Great Lakes Brewing Orange Peel Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Great Lakes Brewing (Ontario)
Style: Fruit Beer
Etobicoke, Canada
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 131   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.96   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
In our quest to bring you the most flavourful and unique beers possible, we are proud to release this tasty spring beer. Handcrafted with five specialty malts and five varieties of hops, along with just a touch of honey, we added heaps of fresh oranges and peels into the boil. A little different, you say? We sure hope so. Orange Peel Ale balances the unique flavour of oranges with generous amounts of hops to achieve a slightly fruity and refreshing taste. We are proud to offer this limited edition beer as we celebrate our 20th anniversary of brewing excellence.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Fred82 (2114) - Québec City, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 17, 2009
Bottle. Pours clear yellow with no head. Aroma of malt, wheat and maybe a small hint of orange. Taste is malt and wheat. Nothing really special there. Disapointing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bhensonb (10902) - Woodland, California, USA - AUG 10, 2009
Bottle from matt7215. Thanks once more! Pours a slighty hazy orange amber with a rapidly diminishing white head. Aroma seems a complex blend of malt and orange. Near medium body with foamy carbonation. Flavor is orange zest and nicely roasted malt. Not so much a fruit beer as an interesting pale ale, if you can accept using orange oil in place of hop. Not saying there are no hops, just that there’s a lot of bitter orange oil. And bitter is what it’s all about. Finishes mildly astringent and highly tasty. Surprisingly good stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
VertBaconStrips (2069) - Assat, Alberta, CANADA - AUG 2, 2009
Poured out a thin looking beer, bright orange and super clear, decent foamy white head that foams up nicely but fades away to a bit more than just rim. The aroma is very very nice , mainly cause I like orange. But here’s the thing: from a distance or a quick sample its very very appealing with it’s vitamin C supplement smell ( what the hell was that stuff called? It was like big pills that were orange, smelled of fake orange and dissolved in water.... is that still sold? anyone?.. ack... gotta ask my parents tomorrow - they are old - they will know:D) but once you really take a good huff that fake almost sour orange aroma buts mixed in with a bunch of faceless malts and hops that don’t compliment each other. This is not saying that the aroma is bad, just off. The taste, for a second is very fresh with the orange stuff but then a drying dullness with bunch of mild strength hops take over. Further tasting widens the orange realm but I don’t like how the bitterness finishes it off. The malts and hops, however, do balance each other out nicely. Damn. I really like the orange here but the hop blend does not match as much as I would like. With that said, I still am enjoying this beer due to the orange edges. The aftertaste has the flavour of licking blood off of your hand and that bothers me. It’s only on the very back end of the finish though - the rest is pretty good - ample soft carbonation, tang form the oranges hits mid taste on every sip, light bodied... I’m just conflicted on the hops here, even in their mild state. I think I really like this beer and if I wasn’t analyzing I’d like it more. Still, it is very light. I’ll just flip a coin... and the winner is... ack! It landed on edge.....

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
sinkhole (263) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 6, 2009
Pours copper/orange with average white head. Aromas of malt and orange peel. Tastes of bitter orange peel with some hops, a little malt sweetness and a touch of added spice (ginger?). Overall a solid beer but leaves me wanting. Too much bitter orange peel perhaps?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
gilvanblight (772) - Windsor, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 2, 2009
Orangey pour with a really thick head. The name and look make me think of a creamcicle. Thankfully it doesn’t taste like one. Scent of hops and grains. Distinct Great Lakes scent. Taste is suprisingly bitter, Thick with a warm finish. Really well balanced. Slight spice aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
dmschefke (566) - Macomb, Michigan, USA - JUL 2, 2009
Bottle thanks to Matt7215. Pours a nice slightly amber gold with a thick white head. Aroma obvious of orange, citrus, slight malt, and a decent hop presence. Flavor matches well and is very easy to drink and enjoyable, but nothing all that special. Definitely enjoyable though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
mannika (140) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 28, 2009
650mL bottle. Pours clear golden-amber with quickly dissipating head. Light hoppy aroma with slight element of citrus - no overpowering orange aroma. Flavour is quite bitter - more ’peel’ elements than ’orange’. Finish is clean with a bit of lingering bitterness. Overall a bit different than expected - not quite as refreshing or fruity as I would have hoped.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
cfrancis (2309) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 19, 2009
Aroma is honey, hop and faint orange. Taste is hop, orange citrus and malt. Pleasant enough special beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Diogène (1066) - Mirabel, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 24, 2009
Bottle. Clear yellow with a thin foamy head with poor to average retention and average lacing. Aroma is sweet malt and orange and mandarine... quite faint. Flavor is fake orange (like orange Mr freeze or orange slush) with some malt and a bit of floral hops. Slightly bitter finish. Medium body with a fizzy carbonation.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BostonFox (26) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 8, 2009
I haven’t had an Orange Peel since the summer when they brew it but I think I’ve had enough on patios around Toronto to nail this review like I had one yesterday. First of all, this beer falls into a great catagory for me - flavorful, unique and crisp while remaining extremly drinkable. The beer looks great - a bold orange - and possesses a subtle malt and orange aroma. The flavor is again subtle orange - enough but not too much - with a nice malt backing. Nicely balanced. Can’t wait for patio season......this brew is under rated by some - big time. Why?