overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 839   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Often referred to as Burning River Pale Aleís big brother, this stock ale is remarkably balanced for such a highly hopped beer. A rich deep blood red color makes this beer scary enough to be served every Halloween and a few other times of the year.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - MAR 9, 2003
Great nose, head and lace, dark orange hue. Nice drink with whiskey finish. Best of the great lakes!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - DEC 16, 2002
This is great stuff -- of course -- itís Great Lakes ! The malt/hop balance is perfect for me -- I would not call it Burning Riverís big brother, however. This beer is in an altogether different league.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerdedbastard (22) - Willoughby, Ohio, USA - NOV 26, 2002
I am rating this beer from the MANY,many memories(some best forgotten!)I have of pints at the pub,in Great Lakes.This WAS the íholy grailí of ales in Cleveland.It was originally a fall seasonal,but developed into a ícult-favoriteí over the years,and is made more frequently now.It has never been bottled,to my knowledge;I would love to see that,because I just dont get the chance to go the 2600+miles to get it often enough! The reddish,blood-like hue is a sinister preview of what this brew has in store.A full bodied flush of soothing mouthfeel flows over the tounge and down the gullet so quickly,that as you put the glass down,believing you were in a safe warm,comfy-place...you get the tap on your shoulder.As you turn to see whoís there,you are confronted by a monsterous hop presence;which proceeds to make you quiver,like a graphitti artist being caned in Singapore.As you fall under the NOSSís will( and you WILL...Be Warned!)you will awaken from itís spell, some hours later,in a world you may have created while you were away... Watch your step(this one goes down soooo easy)and stay on a lighted path,and you may just be able to walk away from this experience;enlightened, yet un-altered!!! I was informed by a friend back there that the recent release was just as great as I remembered...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bender (293) - Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - NOV 12, 2002
STRONG stuff. Went well with the food that night.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
zenbrew99 (20) - USA - APR 27, 2002
Great color! I bought this beer cause it had a cool name. Wish it was more accessible to this area.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - APR 15, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 7, 2004 Humongus HOPS!! (85 IBU) Dark, dark copper/red color. A bright tangy hop taste at first, then a warm firey hop/malt taste stays with you and lingers a long long time. The first time I had this (10/01), I didn't really care for it, but I've since gained a greater appreciation of hops. Still not my favorite, but it's growing on me. (tasted at the pub, 4/13/02)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mikeybaby99 (6) - Ohio, USA - NOV 8, 2001 does not count
Deep red in color, served every Halloween. I bought a half gallon from the pub while I could- they sold their entire seasonal stock within a few days! Massively hopped with strong flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ravidesai (940) - Bombay, INDIA - NOV 4, 2001
An interesting beer. I thought it was a very hoppy barley wine rather than an ale. massively hopped with a strong alcohol finish. worth a try.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 23, 2001
Non hop lovers need not apply. This is a hop loverís dream. It is a beautiful reddish amber color. Quite pretty. I generally donít like highly hopped beers (IPAís and the ilk) but I really appreciated this. This is one of the hoppiest beers Iíve had but it wasnít overwhelming.