Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale

overall

RATINGS: 1199   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
An assertively hopped American Pale Ale with citrusy and piney Cascade hops. Subtle malt flavors balance the hop profile and provide a satisfying dry finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
thedaidai (15) - - APR 15, 2014
I was mightily, mightily disappointed with this one. I should preface this by saying in my experience, everything outside of the Commodore Perry IPA I have tried by Great Lakes Brewing company nowhere near lived up to its reputation. This one is just too damn malty for a beer I expect a lot of Cascade hop flavor from. The citrusyness I expect from a Cascade-heavy brew is entirely overpowered by the almost bitter chocolate of the malt background. This is a very, very malty pale ale to the extent I struggled to enjoy it. I drank it less than a month from its brew date, yet the hop character of my bottles were subdued at best behind this maltiness and it really took away from the beer. I think my 3.4 rating is generous, honestly. I can’t believe this thing is an 89% on some beer sites and 90+ here on ratebeer. Very overrated. Would not buy again unless it were under $10/6pack because I know I can get better quality pale ales from DC Brau, Flying Dog, Green Flash, and countless others. Sometimes I wonder if Great Lakes just gets inflated ratings from Midwest customers, because my experience with "Cleveland’s Best" almost always leaves me wanting an East or West coast beer to wash the taste away.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
solidfunk (3023) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - APR 15, 2014
Alright. Some light citrus, some light bitter finish. Malt doesn’t make a huge showing. Session pale ale. On tap at DC Beer Festival.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
brianairb85 (67) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 1, 2014
Bottle-Pours golden with very little visible carbonation. Its head is white, fizzes up but does not last. This is a great Pale Ale for any lover of the brew. Light hops with piney and citrusy flavors, defiantly is as advertised. GOOD BREW.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Daytonbeer (585) - Ohio, USA - MAR 22, 2014
Pours burnt orange with off white head and tons of lacing. Aroma of citrus and soft fruit. Taste is the same with a noticeable bitter bit and sweet honey malt for balance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Maverick34 (2068) - New York, USA - MAR 21, 2014
Bottled. Orange to brown pour. String piney hops and resiny character. Bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
camborne (655) - Hopkins, Minnesota, USA - MAR 10, 2014
Solid brew, citrus, resin and just enough malts. Good strong bitter finish really works here

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
lukedarock (108) - Howell, Michigan, USA - FEB 19, 2014
A extremely smooth apa that gives a pine and hoppy feel, I was impressed by the aroma of strong hops and citrus, this has to rank close to the top in its respective style

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Johncmug (8) - USA - FEB 19, 2014 does not count
Citrus aroma with a sweet watermelon taffy smell. Citrus taste, not bitter at all. Dry and falls off the tongue. Excellent pale ale.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
greg122 (7) - - FEB 18, 2014 does not count
Disgustingly bitter. Undrinkable. Don?t waste your money........,.....................

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20