overall

RATINGS: 2455   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Great Divide’s Yeti Imperial Stout is an onslaught of the senses. An almost viscous, inky-black brew, Yeti opens with a massive, roasty, chocolate, coffee malt flavor that eventually gives way to rich toffee and burnt caramel notes. Packed with an enormous quantity of American hops, Yeti’s hop profile reveals a slightly citrusy, piney, and wonderfully dry hoppy finish. 75 International Bittering Units (IBUs).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 19, 2006
Bottle. Red winy roast malt aroma with tons of dark chocolate. toffee note. Ink black pour with small super brown head. Bitter, tons of chocolate and coffee, and earthy. Very strong alcohol presence, thick almost syrupy palate, a slow drinker. Gets a bit tiresome quickly. Proudly unbalanced. Some dark fruit notes. Big long earthy-coffee-bitter finish that dominates my impression of this beer. Somehow this should not qualift as a beverage, I feel like I need another beverage to wash this one down! Which I don’t really like doing with a "liquid"...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
henry3r (586) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - MAR 17, 2006
The bottle poured a thick black beverage with hints of ruby red coming through in strong light. There was a small, tan, creamy head that lasted throughout and left wonderful lacing on the glass. It resembled the froth on top of a perfectly made cup of espresso. The aromas were beautifully complex lead by moderately roasted grain, mild coffee and chocolate. Light herbal hop notes and sweet dough were present along with notes of ruby port and dried fruit. The body was very full with soft carbonation and an almost syrupy texture. The flavor started off moderately sweet and slowly changed character during the long finish to a light bitterness accompanied by a slight alcohol warmth. This one was WONDERFULL!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
rebelbrewer (125) - Lithonia, Georgia, USA - MAR 13, 2006
This was as black as the inside of a cow’s stomach. Poured into a snifter glass and got a 1/2 inch of brown creamy foam. This lasted less than a minute, giving way to a small ring on the inside of the glass. It was malty on first sniff. It had a molasses maybe chocolate aroma with a hint of the alcohol that lies within as I gave it another smell. It is not "onslaught of the senses" as the description on the bottle claims. I do not detect the "bold hop character" either. But, I’m a hophead and a beer really has to be hopped up to impress me on that count. Now that said, this is not a bad brew. It just does not meet the claims on the bottle. I just had another sip. No hops and very malty. It seems the brewer wants to highlight the hop character of this stout, "It weighs in at a hefty 75 IBUs." That may well be, but all that is lost to the malt. It is so sweet that my lips were sticking to the glass before I had finished this beer. It is smooth and creamy on the tongue. If someone gave me one I’d drink it. I would not go and buy another one. In fact I was in the very store today where I bought this "stout" and I did not buy another and never will. Why would I when its big brother Oak Aged Yeti is sitting next to it? I got 2 bottles of the Oak Yeti. I had this from a 22oz. bottle. No dates on the bottle. To me this is a brew that could benefit from some aging. I assume this was made in 2005. But, who could tell? To the brewers, "Date your bottles!" I do not like this "stout" because it is way too sweet for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beastiefan2k (2771) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - MAR 10, 2006
Basically, to me this is a milder form of the NC Old Rasputin. The bitternees ia a little less, and the flavor is a little less.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Tybalt (212) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - MAR 10, 2006
Pours black....and I mean black....like the way you would imagine your surroundings if you were buried 1700 feet underground....at night....during a lunar eclipse. There’s an awfully lot of hops in there for a stout, and to me, it sort of tastes like an IPA would if you were to roast it and thicken it up....and turn it black, of course.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
oldrtybastrd (3222) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - MAR 9, 2006
Pours a nice black. Coffee/chocolate and little tobacco aroma. Flavor is awesome, rich and smooth, like roasted espresso loaded with dark bitter chocolate and kinda sweet. The alcohol is well hidden among the massive flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Delirium (636) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAR 8, 2006
Bottle. Pours the typical motor-oil black of imperial stouts, with a very dark tan head. Aroma of malts, dried fruit, a bit of chocolate, and some hops. Taste is malty chocolate and dried fruits up front; almost some barley wine character at times. Balanced, especially in the finish, with some dry earthy hops, and just a tad of grapefruity and piney hops. Medium-bodied palate, with a nice long finish. Highly recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ruggedman (647) - Portland, Maine, USA - MAR 8, 2006
Dark black pour with a tan head. Taste and aroma are both very powerful. Tons of malt taste with hints of chocolate and coffee. Also, like most western beer brewers there’s a lot of hop in this stout. It’s got the pine and citrus hops that give it character and complexity that makes you want another just to make sure you get it right.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ATOmemphis (200) - Franklin, Tennessee, USA - MAR 5, 2006
Delicious! Great head, good smelling dark stout. Poured like a thin oil. A new favorite imperial stout. I like Stone’s better, but this is a very close second. I want another.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
RooftopRogue (423) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 4, 2006
This beer offers a nice hearty aroma of coffee blended with toffee. It pours as a black solution that rests under a thick milky brown head that sticks around a while. This moderately thick beer spreads well through the mouth tingling all the taste buds with the sweet taste of coffee and malt. Those flavors transform into a caramel flavor as the solution flows down the throat.