overall

RATINGS: 2146   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.16   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Crack open Yeti Imperial Stoutís sophisticated sibling -- Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout. Although these beers come from the same clan, they have entirely different personalities. Aging on a blend of French and toasted oak chips infuses a subtle oak and vanilla character into Yetiís already intense chocolate, roasted coffee malt flavor and hugely assertive hop profile. Who says you canít tame a Yeti? 75 International Bittering Units (IBUs).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - JUN 4, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2008 I know nobody is gonna like this but I donít care, this was a big dissapointment, I really was expecting some vanilla flavor in it and there was none, it was very hoppy and bitter which took away any good flavor, it didnít really taste bad but didnít taste awesome like I expected, I guess I expected too much. It was just your normal average Imperial Stout, way too much money spent at $7 for 1 22oz. bottle. Wow how 3 years have changed. Black pour, big tan head. Aroma is big leafy green hops, and some wood. Flavor is coffee, chocolate and just a touch of roasted malts, then slams you with hops like crazy, ctrus and resin, plus minty northern brewers. What a damn hops bomb. Some oak lays in the background with a touch of smoke but no vanilla. Really abrasive with the hops, lay off will you?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dogbrick (7243) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 3, 2005
I remember the bitterness of the regular version of Yeti being the only thing that kept me from liking it a whole lot more than I did. Luckily with this iteration the almost overdone hops are reined in by the aging. The beer is thoroughly black with a thick dark brown head. Sticky rings of lacing. Big chocolate and hops in the nose. Rich and velvety with lots of roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. The vanilla advertised on the bottle is there in trace amounts. The finish is where the hops kick in again but they arenít overwhelming as in the non-aged version. As it stands I liked this one a lot.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Odeed (1774) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JUN 2, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 28, 2005 many thanks goes to footbalm for hooking this up.the oaked yeti poured a super black with a nice looking 1/2 inch chocolate head.as the head sat it left nice lacing/webbing.when it comes to looks,you cant get much better than this.as i gave it a wiff my nose picked up oak,chocolate,canilla,smoke,gram crackers,and hops.honestly,more hops than i usually detect in an imperial stout.now for the first sip.....wow!loads of oak and vanillafollowed by some pine-ish hops,smoke,chocolate,roasted malts,bitter chocolate...damn.like the energizer bunny,this just keeps going and going.the mouthfeel was very full and coated the inside of my mouth and throat.this is a big beer,for big beer drinkers for sure.although as other people have stated,it has just a little to much hops for me.other than that....i cant complain.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
tjthresh (1865) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - MAY 31, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2006 1/29.06 Iím re-rating this because the first time I rated OA Yeti was early in my rating career, and I may have been over zealous. Since that time, Iíve experienced many totally rockiní beers, let alone imperial stout. While OA Yeti is a must have, my training forces me to knock him down a notch or two. The oaking marginally improves the standard Yeti. 5/31/05 Yes. This is a fabulous beer. Think, chocolate malted, fluffy, compact, long standing head. Aromas of bitter chocolate, dark roast coffee, and oh yeah oak. Quite a bit of hop aroma also. Very mouth filling. Viscous. Roasted malts and big hop bitterness. I recieved this through trade with hezron. Iíd kill for a case.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DarkElf (3025) - La Jolla, California, USA - MAY 30, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 2, 2005 (22 oz bottle: Obtained in trade with bkelley68, thanks Brian!) I was so looking forward to this beer, expecting it to rival the other oak/barrel aged Imperial Stouts Iíve rated, but sadly, this one falls far short of my expectations. In fact, compared side-by-side with Great Divideís regular Yeti, this still falls far short. Somewhat subtle signs of oak (chip) aging, the overwhelming difference between this beer and the regular Yeti is the fairly potent floral hops nature of this beer. Itís strongly floral hoppy, but not strongly bitter from hops. Roast is dominant up front, but the sweetness and the floral hops overpower the moderate roastiness in the finish, which is quite an achievement actually. A touch of vanilla, but if I didnít read the description of the beer, I donít think I would have even picked up the vanilla. The nose is more roasty than the flavor, but still quite sweet and floral as well. Black in color, with a bit of medium brown at the edges. Medium-to-full bodied, just like Yeti, but the hops really cleans out the finish. A light brown head tops the beer, an inch or so in height initially, fading to a swirly film over time. Even as this beer warms, the floral hops still is too dominant for my tastes. It sat in my cellar for only about 10 weeks, and I think perhaps aging this a full year or so would do wonders, but maybe thatís just me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ungstrup (28448) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - MAY 29, 2005
[Sampled tap at the brewery, thanks to Brian Dunn] A pitch black beer with a nice orange-brown head. The aroma is grassy combined roasted notes of chocolate. The flavor is sweet with loads of chocolate and loads of fresh hops, leading to a dry woody and hoppy finish. A fantastic beer, that came thru even though my expectations were high. Someday I want to try it side by side with the normal Yeti.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gachupines (796) - USA - MAY 28, 2005
Thick black appearance with a dark brown head. Taste is of dark coffee and chocolate with very strong oak flavor throughout. Pretty hoppy for this style, and strong bitter taste. Find this pretty enjoyable though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kxkeller (32) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 28, 2005
Black, black with a dark brown foamy head...strong notes of coffee and chocolate sweetness both in nose and taste...lots of hops and roasted bitterness from the black malts...lacks in body and sweetness to balance out the extremely bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
notalush (4631) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAY 27, 2005
Inky black, thick pour with a huge, dark tan head, bubbly, sticky lace - complex aroma of vanilla bourbon, coffee, and, of course, oak - the oak character to the beer is in not way subtle, itís in your face right from the beginning, which isnít necessarily a bad thing - quite assertively hoppy for the style, but this character works well with the wood and keeps the chocolatey sweetness in check - wood and lots of hops stay on in a very long, almost dry finish - quite unique.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Dalle (1145) - SkÝrping, DENMARK - MAY 27, 2005
Bottle. Pitch black with a lovely brown head - beautiful beer. Roasted, tar, oil, salty liqourice, wood bite, finish is LONG and quite bitter. Smooth, full bodied but after 6 fl.oz. it seemed thinner (less carbonation). Itís complex and full flavored, itís in your face and itís not really about balance. Canít say I loved this beer though I would like to try it again. My wife said that it tastes like the bile you get after having vomited seven times!?! She didnít like it :-) Thanks to Jeppe and Jens for getting me this bottle.