overall

RATINGS: 2337   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Hoppier, maltier and with more alcohol than a standard IPA, Hercules Double IPA definitely is not for the faint of heart. Hercules Double IPA is, however, an elixir fit for the gods. A brash but creamy wonder, Hercules pours a deep orange-coppery color, forming substantial lace in the glass. Hercules Double IPA delivers a huge amount of piney, floral, and citrusy hop aroma and flavor from start to finish. A hefty backbone of nutty, toffee-like malt character balances Hercules’ aggressive, punchy hop profile. 85 International Bittering Units (IBUs).

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
shameusburp (171) - Virginia, USA - MAR 26, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 20, 2005 Great IPA period. Lost in hops and citrus undertones. Bitterness mingles throughout the whole bottle. Truly awesome.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - MAR 23, 2005
Wonderful hop aroma. A blast of hop flavor and bitterness from the first drink, balanced nicely with just enough malt backbone. A good example of the style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jonathan3584 (323) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2005
One of my first double IPAs, preceded only by 90 minute, I believe. A wonderful beer. Much better balanced than the likes of some DIPAs. Great beer all around.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Dillen (3) - Chicgo, Illinois, USA - MAR 22, 2005 does not count
intense spruce and grapefruity notes in the aroma, Taste of pine resins well blended malts to offset the heat of 9.9

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
skaughty (643) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAR 15, 2005
Welcome to Georgia big boy! I love when I can open something I’ve been saving because I fear it would be hard to get another bottle
This is not your typical crisp refreshing IIPA. That isn’t a putdown. This is a complex, nutty, malty treat that has an amazing thickness to it. The aroma is muted by the alcohol sizzle, but the finish is so dense the alcohol is long gone by then. The caramel and resin really lean this towards the fringes of a barleywine. (in the same way Sierra Nevada Celebration might).
I admire this creation more than I like it.

JMerritt (1771) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - MAR 13, 2005
Sampled at Peoria Int’l Beer Festival. Probably my favorite of the festival. Cloudy orange in color with a small white head. Cereal grain aroma underlined with grapefruit, tangerine, and orange. Hop flavor is actually quite mellow for a double IPA, which I actually prefer, with a chewy caramel malt center, like cracking into a hop-coated caramel candy. Not too aggressive, yet complex. This really displays the brewer’s talent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
WISEGUY572 (1372) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 12, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2006 I really did not like this beer. I am a fan of overly hopped high alcohol brews, especially from DogFish, but the alcohol was the most prominent flavor, followed by some cherry bubblegum off notes. I would not driink this, perhaps the only IPA I have ever said that about. // I retried this today and served it to a team of beer executives from South America. We all poured ours out. Again, still the only IPA I consider undrinkable. In fact, I have to drop the the overall rating ... this is just not a well made or interesting beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rickgordon (3843) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - MAR 12, 2005
Bottled. Deep orange colour. Big flowery, pine nose. Aggressive hop bite from start to end. Still good balance of hops and malt. Mandarin notes. Burning alcohol touch. Salty all along, that lasts minutes after, in its hop bitterness. This is more-ish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Tejas (868) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAR 11, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 12, 2005 Pretty & really aromatic at the same time. This is gonna be a big beer. Alcohol is hidden well. Tons of grapefruit flavors. I’d drink it again but it wouldn’t be the first IIPA I reach for. You can easily tell it’s Titan’s big brother.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BCAR (221) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - MAR 9, 2005
Hazy orange frothy pour. Beautiful aromatic deep pine nose. Start to almost finish a great beer. Light caramel malt flavor with excellent fruity, floral body. Right amount of alcohol profile. Finish is a little on the bitter side for me, but not overwhelming.