this is no exception. Just about everything I could want from a light beer. My bottle had no "Golden" in the title, just called "Grayís Light."

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
heemer77 (5100) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JAN 16, 2008
Called Grayís Light on the bottle. Bright gold body with a large white head. The aroma has some bell peppers and bread crust. The metallic finish goes with the canned mushroom flavors. Notes of corn are also present. Pretty bad, even for the style.

bitchkittie (1) - Verona, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 31, 2006 does not count
This is my favorite Fred Gray invention, though it was made for his lovely wife, I like to think it was made just for me.