Great Grains Olde Ale

Great Grains Olde Ale
     click to upload

RATINGS: 13   MEAN: 1.83/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.94   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
This beer is aged in oak and is more like a Cabernet or Cognac. It is definitely an aquired taste and not for the weak.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Heat99 (56) - Austin, Texas, USA - DEC 18, 2001
Really strange brew...considering I didnít know it was a kreik lambic when I drank it. Very dark and red with slight cloudiness. Tasted more like a very carbonated wine than a beer. Almost as carbonated as soda. Its definitely a sipping beer. And a very fruity one at that. Took me a while to drink. I had it sitting in front of a fire watching some Christmas specials. Cheers, and happy holidays!

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Bierbrauer99 (2) - Texas, USA - DEC 17, 2001 does not count
After spending $4.00 for a bottle of this to bring home from the market, I was sorely disappointed. Iíve had some superb Belgian Lambic Krieks, but this was like a mix between sour cherries and cough syrup. I am hoping that it was just sour beer, perhaps exposed to some bacteria in this batch or packaging; because if this is the true flavor, I cannot see how this beer makes it. A group of beer appreciative friends and I passed it around, made a sour-beer face, and poured the product out. What a shame, Iíd had much higher expectations. Time to go grab a real Lambic Kriek, eh? Cheers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
dins (266) - Texas, USA - DEC 17, 2001
Thick and cloudy with a nice dark reddish color. Nice initial head, rapidly dissipates. Lambic sourness with cherry notes. Iíd guess about 8% by mouthfeel. Dry finish. Nice.