Brewed by Great Lakes Brewing (Ontario)
Style: Malt Liquor
Etobicoke, Canada

RATINGS: 8   MEAN: 2.91/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.84   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%

HogTownHarry's rating

HogTownHarry (5984) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, - SEP 21, 2012
UPDATED: MAR 15, 2013 Draught at Bar Hop. There comes a time in the life of a true aesthete when words, mere symbolic representation of the posited external universe fail utterly and completely: when presented with a phenomenon clearly beyond reproducibility by the ability of mortal sentient beings - beyond the constraints of the building block "matter" available to said entities - beyond, in fact, any Creator or Cosmic Dustman’s ken .... Updated March 15, 2013. Just found out There is no God, therefore this cannot be of divine origin. Plus my original score apparently violates several international treaties and was potentially about to cause a war with North Korea, Iran and Poland. Original score: 5+10+5+10+20=5.0 This is that moment, that phenomenon, that time. Humble thyself. Admit your unworthiness. Tip your server.

blankboy (5798) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 22, 2013
My previous rating was deleted because I liked the brew too much or something. I ain’t rewriting it all so here’s something appropriate I found instead:
Oh 40s I love you so
You’ve always been there for me
To drink whilst outside it snows
Or to help deal with family
You help me do some hoodrat shit
Or celebrate a holiday
Edward 40-Hands makes me vomit
But never more than $2 I pay
Malt liquor is the golden brew
Which I prefer in my hand
And so I write this heartfelt Ode
To my life in 40s –land.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Spab (2124) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 22, 2012
On tap at the Only (at Great Lakes Tap Takeover for 2012 Toronto Beer Week). Pours a lightly hazy golden yellow with modest-sized white head. Aroma is sweet fresh grains, light fruit, alcohol and light hoppiness. Flavour is sweet bready grains, slightly sour apple and alcohol with a gentle citric/earthy hoppiness that really emerges as it warms. A very nice malt liquour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
herrbrown1974 (424) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 21, 2012
I’m not sure I’m in on the 5’s joke, but this is definitely finer than me. And the last malt liquor I ever drank, which came in a 40oz bottle. Went down smooth and slightly sour, like a drunken f#*^ on a Saturday night.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
mabel (5371) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 24, 2012
[4430-20120521] Tap. Very strong and pungent aroma, has some toilet cleaner and coconut hints. Hazy, light orange body with a quick foamy white head. Strikingly strong spiced booze beverage. Medium-full body. Not a fan. I should have heeded the warning -- this one is clearly meant only for Fine Gentlemen. (2/3/3/2/5) 1.5
(Brewer’s Backyard @ Brick Works, Toronto, ON)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
jercraigs (7337) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 22, 2012
UPDATED: MAR 15, 2013 2012-05-21. The fair haired maiden bid us goodbye as we left the confines of the modern structure and made our way out into the rugged terrain of the ancient brick building. The sign on the wall dubbed it The Kilns. Many years ago it had glowed hot with the fires burning in the tunnels. It once provided much needed sanctuary to the hobos and vagrants of the Don Valley, protecting the lost souls from the oppressive cold of a particularly harsh Canadian winter. When we emerged from the other end a fellow traveler called us near and bid us to partake of the pale golden straw coloured liquid flowing from her tiny polystyrene goblet. The muted aroma offered by said vessel gave only small indications of what to expect, whispers of grass and prairie like cereals. On the tongue it shared the rough hewn nature of our industrial surroundings - the grains from which it was birthed had been worked hard like the kilns of yore - yet it maintained a level of acceptability and refinement rarely seen in its brethren. The cool liquid was smooth upon my lips but its alcoholic nature did little to quench my thirst under the blazing sun of a Canadian summer just begun. I had sipped but a small amount of Dirtbag McQuaig’s namesake brew, just the tip, some might call it. It was scarcely more than one might pour out in humble remembrance of one’s fallen compatriots, but I felt that to be in its presence, was to understand it, and to follow in the footsteps of the many Fine Gentleman that had gone before me, on the this the anniversary of the departed Queen Victoria. Once a proud 5, downgraded through the deflation of time. Imbibed at The Brewer’s Backyard, The Brick Works, Toronto.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JoeMcPhee (8188) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 21, 2012
Drunk from the bottle. Pale golden coloured brew sparkles like the morning sun on a dewdrop on a blade of grass that I've just pissed on. The aroma of sweet corn and sweet nothings whispered into the ear of a one legged prostitute named Chloe. As I chug the pale liquid I'm reminded of every bad decision I've ever made and I think, "ah, what's one more?". Like many things I've done, I'm both proud and ashamed of how much I liked this. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

garthicus (2591) - Dublin, IRELAND - APR 18, 2012
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2013 Amazing. Beautiful golden orange body, seems almost hypnotic, thick white head as if the clouds had fallen from heaven. Aroma: Perfection itself. Flavour, like God wrung his socks out in Angels Share and bottled it.