Great Lakes Locktender Lager

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 90   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.07   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Golden Munich helles lager with a mild hop profile and slightly malty flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Cliff (399) - The Land of Milk and Honey, Ohio, USA - OCT 28, 2008
Had this quite a while ago, very similiar to regular Dortmunder, but lighter in flavor and body. A very nice beer that I wish was still in regular production.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ogglethorp (917) - Ohio, USA - DEC 5, 2006
Bottle. Pours bright golden color, clear, with a medium rocky white head. Aroma is lemon, malt, straw. Flavor is some lemon, malt, honey, grain. Good for the style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
1FastSTi (3334) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 12, 2006
Tap. Pours to a clean golden body with a white head. The aroma is silage and not very good. The flavor is icky. Grains galore and nasty lager yeast flavors. Man, I can do without this one. Thank God I only had a sample. Had I decided on a glass, Iíd have wanted my money back. Unappealing palate. Was not that good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
auerbrau (3164) - Peace Dale, Rhode Island, USA - NOV 11, 2006
Tart lemon earth aroma, spritzy with aged hops and grain husks. Percolatingly hazy golden, with a rocky cream of white. Flavor a very plain and longingly sweet sugary malt over a light body of lemon dust. Malt is clean, but very plain and subdued, however tending a few distant esters and some background yeast notes. Bright and refreshing. Not much depth or character, which I find unfortunate in the this example. Itís almost too americanized for me. But, cleaniness appreciated and light euro hop parch provides welcome balance to the finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
brummbar (2) - Virginia, USA - OCT 21, 2005 does not count
Itís a great example of a Munich Helles. Iím not sure if I like it better than Hacker Pschorrís fine Edel-Hell, but they are close. one of my favorite styles of beer. not a "light beer" at all but a specialty lager with lawnmower malt flavors and nice fresh tettanger hop flavors. Superb summer lager.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
kujo9 (1093) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - OCT 14, 2005
12 oz bottle: Rated a while ago! Crystal clear deep golden body w/ a lasting white head. Aroma is of clean grainy and toasty malt, a light DMS, also a bit of malty sweetness in the aroma. Clean flavor, well balanced throughout w/ a sweet, malty finish. Toasty malt dominates w/ no hop presence. Lighter medium body, medium carbonation, smooth m/f. Overall a good beer, Iím actually a bit surprised they are discontinuing this one! Not their best, but this would appeal to the non "good beer" drinkers in Cleveland!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TINOZACCA (146) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - OCT 7, 2005
I donít usually enjoy these soapy german style lagers. But this one is very good. The color is nice and golden, witha decent head. The aroma is strong of hops. And the flavor is full and ends witha very good bitterness. A very good lager.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jde123 (763) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 26, 2005
One of the very best dortmunderís I have experienced, which is saying a lot because I donít particularly enjoy these types of beers. I didnít pour this one, so I canít speak of its color, however, the aroma was pure and clean, as was the finish. The taste was very smooth, flowed like honey, although not as sweet as honey. So that really isnít an apt comparison.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
ecbeerguy (86) - East Chicago, Indiana, USA - MAY 30, 2005
I donít think this is a lager at all. Itís more of a hefe-weizen. Itís very citrusy, with a small head. Itís tasty, but I donít see how itís labeld a lager.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
dirtyc (173) - Erie, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 29, 2005
I dont know if I have any more to say, Great Lakes is simply a great brewery and I enjoy all of it, great job!