overall

RATINGS: 1216   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
An assertively hopped American Pale Ale with citrusy and piney Cascade hops. Subtle malt flavors balance the hop profile and provide a satisfying dry finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - DEC 27, 2002
What can I say about the city of my birth other than that how great it is that a brewery there named a beer after how the ultra-polluted river caught on fire. Good carbonation. Sediment apparent. Mostly diminishing head. Hoppy aroma. Hoppy taste. A real good bitter beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - DEC 25, 2002
Excellent Pale Ale. Huge citris hop head, hop dominated flavor and a long finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hopscotch (8914) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - DEC 22, 2002
The aroma consists of grapefruit and sweet clover honey with smaller notes of caramel and perfume. The flavor is sweet and malty up front with bursts of caramel and red wine... also, a fruit I canít identify. Itís in there, but after ten minutes, I gave up trying to figure out which fruit it is. Maybe something Iíve never tried, such as a Paw Paw. Lightly bitter and acetic on the backside with a whisper of red (not purple) grapes. Sparkling clear copper hue. Small, frothy, khaki-colored head. Mostly, but not fully diminishing... much like my several thousand shares of WorldCom stock. Medium-bodied with light carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. Lengthy, tangy, mostly dry finish with a slight straw-like flavor at the far end. This beer was very difficult for me to describe, aroma and flavor-wise. Interestingly and creatively hopped.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
hayden1215 (321) - Ohio, USA - DEC 21, 2002
Good beer, Dosenít quite have the finish the other Great Lakes brews have

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - DEC 16, 2002
This is a rerate. I had a bad experience with the bottle... I tried it on tap and it is Amazing! Nice and hoppy. Has a nice head and a super aroma, Floural and Fruity.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - DEC 13, 2002
Good on tap. Foamy, thick head. Excellent taste of citrus (grapefruit?) and hops. This is especially pleasing to me, as most pale ales have too much hop bite for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - DEC 12, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 22, 2003 This is my new favorite pale ale. Bursting complex hop aroma. Citric hop flavor frames awesome toasty malt, which has a lot to it. A ton of orange, pear and apricot flavor. This is superb.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - DEC 3, 2002
Maybe my tastes are altered from living on the west coast, but I would not describe this beer as being íassertively hoppedí. Pleasant hop aroma and flavor, with just enough malt to give balance. Just didnít have the pungent cascade hop aroma and flavor I expect from an APA. Donít get me wrong, though, itís definitely a good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DEbeer (192) - West Virginia, USA - DEC 2, 2002
I like this beer. The finish is a lot like one of my favorites, WV Appalachian Ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - NOV 30, 2002
This beer exhibits a nice, but restrained PNW hop aroma. The carbonation is very lively, perhaps, a tad bit too much. The palate is fairly balanced, but the finish is definitely hop accented. Overall, BRPA is very enjoyable and well built.