overall

RATINGS: 1553   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
English-style Old Ale. Hibernation Ale is Coloradoís original strong ale -- it has been Great Divideís winter seasonal each year since 1995. Hibernationís massive flavors are so intense that it requires over three months of aging each year. This lengthy aging process gives Hibernation its revered malty richness, complex hop profile and hearty warming character, which is perfect right out of the bottle or cellared for longer periods of time.

8.1% ABV through 2008
8.7% ABV in 2009

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 27, 2003
I opened it, I poured it, I brought the glass to my nose, I sipped it. and .....big deal. Ended up power chugging this one. I'm sure my rating will suck as compared to the average but who cares. I'm glad I had only one to drink because well I really didn't want to have to think of finishing the remaining five. If your still reading at this point, here is what my final thoughts are. Don't waste your time with this one, not as bold and assertive as the caption on the bottle says.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JCW (1275) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 5, 2003
Hibernation reminds me of 3 Floyds Behemoth(which I think I need to rerate down). It is not as syrupy as Behemoth. It has a nice balance of malty sweetness and hops bitterness. Alcohol is not noticeable. Pours a little cloudy. Aroma of hops. Great Barley.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MartinT (7952) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 12, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2007 A swooning coffee bean dryness whelms the smoked cranberries...Piney, wooden hop hormones tickle the chewy anisey, caramel-laced malt body...Cheeks redden as anatomy is candied and romanced...Another Great Divide masterpiece! Redolent of some Gouden Carolus malt homages?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jsquire (3499) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - JAN 2, 2003
Red orange color out of the bottle with a quickly disappearing beige head and a subtle, toased grain nose. Nice caremel sweetness with roasted bitterness in the finish. Nice beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeM500 (1905) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - JAN 2, 2003
I thought this was going to be a honey flavored ale due to the big yellow script on the label. I was very surprised when my first sip was packed with grainy malts and a big fistfull of hops!!!! This is a fine ale that also has a bit more alcohol than it hints of. Nicely complex for a beer that I decided to gulp down right out of the bottle! 2002 version.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - JAN 2, 2003
aah, at last, a huge winter beer capable of warming even my stoney and jaded palate (iíve tasted too few of the highest rated ones and a spate of the wimpish wannabes). decants a deep rosy amber like red x-mas lights seen through the squinted eyes of a beautiful beer buzz; tresses of silky foam. aroma of very lightly scorched wood and brown sugar made incendiary with plenty of alcohol. taste of bourbon malts, lightly smoky, allowing only a bread-like sweetness. ultra-soft bristles of carbonation airlift spruce cone hoppiness way to the back. this gorgeous beer kissed me like she meant it--at midnight, 2003.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fly (1417) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - DEC 16, 2002
Really enjoyed the rich malts in this. First seasonal that didnít have that odd bitterness that I find in alt biers. Just had one before moving on to others, so a reratemake be forthcoming. Right now, Iím looking forward to more.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Nuffield (3691) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 12, 2002
A beer that doesnít know what it wants to be. I think you could classify this one a number of ways. First observation, both in color and flavors, is the dark, very malty tenor of it all. Aroma definitely of an English strong ale, as promised, then roasted flavors, sticky sweet, passing into the hoppy phase, the grapefruit phase, the warming strong ale phase, then the IPA bitter phase. All over the map. Itís good, especially the malts, but it leaves me unsettled. Some nice parts, but I canít stomach sweet sour bitterness.

hoorayforbeer (105) - Denton, Texas, USA - DEC 9, 2002
Rerate: This got a bit better after sitting in stores for a couple months. Much smoother with spices and hints of spruce and pine. Original: Very interesting brew--has a bitter íwild berryí bite to it, but as it warms up the malt and roasted flavors kick in.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - DEC 8, 2002
A great beer from a very good brewer. Pours like mollasess. Thick rocky head. Hoppy in the 60 IBU area. Very pronounced. Abv is perfecrt; while not absent it does not dominate. Very malty with a due amount of sweetness. A great warmer.