Great Bear Valley Trash Blonde Ale

(RETIRED)
Great Bear Valley Trash Blonde Ale
     click to upload

Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 7   MEAN: 3.43/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
The same style as our Big Su Strong, but with a decidedly “Valley” approach. A bold and robust beer, that’s just about as subtle as a 2 x 4. Can we pour one for you, Ben?

josarah's rating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
josarah (111) - Hinesburg, Vermont, USA - AUG 21, 2008
Draft at brewpub, medium white head, yellow color, malty/grassy aroma. Nice citrus taste with light hops. Very smooth and dangerous. I could get in trouble with this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TomDecapolis (4445) - Milton, Delaware, USA - JUL 9, 2007
On tap at the brewpub. Pours a golden/yellow with a medium white head. Aroma of dough, grains, grassy, citrus and some floral. Flavors the mix of the same with a nice hop bitterness. Best beer I had on tap during my visit here.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
OldGrowth (2624) - North Carolina, USA - JAN 13, 2006
On tap @ Humpy’s. Ok nose, sweet. Some lager notes, well as I think of them, Toasted grain, sourdough, with orange, honey, grassy in there too. Hazy golden orange color, small to no head, no lacing. Sharp bitter flavors, I though kind of grassy metallic. Lemon came into play, Medium body, lite creamy mouthfeel, sweet smooth finish. I was diggin this one, seemed to jump a couple catagories. I wasn’t sure what to call it as Humpy’s had it under the Golden/lager/pilsner umbrella. I see we have it under ASA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DarkElf (3033) - La Jolla, California, USA - AUG 20, 2005
(Draft: Café Amsterdam in Anchorage, AK) I really don’t know what to make of this beer. Categorized as an Imperial Blonde by the very knowledgeable bartender at Café Amsterdam, listed as 8% both at this bar and at the brewery, I swear it doesn’t seem to even be over 6%. Mildly sweet and very fruity, featuring tropical fruits, peach, orange citrus, and just a mild bitterness in the finish. The aroma is sweet and fruity as well with very light malts in the background. Light body, but with enough sweetness that it sticks on the palate, filling every crevice. Dark straw color, very hazy in appearance. White head fades to a thin rim, but leaves lots of spiderweb lacing on the glass. Just an odd duck, and I really want to like it more than I actually do. Still, for a golden ale (albeit an amped up alcoholic one), it’s not bad.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Braudog (5600) - Hampton, Virginia, USA - JUL 17, 2005
Draft at the brewpub 7/14/05: Bright yellow with a firm head. Nice lemony citric flavors pour out of the aroma; there is a hint of the alcohol, but this drinks way too easy for the punch. Very good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jsquire (3402) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - FEB 1, 2005
On tap at the 2005 Great Alaska Beer and Barley Wine Festival. I had several samples of this odd little beer. Murky yellow color with almost no bubbles. Strong pine nose. This beer has lots of hops in the flavor with orange peel and lots of pine and a raw grain sweetness. Not bad, but odd.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
PorterPounder (5376) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - SEP 8, 2004
Had on tap at the brewpub in Wasilla, Ak. Named in honor of the loving name bestowed upon the residents of this region - the Matanuska Valley of Alaska. Pours a nice golden color with a generous white head. Sweet honey like aroma. Same honey essence carries over to the flavor. Creamy mouthfeel. One of the better blondes I have had from a brewpub.