overall

RATINGS: 1227   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
An assertively hopped American Pale Ale with citrusy and piney Cascade hops. Subtle malt flavors balance the hop profile and provide a satisfying dry finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
nakedwhendrunk (2113) - Juneau, Alaska, USA - JUN 5, 2014
Reviewed from notes. Always poured into a pint glass. The appearance was a nice golden amber close to orange color with a decent transparency about it and highlighting some light carbonation that was seen rising. The head was about a finger’s worth and slightly foamy as the head died and left some thick lacing clinging fairly nicely. The smell had a super nice allocation of bitter piney to slightly citrusy hops and still lets a nice sweetness take the helm at odd times throughout the beer (doesn’t really combine together), but still is good for the most part. The taste was mainly sweet and bitter at separate times. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium in body with a decent sessionable quality about it. The carbonation is still good and slightly sharp for an APA. Overall, I say this was a nicely done APA for the most part. Though something about the smell was a bit different, I’d still have this one again.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Adubs (8) - Columbus, Indiana, USA - JUN 4, 2014 does not count
This is a surprisingly smooth pale ale. Very nice. Oddly very little aftertaste. Nice amber color with right amount of head. I assume this review isn't overly skewed by the sunshine and Bonamassa playing, but this is a good one. (12 oz bottle) ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
johnnymusky (245) - Minnesota, USA - MAY 26, 2014
Decent pale ale.....nothing to spectacular...very drinkable beer with good malt citrus and hop flavor...very smooth finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
GIJOE (635) - North Berwick, Maine, USA - MAY 20, 2014
Golden pour with a frothy, white head. Generous lacing. Nose is light grapefruity hop. Taste is mildly bitter on a mellow, malt backdrop. Medium body. Vigorous carbonation. Very nice pale! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tmm313 (55) - Georgia, USA - MAY 10, 2014
I hereby declare this the greatest Pale Ale on the planet! It was one of those "there you are, I’ve been looking for you" moments we’re all striving for. THE most perfect session beer I have ever found!

1.1
   AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
mtka70 (2) - Minnesota, USA - MAY 5, 2014 does not count
This is probably the worst beer I’ve ever had. It had what I assume was a very bitter malt taste. And, it left an aftertaste i couldn’t get rid of. I bought a six-pack of this stuff, based on its ratings. 5 bottles hit the garbage this morning.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
thornecb (4400) - Marblehead, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 1, 2014
Pours gold into a shaker. Off-white head with medium retention recedes leaving no lacing. Bread and cracker aromas. Sweet caramel and bread upfront turning to resin in the lasting bitter finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
bigrond (1478) - factoryville, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 29, 2014
Very surprised this beer scored so high. It felt a little nondescript to me. Definitely didn’t feel the hops presence that the description states. A decent brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
thedaidai (21) - - APR 15, 2014
I was mightily, mightily disappointed with this one. I should preface this by saying in my experience, everything outside of the Commodore Perry IPA I have tried by Great Lakes Brewing company nowhere near lived up to its reputation. This one is just too damn malty for a beer I expect a lot of Cascade hop flavor from. The citrusyness I expect from a Cascade-heavy brew is entirely overpowered by the almost bitter chocolate of the malt background. This is a very, very malty pale ale to the extent I struggled to enjoy it. I drank it less than a month from its brew date, yet the hop character of my bottles were subdued at best behind this maltiness and it really took away from the beer. I think my 3.4 rating is generous, honestly. I can’t believe this thing is an 89% on some beer sites and 90+ here on ratebeer. Very overrated. Would not buy again unless it were under $10/6pack because I know I can get better quality pale ales from DC Brau, Flying Dog, Green Flash, and countless others. Sometimes I wonder if Great Lakes just gets inflated ratings from Midwest customers, because my experience with "Cleveland’s Best" almost always leaves me wanting an East or West coast beer to wash the taste away.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
solidfunk (4008) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - APR 15, 2014
Alright. Some light citrus, some light bitter finish. Malt doesn’t make a huge showing. Session pale ale. On tap at DC Beer Festival.