overall
Brewed by Great Lakes Brewing (Ontario)
Style: American Pale Ale
Etobicoke, Canada

RATINGS: 191   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
It’s been said that “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity.” This beer doesn’t help much with that crisis. From the fiercely irresponsible stereotypical image on the front of the can to the distinctly American style of the beer inside it – we’ve really made a mess of things. What have we done? Sorry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 13, 2010
Inviting aroma of citrus hops, some good malt too, dark amber, pours a firm finger of off-white head, leaving lots of pretty lace. Flavour is a good citrus kick from those hops, decent level of malt, orange/grapefruit, caramel and butterscotch notes. Medium bodied, very well balanced, good mouthfeel, creamy smooth, a fine bitterness. Terrific! Rated during the Opening Ceremonies for the XXI Winter Olympics, Let’s go Canada!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mijamdi (2) - Ottawa, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 14, 2010 does not count
After a couple bland experiences with other US style PAs that were well regarded here, I was quite deliberate about trying this one first at room temperature (because I was thinking that my refrigerator was homogenizing the character right out of my previous samples), but after reading what other reviewers have so far had to say about it, I’m still wondering if I even tasted the same product. “Grapefruit” dominated my first, middle and final impressions, From the moment I cranked the cap off my bottle (a 650 mL LCBO "bomber") and poured it, my nose was awash in the citrus / grapefruit aroma and it was far and away the first and most lasting taste to hit and then linger on my palate. My wife, who is basically a "beer is beer" person, even named the citrus family’s softball when she took a sip after my invitation to taste a “hoppy” beer. I quite liked it. With a gorgeous honey colour and homebrew quality froth in the head that lingered for a long time, this brew revealed itself as fresh, fruity, floral -- all the hallmarks you expect to find in a hoppy beer and despite the citrus / grapefruit predominance, it came across the palate as very nicely balanced. It’s a comfortable session brew that would also nicely accompany some zingy curries or rice dishes as a food pairing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheJester (2168) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 20, 2010
UPDATED: MAY 24, 2011 (2/20/2010) 650 mL bottle. Bronze with a nice fluffy white head. I’ve been reading about this one. I see that some people get diacetyl, and some people don’t. I did. It’s there in the aroma, and it’s there, to a lesser degree, in the flavour. In this beer, it takes the form of cracker jacks. Certainly not a drain pour, but it spoils what otherwise seems to be an solid beer. Lots of fresh Cascade flavour, nice bitterness. Body seems a little sweet and thin, perhaps. I want to like this one. Maybe they rushed it. Re-rate. 473 mL can. Pale bronze orange with as nice a head as I’ve ever seen on a pale ale. Lotsa grapefruit, apricot and pineapple in the aroma. Excellent. Nice hop flavour with some malt. Not too sweet, which is good. I’d like to see just a touch more bitterness in the finish. Just a wee touch. The finish is a little thin. Or somethingMuch improved, though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beer Snob (501) - Ontario, CANADA - JUN 10, 2011
500 ml can. Bad name and one of the worst can designs I have ever seen. Almost enough to put me off of trying this ale. Seriously, looks like the packaging was designed by the brewer’s 12 year old kid. But that’s immaterial, because the ale itself is a winner. A slight cloudiness in the pour which is a much lighter gold than I expected. Big fluffy head and a wonderful citrus aroma. Strong but not overwhelming bitterness that is balanced with a touch of breadiness. Only relative drawback - and this is probably by design - is that the body is a bit weaker than I’d prefer. But an easy drinking, fairly robust ale. Recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
robinvboyer (3532) - Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 23, 2011
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2011 On tap at volo. The aroma coming off this cask was incredible. Amazing juicy citrucy aromas. Every citrus fruit imaginable is in here somehwere. Good solid malting keeping the mouthfeel and bitterness in check and light enough to make this a solid drinking beer. Refreshing, and exploding with flavor. A really great beer.
Earlier Rating: 2/16/2010 Total Score: 3.8
650ml from the lcbo. Amber pour with a fluffy white head. I’m seeing alot of people talking about a buttery diacetyl aroma and flavor but I’m not getting any. I guess I got lucky. A great citrus aroma with some juicy hops and a slight caramel maltiness. Quite bitter in the finish but the hops are really nice with some great citrus notes. I’m really quite impressed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MartinT (8550) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 16, 2011
My Bottom Line :
Oranges leap from this American-style Pale Ale’s aroma, as earthy angles and effective caramel malts lead to resinous bitterness.

Further Personal Perceptions :
-A sturdy sheet of foam covers the hazy pale amber.
-This is another beautifully-hopped brew from Great Lakes (see Miami Weisse for another one).
-The caramel malt flavor are simple but they support the hops ably.
-Mouthfeel is creamy, an apt balance of residual sugars and active effervescence.
-Hops also have an earthy touch throughout.

Can.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Plovmand (6991) - Helsinge, DENMARK - MAR 17, 2012
Can at home. Trade from TheJester. Pours almost clear golden with a medium white head. The aroma is passion fruit, citrus, light peach and caramel. The flavour is citrussy with notes of fresh fruit, caramel and some resin. Bitter fruity finish. Lovely brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
neongolden (758) - Linköping, Sweden/Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 26, 2012
(473mL can from LCBO) Poured cool, a slightly hazy medium gold with a rocky white head that faded quickly. Aroma citrus-dominated, some grapefruit in particular, faint malt. Flavour again hoppy, a little malty sweetness at first but strongly grapefruit pith, citrus, quenching and a little acidic. Moderate bitterness coming in, finishes tinny and dry. Body fairly lightweight, high soda-pop carbonation, Not too complex but a very refreshing summer pale ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
HeistAlmighty (1156) - Saint John, New Brunswick, CANADA - JUL 7, 2012
Sample from tall can. Gold colour with decent white head. Aroma is grapefruit and some mild pine and floral. Taste is strong west coast hops without being too bitter and some mild light malt. Body is crisp and light without being too thin. Overall, almost an IPA in hops but lighter in body and malt. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
GuillaumeCL (344) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 23, 2012
Can from the brewery. Pours a copper gold colour with a little bit of white head that dissipates quickly and leave lots of lacing. Smell is quite nice, definitely hoppy with some floral and citrus notes. Palate is a bit thin, but has very nice carbonation. Taste is surprisingly good, a bit of watery hoppy bitterness at first, then it rounds out with a bit of sour sweetness, and a lingering bitter aftertaste. Very nice, and surprisingly good.