overall

RATINGS: 305   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 366   ABV: 12.2%
Barrel Aged Yeti Imperial Stout has been aged for 20 months in used barrels from Stranahan’s Colorado Whiskey, Colorado’s only whiskey maker. The rich and robustly roasted beer of 12.2% ABV and 75 International Bittering Units (IBUs) picks up flavors of oak, vanilla and whiskey through the extended aging process. These flavors add greater complexity to the already rich beer, while tempering its assertive nature.

“Our intent,” says Great Divide founder Brian Dunn, “was to age each beer in the barrels for 9 months. But we got busy with other projects, primarily the addition of a new bottling line, and the beers ended up aging for more than a year and half.” While the labels on the bottles state that the beers were aged 9 months in barrels, both beers were in fact aged 20 months in barrels.

Release limited to 470 bottles.

BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - OCT 7, 2008
Another great effort. I enjoyed the Ruffian a tad more. Minimal tan head during the pour. Color is a fairly opaque black....I didn’t use a flashlight but it looked damn dark to me. Whiskey and wood in the nose....seemed more subtle than in the Ruffian. Delicious flavors.....mocha, more whiskey, woody.....didn’t detect much effect from oxidation....I was worried. Wish I could get more of this stuff!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerbastard (771) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - JAN 2, 2012
First of all, this cost more than its worth. Very Black and one of the darkest heads I have seen. Very complex aromas and flavors. The nose is a mixture of molassas, chocolate, and bourbons. The tastes are even more complex, coffees, whiskey, chocolates,wood, very malty and roasty. Well balanced. Very smooth and full palate. The finish has a wood like dryness. I like it, but it is not the best, and for the price, I like it less.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
darkguardian (727) - Florida, USA - JUL 7, 2009
Botle at the BA Bolita release party. Huge oaky bourbony nose. Drives some of the chocolate aroma of the base beer under but the roasted coffee nose still is there. Flavor is amazing and well integrated. Smooth with very big notes of chocolate and bourbon. Roasty and slightly bitter on the backend with a lingering bourbon and vanilla finish. Very very good.

beerchugger (708) - North Canton, Ohio, USA - SEP 28, 2009
Pours opaque black with a thin tan head. Sweet aromas of vanilla and molasses develop giving this beer a strong bourbon quality. The vanilla really comes through in this one. Bourbon abd charred wood are extremely noticeable. Other flavors of chocolate and coffee, molasses on the tongue make this one nicely complex. A real pleasure to drink.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
railcat1 (701) - Kissimmee, Florida, USA - APR 30, 2009
I had this in cellar and waited till i moved and got settled and now is the time,just like all the other Yetis this was exceptional with hints of chocolate and coffee and a nice bourbon finish to it.CHEERS!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lassem (652) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 22, 2010
As I wrote on the rating of the normal version I drank this one next to the normal one and actually they came quite close in taste and the impact of the barrel aging wasnt that big as seen in other beers. Still this comes out as a winner in my book due to the fact that the aging after all gives it a more smooth taste where the sharp edges are gone. Its pretty much looks the same as the normal version. A very dark beer with a cappochino coloured head though seems the foth on this one to beer a little thicker. The nose is also pretty much the same. I would like to think that there are some notes of wood but I am not that sure. The taste is less bitter and much rounder as I wrote earlyer - the aging has done its job here. There are burned malts and some hops. The tasteis nice and round and appears more balanced. Still this is a bitter beer - and I like it for that bitterness. In the finish you sense the wood more I guess. NIce

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DesertDevil (634) - Arizona, USA - OCT 15, 2013
2011 bottle. Aroma of subtle whiskey, sharp blackstrap molasses, and anise. Pours a medium black. Quite mellow taste of smooth bourbon, dark chocolate, biscuit, some burnt marshmallow, and slight vanilla. All rough edges are smoothed out. Medium body; lightly carbed. The beer shows signs of slight oxidation. Good brew, but not nearly worth the price.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
oobawa (626) - South Carolina, USA - JUL 9, 2011
As Jeb said, "All Yeti should taste like this." I can’t agree, since I’ve yet to make it through all the various incarnations of Yeti out there, but I’m sure of one thing: Barrel-Aged tastes amazing. Starts dry and thick, but quickly grows and oily, sweet center that drips with whiskey and sunshine. The fade dries out again, bringing with it vanilla, licorice, and booze, making for near-perfect stout happiness.

AllAboutStout (605) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 13, 2008
Another one of the stalwarts that Beachbum1975 broke out on us. Great night. Pours a murky brown in color. There is no head forming on the pour but there are very large bubbles all over the perimeter of the glass. Nose is a little boozy. Not quite a bourbon smell but just boozy and a bit of an alcohol note. I agree with Shane that this needs to warm up to near or just shy of room temperature. The flavors really come through and it gets a fuller mouthfeel. Lots of oaky and chocolatey and whiskey coming through in the flavor. Nothing is dominating but they play off one another very well. Incredibly smooth on the mouthfeel. I do not mind the lack of carbonation. Matter of fact I actually prefer it in a beer of this nature. Easily the best of the Yeti series that Avery makes. Just wish this was more readily available and cheaper. I could find myself drinking this quite often.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jarspag (601) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 18, 2009
Bottle thanks to the Gambeeeeez of doooom. The long barrel aging didn’t really do this guy well. Reminded me of BA Speedway in how it took on an annoying sweetness. Good and enjoyable, but not an epic beer. I’ll take both yeti and oaked yeti over this...